IGNORED

6 month Passport requirement

thewaytolos

Hello all,

Have a few questions on the 6 month valid passport requirement for entering Thailand.

My current tourist passport will expire in mid March 2011. I have scheduled a trip to go to Thailand on the 30 Sept.

Arriving on the 1st Oct. Only staying for 16 days, If I did the math right that puts my passport expiring in 162 days. 18 days short of the 180.

Problem is I live in Germany (Contractor) and I can't renew my current passport with any amount of speed prior to the trip.

I have an a "Status of Forces Agreement" card that is tied to my tourist passport, which pretty much allows me access to the EU

unrestricted regardless of how much time on my passport.

I tried to contact various agencies for my problem.

I am fairly confident I would be able to board the plane to Thailand as my current job requires me to travel a lot, and I just got back from a trip with no

issues at customs here in the EU, they pretty much look at my tourist passport see my "SOFA" card and let me through, I have been in and out of the EU about

9 times in the last 6 weeks and never had my tourist passport stamped out or in for that matter. So long story short.

I don't want to eat the cost of the ticket's ($1200)

Any suggestions on what actions I could take?

Flying out from Germany to Amsterdam then to Thailand or at least that's the plan.

Also wondering how much of a hassle I would receive at Customs in Thailand? Was also wondering if the US Embassy in Bangkok will renew passports there, and was if they do, when I get there I could go get that done, because of the time constraints.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I do believe that you will be flagged when they scan the passport or if you check in online since your final destination country requires the 6 month valid passport. Most countries without visa requirements usually want the 6 month thing and I have know others that have been flagged going to Latin America.

I would contact the embassy in Germany and be like you need a passport ASAP. If you are holding a ticket they will do a rush job. They do that here in the US and you just pay more for it. I believe the embassy is capable of the same. Your best bet is to call them and see what they can do. Since its a renewal you don't have to jump through as many hoops to get it quickly.

Hope that helps.

'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

When I'm single I like playing the field. You call it picking up hookers. - Jim Norton

Since your in Germany, it might be a problem getting a new passport with such little time to work with. However, you can go one of two ways. You can use your APO on base and pray you get it on time or, get yourself to the embassy as soon as possible. You might and, I mean "might" be able to get a new one in time for your trip. It's going to cost you a little more (around $150 - $300) to have your new passport rushed to you. You'll have to remember to bring your old passport and at least three new passport photo's and, you'll have to fill out a small bit of paperwork. This doesn't take long and, you should be outta there in 30 minutes or less, depended on how long the line is. Act now or you may have to eat your ticket.

Edited by pyrolover

Here you go: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/passports.html - you can download an application form and, apparently, make an appointment in advance.

Not sure about specific acceptance of US SOFA cards; Thailand doesn't have the SOFAs you might expect, certainly not for all (old) NATO states.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I just found out there is a Thai consulate here were I live. Turns out its just down the street. I have an apt set up on Tuesday to go talk to the US Consulate in Frankfurt. But from what I read on the site, looks like they won't be able to expedite it.

So plan A is to go to the Thai consulate on Monday and plead my case to them, hopefully they are cool and allow me to travel, I got full ITN and travel plans as well as cost, company I work for, and hopefully they will see that I intend on coming back on the departure date, I found out when I get to Bangkok, I can get the US passport things squared up.

I am suppose to be vacationing with the TGF there. Hopefully I can get a letter or a Visa issued from them (Thai Consulate) and show the airline they are cool with letting me in the country. Worth a shot, might be long...if that fails then it going to try and get the passport before I leave.

I will keep you all updated on the progress or lack of...thanks again.