Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Best digital SLR for beginner

Big Yuley

Hi all,

Have had a little Panasonic Lumix for my last 4 trips to Thailand, and have had no problems with it and am happy with it.

However, Im looking to move up in the world and would like to get a Digital SLR

For all you camera buffs out there, what DIgital SLR would you recommend as a good starting point for me.

Ideally I am after something user friendly, and something that I can be comfortable carrying around with me at night in a camera bag that is not overly bulky or heavy

I look at CNET alot, and there first few recommendations for SLR for beginners are Nikon D3100, Canon E05 550D or Sony Alpha SLT-A33.

Price wise, I dont want to spend thousands and thousands of dollars, but also dont want to buy the cheapest on the market.

Eagerly await feedback.

:001_Thank_You5:

Big Yuley

These are the exact two cameras I was looking at. I spent some time talking with they guys at an actual camera/photo shop (not a big box store) about them and playing with them. I have pretty much settled on the 3100. There were no faults with the 3100 in my mind. The only thing I didn't like about the A33 was that it felt uncomfortable in my hands. I don't have that big of hands, but it felt very small trying to grip it. The one thing I liked better on the A33 compared to the 3100 was Sony's translucent shutter. Multiple picture taking was super faster although I personally think the focus/clarity suffered.

Gday Big fella,

Im a long time Canon user. I still prefer the results from their range of sensors and their own post edit software which is tuned to their sensor algorithm.

The best advice I have for you is this. You say beginner. Does this imply that further down the track you will purchase a higher end model, such as a full frame sensor etc. If so then you need to take careful account of the type of lenses you purchase. Not all lenses from lower end cropped sensors will be usable. Look into the deals then have a look at ebay for a 2nd hand full frame camera such as the Canon 5d (MkII) ( or equivalent other brand).

With higher end SLRs they usually dont have a built in popup flash. This is actually a good thing and hot shoe flashes which are more controllable are not that expensive.

The settings on a higher end camera dont differ greatly, if at all from the entry level cameras, there are usually a few extra features but mostly it is in the specs such as sensor size and iso range.

Im in perth, if you find any deals ebay etc and you want some feedback please feel free to PM me

Coops

ITS MY GAMBLE YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN GGF

Club C4C

Club BB (sigh)

Club 3DR

Gday Big fella,

Im a long time Canon user. I still prefer the results from their range of sensors and their own post edit software which is tuned to their sensor algorithm.

The best advice I have for you is this. You say beginner. Does this imply that further down the track you will purchase a higher end model, such as a full frame sensor etc. If so then you need to take careful account of the type of lenses you purchase. Not all lenses from lower end cropped sensors will be usable. Look into the deals then have a look at ebay for a 2nd hand full frame camera such as the Canon 5d (MkII) ( or equivalent other brand).

With higher end SLRs they usually dont have a built in popup flash. This is actually a good thing and hot shoe flashes which are more controllable are not that expensive.

The settings on a higher end camera dont differ greatly, if at all from the entry level cameras, there are usually a few extra features but mostly it is in the specs such as sensor size and iso range.

Im in perth, if you find any deals ebay etc and you want some feedback please feel free to PM me

Coops

thanks guys.

i will have a look around and hit you back for any advice

cheers

Fellas I would recommend the Nikon D40 its a great starter camera for the first time users of SLR.

She Loves Me I Love United That's Life !!!

Man UTD Isn't Just A Team, Its A RELIGION !

You can be my Wife but only for Tonight !

stick with the Lumix... i just picked one up and i'm about to sell my Canon EOS 350D. great camera and i've made some beautiful images with it but its too big for my current requirements. it is very easy to use so if you have to go with a DSLR of this kind, go with one of the canons :2Cents1:

Sexy Pattaya Girls @ ShakeGirl.com - Follow Shake Girl on Facebook & Twitter

• 2 weeks later...

Wow..Mr dom..excellent photos...you know i have been looking at getting a point and shoot for myself for an x-mas present...but after seeing your photo shots...im looking at a DSLR now...im just a beginner..but would love to have pics, that turn out like your...thanks for sharing!!

MavSig2.gif

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="100" width="200" data="http://www.usflashmap.com/component/cdt_new/cdt2_3.swf">'>http://www.usflashmap.com/component/cdt_new/cdt2_3.swf">

<param name="movie" value="http://www.usflashmap.com/component/cdt_new/cdt2_3.swf" />

<param name="base" value="http://www.usflashmap.com/component/cdt_new/" />

<param name="flashvars" value="

&timer=3&

&time_template=3:ss;2:mm;1:hh;0:dd&

&time_color=0x000000&

&label_color=0x000000&

&background_color=0xffffff&

&flare_view=true&

&time_label=d:DAY;h:HOUR;m:MIN;s:SEC&

&time_zone=(GMT -09:00) Alaska&

&event_time=year:2011;month:4;day:15;hour:0;minute:0;seconds:0&

&event_duration=year:0;month:0;day:0;hour:0;minute:0;seconds:0&