IGNORED

ลุย

herds

Anyone have a way of elaborating what this word means, i've checked the dictionaries but still can't really work it out, their translations don't literally co-inside with what i've heard. As I only have come across the word from the idiom เข้าหูซ้้ายทะลุหูขวา where the ลุ is part of the word ทะลุ (to pass through).

Simple enough but I was watching ละคร the other day (i know i know, it's for study, honest) and these two women were talking, the first woman says a sentence something like:

นังน้ำแหล่ะผิด... เราไปลุยกันเลย

and then the later the other women (who has just been betrayed by her boyfriend says something like)

ฉันลุยคนเดียวได้

Is it like "mess". For example in the first Sentence. "That girl Nam, she's tottally wrong... we'll sort this mess out together once and for all." and then "I'll sort (this mess) out myself.

I may have completely missed it and it's not ลุย but i'm pretty sure it was.

Edited by herds

Anyone have a way of elaborating what this word means, i've checked the dictionaries but still can't really work it out, their translations don't literally co-inside with what i've heard. As I only have come across the word from the idiom เข้าหูซ้้ายทะลุหูขวา where the ลุ is part of the word ทะลุ (to pass through).

ไทยวีซ่า.com :)

ps what dictionaries do you use? lexitron?

pps +1 for such an interesting question - hope you'll post the answer even if you don't get it here.

Edited by el_jefe

have i missed something, what's the relevence of ไทยวีซ่า.com site?

I use thai-language.com and thai2english.com, I also have a little ipod dictionary app as well.

have i missed something, what's the relevence of ไทยวีซ่า.com site?

I use thai-language.com and thai2english.com, I also have a little ipod dictionary app as well.

I just meant as you know as well, that they seem to be better suited to answering more advanced questions.

what did i know? งง I use those dictionary sites for the dictionary

I guess I didn't really think of it as an advanced question, it's just one word that I searching for a better explanation of.

Edited by herds

haha, www.ไทยวีซ่า.com first I went there directly (using that address), thinking the word was ไทยวิชา and was some cool new site, until I read it properly and realised the forum you mean now.

Well, I must admit that I couldn't see the word in the idiom you posted. Anyway, I'm not familiar with the word ลุย but one of the meanings for it I found meant 'ready to rumble'. So, if you heard it right it could well mean that she's ready to rumble on her own.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Ah yeah, it's ลุ not ลุย in that sentence, my mistake, must have put 2 and 2 together and got 5 thinking ทะลุ was similar because of the 'wade through' definition I saw.

I suppose the girl had been betrayed by her boyfriend so she was looking to rumble/fight/kick ass, heh.

Edited by herds

Ah yeah, it's ลุ not ลุย in that sentence, my mistake, must have put 2 and 2 together and got 5 thinking ทะลุ was similar because of the 'wade through' definition I saw.

I suppose the girl had been betrayed by her boyfriend so she was liking looking to rumble/fight/kick ass, heh.

That's what I'd say as it would fit in nicely with the rest of the conversation and context.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Emailed a thai friend, she came back with all this:

"i think you got that right for " i will sort this mess out myself." or "...take care ...." ( but i've never used these before in English.)

เราไปลุยกันเลย to me is like LET's GO. but it just sounds like you're gonna go fight or do some hard work but it doesn't have to though.

ฉันลุยคนเดียวได้ is like you can handle all this by yourself. example: "ฉันลุยเองคนเดียวได้น่า ไม่ต้องห่วงหรอก" and then you go do it on your own.

you might also see "ลุยเลยเพื่อน!" which means like Go for it, i think. and "ลุยเลย! จะกลัวอะไร" .

me, i'd just say "เอาเลย!", "ลุยเลย!" ..... but that's quite informal. ......

ลุยโคลน = wade i didn't know the word WADE but saw it in the dictionary. you can also use this word ลุย when talking about struggling through muds.

example :

ชาวนาเดินลุยโคลน or

A: ทำไมเสื้อเปื้อนล่ะ? ไปทำอะไรมา?

B : เพิ่งไปลุยโคลนมา (แล้วไปทำอะไรในโคลนวะ? ))

"

Edited by herds