IGNORED

buying tv in thailand - work in uk?

jaceyjay

i want to buy a tv here in thailand to take back to the uk when i go home - its not a very big tv so there will be no problems with the weight or size limits - the one question i have is will the tv work in england - i know the plugs are different and that i will have to buy an adaptor but is that it ? i dont want to go and buy the tv and get it home only to find it does not work. any help appreciated

TV's in Thailand are PAL the UK TV's are also PAL so it should work.

List of countries encoding systems

Edit. Forgot to add the voltage is compatable as well so I cant see you having any problems.

Al.

Edited by Al.

The TV will work, but the tuner might not. I've known friends bring over video recorders from the UK only to find they can't get any of the TV channels up. I would think also the reverse to be true.

Be scene and not herd.

The TV will work, but the tuner might not. I've known friends bring over video recorders from the UK only to find they can't get any of the TV channels up. I would think also the reverse to be true.

DVD's are not the same as TV's they are region specific (or most are) sometimes it is possible to change the region setting on the DVD player though if it is possible it is usually limited to a set number of times.

If any of your friends still have the video recorders or DVD players tell them to see if they can change the region setting then it should work. UK is region 2 Thailand is region 3.

Wikipedia

Edit. Just found this site that may help them to unlock Make your DVD Player Region Free

Al..

Edited by Al.

I've received a PM from a member who pointed out that Laawman was talking about video recorders not DVD players.<div><br></div><div>My mistake I just assumed when he said video recorder he meant DVD as there are not many video recorders about these days.</div><div><br></div><div>What I assume was meant and something I had not thought about was the tuner in the TV that tunes the TV to the respective stations so it could be that it would not be possible to tune it into all the TV station in the UK. That is something I am not sure about.</div><div><br></div><div>If the TV couldn't get all the station one way around that would be to connect a VCR or DVD recorder to the TV and tune the recorder to the UK stations.</div><div><br></div><div>My apologies to Laawman for not reading his post correctly.</div><div><br></div><div>Al.</div>

Edited by Al.

It might be possible to re-tune the set to receive all the UK channels but it would involve the services of a TV engineer. As they would probably charge you £25 just to look at it, I don't think the idea may be economically viable especially as it would also invalidate any sort of warranty you may have.

I guess one of those SkyBox doo-dahs might work with the AV out plugs though.

Be scene and not herd.