IGNORED

Proper way to eat in Thailand

changoo

Many years ago a Thai friend told me that when eating with Thai people you should always take alittle bit of rice on your plate first and eat it before eating anything else.

Peter said it showed respect to the host since rice is such a valued food item in Thai (I guess in all far eastern countries).

Is this true?

Absolutely, though I've not seen it practiced a lot.

In fact a common morning greeting in Thai translates roughly as "Have you eaten rice today" as this is seen as such an important part of the day.

Could be in the past. But never saw it. Even the older people in Isaan province cities didn't do it. What's true is that they don't fill up their plate in one time but eat their plate empty and fill up several times in little portions!

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

• 2 weeks later...

Only ever seen this once, In Buriram. I knew about the tradition but was suprised to see it in action.

Never heard of such a thing. Maybe it's regional? I do know my Mrs will never order sticky rice in public, since it is impolite to eat with your hands in public. At home it's a completely different matter. (She's northern, not Issan. Sticky rice in the north is cooked in bamboo tubes, not steamed as in Issan.)

• 1 month later...

when i eat with my in-laws i eat the rice first. they are from Laos

The Thousands Inc.

Aghhh Rice... i hate it... but it offends all across Asia when i say "I dont eat rice" ... much healthier foods available to be filling my stomach with... and i dont need diabetes !

Edited by Swingasia

• 4 weeks later...

During our time in China, by Beijing and the Southern provinces, they always served rice. But rice was eaten last as it was considered a lower status dish. To show how well off you were you ate the main dishes first and might consider the rice last. Of course we never got around to eating any rice while at the local venues.

As Thailand shares a border and some culture with China I'm not sure how well this aspect translates for Thailand. I know during the multi-course dinners they never served rice in Thailand while in Bangkok or Pattaya. Maybe they have become too Westernized?

I miss knives at the table. I get tired of cutting my meat with a spoon.

During our time in China, by Beijing and the Southern provinces, they always served rice. But rice was eaten last as it was considered a lower status dish. To show how well off you were you ate the main dishes first and might consider the rice last. Of course we never got around to eating any rice while at the local venues.

As Thailand shares a border and some culture with China I'm not sure how well this aspect translates for Thailand. I know during the multi-course dinners they never served rice in Thailand while in Bangkok or Pattaya. Maybe they have become too Westernized?

and i have some ocean front property in Laos. Get a map dude there is not a border with China.

I get spoon fed by my girlfriend, you don't?

I get spoon fed by my girlfriend, you don't?

I keep her hands busy elsewhere.

I keep her hands busy elsewhere.

reminds me of a place in Manila, in Makati i think it was called the Galleon. Great band with live country music, decent food the girls would cut up your steak and feed you while you feel them up.

had a buddy the spent a lot of time in the Phillipines,. We were in the US for a few weeks and he ordered a big steak at a restaurant, when it came out he said ' I don't know if I can eat this i don't have anyone to cut it for me'. The look on the waitresses face was priceless

reminds me of a place in Manila, in Makati i think it was called the Galleon. Great band with live country music, decent food the girls would cut up your steak and feed you while you feel them up.

had a buddy the spent a lot of time in the Phillipines,. We were in the US for a few weeks and he ordered a big steak at a restaurant, when it came out he said ' I don't know if I can eat this i don't have anyone to cut it for me'. The look on the waitresses face was priceless

Nice!

I can imagine some truth behind this, however In my experience the Thais just like to see you enjoying yourself with their cuisine. Traditions aside, farangs are forgiven for their ignorance. Just eat it all with a big smile and plenty of ''Arroy mak!''

Courage, determination, unselfishness and cheefulness in the face of adversity. Bond us all together, a brotherhood so inexplicable you will never understand, unless you are one of us....

OK, the only relevant post on this thread, congratulations.

Two things spring to mind, DON't put a fork in your mouth, it should only be used for pushing food onto your SPOON.

You should never need a knife, much less put THAT in your mouth.

Leave something on your plate at the end of the meal, I find it easiest to leave some rice behind. Some folks say this is for Buddha but I believe the real reason is because if you clean your plate, as so many of us were cultured to do, you will make your hosts think they have not fed you enough.

Cheers

"Remember, you've never lost the girl, only your turn"

• 2 months later...

Any beef I've had in Thailand has stood up pretty well to a knife. I was thinking of making a vest out of the sh*t for protection at night!

• 4 months later...