IGNORED

Latex vs Polyurethane condom results

Pesareng

First post, think it's in the right section?

So I am heading to Pattaya for the second time in 3 months. I was interested in Sagami original polyurethane condoms until I found this research. I want the thinnest available condom there are whilst still protecting from STD's and pregnancy. You can see the results yourself but I am just concerned as the test showed that polyurethane condoms did not protect as well as latex in regards to pregnancy, so that would lead one to believe that polyurethane condoms would be less effective in prevention of STD's aswell. Anyone want to shed some light I would appreciate it.

Contraceptive effectiveness of a polyurethane condom and a latex condom: a randomized controlled trial.

Steiner MJ, Dominik R, Rountree RW, Nanda K, Dorflinger LJ.

Family Health International, PO Box 13950, Research Triangle Park, NC 27707, USA. [email protected]

Erratum in:

• Obstet Gynecol. 2003 May;101(5 Pt 1):1026.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: To compare the contraceptive effectivenesses of a polyurethane condom and a standard latex condom. Secondary outcomes of interest were safety, functionality, discontinuation, and acceptability.

METHODS: We randomized 901 couples to use either the polyurethane condom or a standard latex condom as their only form of contraception. We tested for pregnancy at enrollment and at every scheduled follow-up visit (weeks 4, 10, 16, 22, and 30).

RESULTS: The 6-month typical-use pregnancy probabilities were 9.0% (95% confidence interval [CI] 5.9, 12.2) for the polyurethane group and 5.4% (95% CI 2.9, 7.8) for the latex group; the hazard ratio was 1.7 (95% CI 1.1, 2.7), and we failed to reject the null hypothesis of our test of noninferiority. Females in the polyurethane group reported fewer genital irritations (hazard ratio 0.6; 95% CI 0.5, 0.8; P <.01), whereas males in both groups reported the same number of genital irritations (hazard ratio 1.0; 95% CI 0.7, 1.5; P =.94). Total clinical failures (breakage and slippage) were 8.4% for the polyurethane condom and 3.2% for the latex condom (difference 5.3%, 90% CI 2.8, 7.7). The risk of discontinuation did not differ between groups. Participants judged both condoms favorably in terms of the four primary acceptability outcomes (willingness to purchase, willingness to recommend, confidence in method, and general comfort).

CONCLUSION: The polyurethane condom was not shown to be as effective as the latex comparator condom for pregnancy prevention. However, the risk of pregnancy in the polyurethane group falls in the range of other barrier methods. For people with latex sensitivity or who find latex condoms unacceptable, this polyurethane condom represents one of several synthetic male condom alternatives currently available on the US market.

PMID: 12636960 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

8.4% of broken/slipped polyurethane condoms??

What the hell are these guys doing?? I've used around 200 polyurethane condoms in my life without a single issue.

Even for the latex, 3.2% is very high, I've had 2 broken latex condoms (from hundreds of times)

Living the dream!

8.4% of broken/slipped polyurethane condoms??

What the hell are these guys doing?? I've used around 200 polyurethane condoms in my life without a single issue.

Even for the latex, 3.2% is very high, I've had 2 broken latex condoms (from hundreds of times)

So you're saying polyurethane is way to go? I know it is approved by the FDA but money makes the world go around. I want to buy these Sagami's but don't want to jeopardise my health for a thinner condom.

So you're saying polyurethane is way to go? I know it is approved by the FDA but money makes the world go around. I want to buy these Sagami's but don't want to jeopardise my health for a thinner condom.

Since my failure rate with polyurethane is still 0% (from around 200 times), I will keep it this way. The sensation is just a bit better but they have no smell/taste and don't leave that hard-to-remove "rubber oil" afterwards.

Living the dream!

• 3 weeks later...

The first and only time I used a polyurethane condom it broke. I think they are mostly for people who are allergic to latex. Better that nothing I suppose.

Edited by JonnyLongStroke