IGNORED

Smokers Forbidden To Light Up

Mackem Stu

From now on, smokers will find it harder than ever to find a place to light up because every public area will be a smoke-free zone following the latest ministerial order from the Public Health Minister.

According to the order, which takes effect today, offenders will face a Bt2,000 fine, while owners who allow smoking on their premises or fail to place a no-smoking notice will be charged up to Bt20,000.

The ban forbids smoking on public transport, at bus stops, in elevators, public phone booths, libraries, theatres, children's playgrounds, drugstores, meeting rooms, massage parlours and spas.

Smoking in indoor stadiums is also banned - excluding snooker rooms. The ban on smoking also includes schools and educational institutes.

Air-conditioned areas in art exhibition halls, galleries, museums, shopping malls, barbershops, Internet cafes and karaoke booths are also no-smoking zones.

The ban includes the lobbies of hotels, resorts, condominiums, apartments and restaurants, excluding entertainment areas.

Smokers are still allowed to smoke in their personal offices, individual rooms or rooms provided as smoking areas.

Public Health Minister Mongkol na Songkhla yesterday held a press conference to launch the 17th ministerial order and place no-smoking labels at Hua Lampong Railway Station.

He said 52,000 Thais died a year from smoking-related diseases, especially lung cancer and heart disease. It cost the country more than Bt50 billion in healthcare services for patients with lung cancer, heart disease and emphysema.

A no-smoking law has already been enforced in covered areas of restaurants and public places that were air-conditioned.

"This ministerial order has added more no-smoking places. The ban is to protect the health of non-smoking people from 4,000 kinds of toxin in tobacco smoke," the minister said.

Mongkol encouraged anyone witnessing an offence to call 02-590-3342.

Mongkol has also tried every means to reduce alcohol consumption. Even though the Council of State's ruling invalidated his ministry's Food and Drug Administration-initiated move to comprehensively ban alcohol advertising, the ministry is exploring other legal channels.

Source: The Nation - 29 December 2006

Double Gold Medalist. 2006 Mongering Olympics

As I have now been 4 days without a cigarette this does not affect me the same way it would have a month ago. It will be interesting to see how effective the implementation of the new policy is in some places.

If you can find me one place in this world that has truly 100% polution free breathing air I will be surprised.

If you can find me one place in this world that has truly 100% polution free breathing air I will be surprised.

Deffinatley a smokers comment, its funny how all smokers try to justify themselves :Fart5:

I'm five days free. I'm also coughing and hacking and spitting worse than I ever did when I was smoking. I figure it's my body wanting me to get back in the habit, so far I'm resisting. :001_XMas_Cheers:

I'm five days free. I'm also coughing and hacking and spitting worse than I ever did when I was smoking. I figure it's my body wanting me to get back in the habit, so far I'm resisting. :001_XMas_Cheers:

Well done! I'm sure its not easy! :D

Between the money I've saved on cigarettes in the last five days and the overtime today I have managed to save myself the equivalent of 4 LTs including barfine. I could have had 2 more hours of OT but I drove too fast.

As usual here the law has been made very subjective to allow for as loose an interpretation as required. Entertainment Areas are exempt as are outside areas so it seems you can smoke in the street which is actually about as public as it gets.

It has long been an offence to drop a fag end in the street but I have never seen it implemented.

Of a bigger concern to me is the proposal to make security cameras compulsory in all bars etc in Pattaya, even small beer bars. The cost of installation and maintenance would have an inevitable knock-on effect with some systems allegedly going to cost up to 1m baht to buy and install although it was stated at around

40-50k for smaller venues. Anyone NOT installing them will not have their licences renewed.

Maybe I should get in the security camera rental business now.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

It's nice to see that the Thais are becoming more civilised and adopting a bit of good old Western fascism. :Hitler: :Grin6:

MONKEYWATCH - The Truth Is In There

Even if they are taking it further than we do in the west or the former USSR for that matter. :001_Santa_Grinch:

• 8 months later...
Deffinatley a smokers comment, its funny how all smokers try to justify themselves :Fart5:

I really don't see it as a justification, but a statement of fact

It isn't about the smoke with you people, it's all about an agenda :rolleyes:

Aka Laafa

The present is all you own. The past a golden link. Go cruising now my brother, it's later than you think

Well done! I'm sure its not easy! :rolleyes:

Yeah, like you really care, you'll criticize him for smoking and when he wants to quit, you'll pat him on the back

I support him on either choice he makes :unsure:

Edited by longagoandfaraway

Aka Laafa

The present is all you own. The past a golden link. Go cruising now my brother, it's later than you think

It isn't about the smoke with you people, it's all about an agenda :D

Is caring about the health of ourselves and other people an agenda? I guess so and that would make you right.

In the U.S. there is a new drug which is supposed to block the nicotine receptors and

eventually take away the effects of nicotine on the body.

It is called Chantix and is only available by prescription. I have several bottles of the

drug, but I'm not quite ready to quit yet. If it works out, I'll keep you posted.

TRUST NO BITCH

In the U.S. there is a new drug which is supposed to block the nicotine receptors and

eventually take away the effects of nicotine on the body.

It is called Chantix and is only available by prescription. I have several bottles of the

drug, but I'm not quite ready to quit yet. If it works out, I'll keep you posted.

I'm on a drug called CHAMPIX. Is that the same stuff, or just the UK marketing name? 11 weeks off the weed :P

<center><embed src="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-countdown/show.swf?clickURL=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/&clickLABEL=MySpace Countdowns&flashLABEL=Countdown Clock Codes&skin=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-countdown/skins/a40.swf&text=I%20Come%20back%20to%20Paradise%20City&untilColor=6724095&textColor=0&datesColor=0&year=2008&month=10&day=5&hour=14&minute=30&second=31&x=11&y=135" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="300" height="200" name="countdown" align="middle" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

<small>MySpace Countdowns</small></center>

Why dont thet just outlaw the production,sales and profits of cigarettes??

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf