IGNORED

Bangkok at Xmas?

monkeygib

Hi all,

I normally go straight from BKK to Pattaya but this time will be staying in Bangkok for 3 nights...

I am looking to do the best of the best in this short time and would love some advice...

I am travelling with my wife (falang) as usual, and we will be staying in Shangri-La...

We have previously visited Grand Palace and done river tours etc.

Nana Plaza is definately on my to do list one evening...

I will be dining at Rang Mahal at the Rembrandt hotel also on one of the evenings...

I would love advice on the following

Live Music bars/clubs

Jazz clubs which are awesome

Best shopping district (but not in places like MBK) prefer street shopping

ANY IDEA BOYS AND GIRLS???????

thanks in advance as always...

xxx

you don't stop partying because you grow old,

you grow old because you stop partying

I am sure all women like shopping. So a day for paragon and other shopping centre or Jatjujak market (depending upon what day you land). There are always temples etc that may take at least a day. So, that's 2 out of 3 days gone. 3rd can be for relaxation.

Whenever I am in Bangkok I frequent The Bamboo Bar, which is a jazz club that has a great atmosphere and some superb bands. It is located at the Oriental hotel near BTS Saphan Taksin, music nightly from around 10 or 10:30. If you are interested in some live blues Brown Sugar and Mojo's are always jumping. Brown Sugar is located near Lumpini Park and Mojo's is on Sukhumvit Soi 32.

For shopping, I would not discount MBK, as prices there are in many instances competitive with the street shopping areas, in some instances better and you can haggle at many of the stores like you can at street vendors. The top floor is full of cheap electronics, which could be useful if you get bored of shopping for clothes with the wife.

For street shopping Chatuchak Market is the best. The majority of the stores are only open on weekends though.

Edited by jorde_777

I am sure all women like shopping. So a day for paragon and other shopping centre or Jatjujak market (depending upon what day you land). There are always temples etc that may take at least a day. So, that's 2 out of 3 days gone. 3rd can be for relaxation.

thanks mate,

looking forward to a day by the pool for sure

cheers

Whenever I am in Bangkok I frequent The Bamboo Bar, which is a jazz club that has a great atmosphere and some superb bands. It is located at the Oriental Hotel near BTS Saphan Taksin, music nightly from around 10 or 10:30. If you are interested in some live blues Brown Sugar and Mojo's are always jumping. Brown Sugar is located near Lumpini Park and Mojo's is on Sukhumvit Soi 32.

For shopping, I would not discount MBK, as prices there are in many instances competitive with the street shopping areas, in some instances better and you can haggle at many of the stores like you can at street vendors. The top floor is full of cheap electronics, which could be useful if you get bored of shopping for clothes with the wife.

For street shopping Chatuchak Market is the best. The majority of the stores are only open on weekends though.

Jorde...

great tips mate - i really look forward to checking out some of the places you suggest...

Brown Sugar and Mojos will get a visit for sure !!!!!!!!!!!

as far as shopping goes i have been to MBK lots of times but this time i would prefer street shopping - not necessarily for the items to buy, but more for the walk around etc.

cheers once again!!!

Mojo's is on Sukhumvit Soi 32

Incorrect: Mojos is in a side soi off Sukhumvit Soi 33 (right hand side as you enter from Sukhumvit - follow the signs to The Office Bar and you'll find Mojos directly opposite.

If jazz-listening is your thing, try Saxophone: http://saxophonepub.com/2010/awards.html

For various types of live music every night "Bangkok Beat " on Sukhumvit 7/1 is always a great night and also have to agree about Mojos (soi 33) it's always fun

Saxophone Pub is located near Victory Monument, Brown Sugar is on Sarrisan Road (along a boundary of Lumpini Park),

and Mojos is on Suk Soi 33. Of the three, I think Mojo's has the best food, but Brown Sugar has the best music, and also serves the strongest drinks. Try the Long Island Iced Tea, I had two in the upstairs bar and could barely walk down the stairs. Their Zombies are very good too.

Retired