IGNORED

Convert ogm files to avi

tlcwaterfall

Need some help please. Have downloaded some shows in ogm format and my media player will not play them. Media player is a stand alone unit.

So I am looking for a program(prefer free) to convert them to avi if anyone can help.

Thanks

tlc

Have a look at www.download.com if you need a converter for a stand alone machine. If the best ones are not free and only trial you and probably find a torrent on btjunkie for the full version.

Download vlc media player, it'll play practically anything and it's free

This is the better option. VLC is the utility knife of media and the newer version uses hardware acceleration and its a far better viewer then Media Player. I use it extensively on my Mac to open everything since Apple likes to lock you into Quicktime.

'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

When I'm single I like playing the field. You call it picking up hookers. - Jim Norton

Thank you to all who have replied. You have given me some great ideas. Have downloaded Xilisoft and am converting files now but it is painfully slow.

Once again . :001_Thank_You5:

VLC is the utility knife of media

Actually I'd vote for ffmpeg as the uber utility swiss army knife of media, if you are on windows check out WinFF. But no knock on VLC, its a great player. But FF does all the converting you'd ever want, it's not a player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFmpeg

-- just noticed that VLC uses FF <Johnny Carson voice> I did not know that

"I'd pork her. Or, if her religion forbade pork, I'd beef her. If it turned out she was a vegetarian, I'd give her an extra firm slab of tofu."

Actually I'd vote for ffmpeg as the uber utility swiss army knife of media, if you are on windows check out WinFF. But no knock on VLC, its a great player. But FF does all the converting you'd ever want, it's not a player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFmpeg

-- just noticed that VLC uses FF <Johnny Carson voice> I did not know that

VLC does a lot, but I don't bother with converting if I have a player that can open it. The only time I use a converter is for taking ripped movie files and converting them to iPad friendly formats. Handbrake now does it native with a pre-selection option.

'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

When I'm single I like playing the field. You call it picking up hookers. - Jim Norton