IGNORED

City Lodge Soi 19

Wardrobe

City Lodge Soi 19 have some really good looking deals at the moment, almost too good, if staying up until the end of March. If you book direct on their website, same same price Agoda, you also get free internet thrown in.

I stayed a couple of nights a while back and it seemed a pretty decent place in a great location (expecially if you're a Cowboy fan). But I think I recall someone mentioning there was building work in the area, which would maybe explain the price. I haven't been in BKK since May. Has anyone passed by or even stayed there lately, who can offer an appraisal of the impact (noise etc) of any building work? The price is real good, so I'm thinking of using it for a stay in March.

I stay there frequently, most recently two weeks ago. Noise is not a problem at all.

Retired

Thanks for the info, another hotel on my may be list.

:001_Thank_You5:

I stay there frequently, most recently two weeks ago. Noise is not a problem at all.

Thanks Piece Corp, I'm booked up. Very happy with that!

There's construction in the lot behind the hotel, but the rooms face Soi 19 and are well insulated. You can also get free internet if you book on Agoda. The worst thing about this hotel is there's no pool.

Street noise can be a problem at City Lodge on Soi 9. For anyone staying there, make sure to request a room in the back, facing away from Sukhumvit. But the City Lodge Soi 19 rooms are better, and usually priced only a few hundred baht more.

I always book these hotels WITHOUT breakfast, the difference is usually 150 baht, but you're only entitled to a continental breakfast unless you pay an additional 50 baht for bacon and eggs. Instead, I take a walk to Gulliver's Tavern, Soi 8 Pub, or the Old Dutch where you get a better deal for a large breakfast.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Retired

• 3 months later...

Well my booking at this hotel has come around and I'm there now, so I thought I'd post some 'live' observations:

Overall, pretty well impressed. I'm in a deluxe room and I'm kind of glad of that, because it's not overly deluxe and it does make me wonder what the others are like. That said, it's perfectly comfortable up on the 7th floor, bed pillows etc all fine for me, clean, good supply of hot water with good pressure - doean't take forever to run a bath. There's an old 26" CRT TV which they would do well to upgrade, but there is a DVD player and of course the latest snide DVDs are 6 for 500Bt on the street outside, if that's your way of covering downtime. There's a 7 11 right next door and Robinsons department store with a great food court and general supermarket in the basement is over the road behind the Westin. There is a big building site between here and cowboy, but as has already been correctly observed, no noise whatsoever. There is quite a bit of traffic noise from Sukhumvit road, but like any constant noise you soon don't notice it. Staff are very friendly, my maid was totally made up with the modest 40Bt I left under the pillow and can't do enough for me.

The best bit of course is the location. It's 30 seoncds from the BTS, 2 ninutes from Cowboy and one stop from Nana, I've already mentioned the 7 and Robinsons. Mc D is also round the corner in the Robinsons complex with an exchage booth next door. The Italian restaurant on the first floor of the hotel is ok based on my one meal there, popular and not as pricey as I was warned. Boots over the road, and of course there's a hundred other bars, restaurants, massage places, food stalls, t-shirt stalls etc etc within walking distance - that would be true anywhere between soi 4 and Asoke.

By the way I caught the new train in from swampy to Asoke, very civilised, 80Bt for SARL ad BTS - have to buy separate tickets, bring some cions if you can it'll save you time as there are more machines that take coins than notes at Phaya Thai. Sukhumvit Road was tanked when I got off the BTS at about 6.45pm, so it looks like it was a good decision. It took me 45 minutes from my passport stamp to hotel lobby (hand luggage only), via phaya thai, but I did catch the trains perfectly - no waiting.

I'd stay here again, and probably will.

Edited by Wardrobe

Overall, pretty well impressed. I'm in a deluxe room and I'm kind of glad of that, because it's not overly deluxe and it does make me wonder what the others are like.

I always stay at City Lodge when in BKK for business. The difference between standard and deluxe rooms is maybe 10% size and a kettle.

The soi 19 one is great, because you get a nice room with a balcony. I've never done it, but I bet you could get a Sukhumvit freelancer to your room just by calling out from the balcony!

The difference between standard and deluxe rooms is maybe 10% size and a kettle.

Interesting, is that really all there is to it Lazarus? DVD? I meant to have a look, but I've left now. Glad the internet was complimentary with my booking, that would have added a few hundred Bt per day if it wasn't - is it usually?

Post script - checkout at 5am with taxi (meter) arranged also went like clockwork.

Deluxe rooms are L shaped. I wouldn't bother to pay the extra 200 baht since the standard rooms are large enough.

Three times I've booked here when they overbooked, so they put me in the Amari Boulevard on Soi 5 at no additional charge.

They also paid for taxi and waived the 1000 baht joiner, since City Lodge doesn't charge one.

Retired