IGNORED

Need a new camera

kopite

Ok so my criteria are

1) Must be pocketable

2) Quality as close as possible to SLR

3) Great low light performance both with and without flash

I saw another thread on the S90 and to be honest that was what I was initially looking at. (as well as the Panasonic LX3) I ruled out the LX3 as it seemed a bit too bulky for what I was after.

I really like what ive seen so far from the S90 however im not in the slightest interested in shooting in RAW or the amount of manual control. Ok maybe some basic control for iso but most point and shoot's have that anyway.

So shouid I be looking more towards the ixus 300? It has the same Digic 4 processor as well as 28mm lens.

One thing I am not sure about though is the focal length. The Ixus 300 is 4.9 – 18.6 mm but the S90 is 6 mm - 22.5 mm. Can someone clarify what exactly this means in terms of image results/quality?

Regarding my need for low light I have seen some mentions of the ixus 300 performance but how do you think it and the S90 performs in low light without any flash? It's a silly question to ask but say im taking a stroll down walking street at midnight. Id like to take of some snaps without any flash so as to not attract unwanted attention.

I guess what it comes down to is the ixus 300 basically the s90 without a few manual controls and RAW capability? Meaning image wise everything else should be the same? If so perhaps the 300 is the better choice for me but I thought id ask here in case anyone here has the ixus 300.

Thanks for reading

Well there are alot of micro 4/3 cameras out there Fuji just came out with the x100 that is a great cameres you can also change lens with that camera as well. but if you are looking for a point and shoot style with dslr features. I would say the Nikon P7000 and the Canon G12. They are both great cameras and they have a alot of features like a dslr has, Shoot RAW, Manual controls, and so on.

I also like to buy the Canon Powershot S95, but i wait till mid of september, because there will be a successor in the next month. Till now, there are only rumors about the successor like 1080p recording, greater optical zoom and a 12 megapixel sensor. I will wait for first reviews of the successor till i decide what to buy.

I am a moneyreformer. More and more people realize that our moneysystem is broken. It has a bug and need an update. Problem is, that most humans don't know a shit about how money works and so most people are not able to see the bug. They blame the greedy, the lazy, the old, the unenployed or the state. So we are doomed to see a moneycrash with many human tragedies.

PS: gold backed currency is NOT the solution.

I also like to buy the Canon Powershot S95, but i wait till mid of september, because there will be a successor in the next month. Till now, there are only rumors about the successor like 1080p recording, greater optical zoom and a 12 megapixel sensor. I will wait for first reviews of the successor till i decide what to buy.

yeah, i reckon !.

it's a nose in front !.

yeah, i reckon !.

it's a nose in front !.

Mid September ... what happens if something newER comes out for Xmas ... ?

ohoh.oh no .. sounds ike one of those technology pier pressure spirals ... LOL ...

คนโà¸à¸«à¸à¹€à¸¡à¸·à¹ˆà¸­à¸žà¸§à¸à¹€à¸‚าไม่สามารถจัดà¸à¸²à¸£à¸à¸±à¸šà¸„วามจริง

เวลาที่เราอยู่คนเดียว à¹à¸¥à¹‰à¸§à¸™à¸±à¹ˆà¸‡à¸¡à¸­à¸‡à¹à¸‚นมองดูมือ ดูหน้าตามองตัวเอง ในà¸à¸£à¸°à¸ˆà¸ จะทำให้เà¸à¸´à¸”คำถามมาà¸à¸¡à¸²à¸¢ ที่มาพร้อมคำตอบมาà¸à¸¡à¸²à¸¢à¸žà¸­à¸à¸±à¸™ จะทำให้เราเข้าใจตัวเองà¹à¸¥à¸°à¸Šà¸µà¸§à¸´à¸•à¸¡à¸²à¸à¸‚ึ้นไปอีภอย่ามัวใช้ชีวิตเพื่อทำอะไรมาà¸à¸¡à¸²à¸¢à¹€à¸žà¸·à¹ˆà¸­à¸™à¸„นอื่นอย่างเดียว ทำเพื่อนตัวเองบ้าง ชีวิตเรามันไม่ได้ยาวนานอย่างที่คิดหรอภทำวันนี้เพื่อพรุ่งนี้à¸à¹‡à¸žà¸­à¹à¸¥à¹‰à¸§...

Mid September ... what happens if something newER comes out for Xmas ... ?

ohoh.oh no .. sounds ike one of those technology pier pressure spirals ... LOL ...

I want to buy the camera for my trip in november. I don't need it before. I would be stupid not to wait a month to see if the successor of the great S95 is worth the wait. If you need a new camera now, buy it now. But if you have no real pressure, it is nice to now that it is only a month till the successor comes out.

I realy like the S95 for photos but the videopart sucks. If the successor is better on the videopart than it would be a near perfect compact camera.

I am a moneyreformer. More and more people realize that our moneysystem is broken. It has a bug and need an update. Problem is, that most humans don't know a shit about how money works and so most people are not able to see the bug. They blame the greedy, the lazy, the old, the unenployed or the state. So we are doomed to see a moneycrash with many human tragedies.

I realy like the S95 for photos but the videopart sucks. If the successor is better on the videopart than it would be a near perfect compact camera.

I'm puzzled what sucks about the S95 video?

It's not HD (MP4) but I've found it excellent and far superior to my Sony HD in lowish light.

In the end guys I went for a panasonic gf2. Got a really good deal on the 14mm lens kit. Only thing is the video is 1080i and I cant just drag and drop it off ala a normal device. Bit of a pain if you ask me. Pic quality is great though. In debating whether to get a zoom lens kit.

I'm puzzled what sucks about the S95 video?

It's not HD (MP4) but I've found it excellent and far superior to my Sony HD in lowish light.

Hi Edge,

i have no S95 but i read in a few article that the video function is pretty basic and have a few problems like tracking of sharpness. But if you have one and you are satisfied, who am i to judge? I will wait till i read the first tests of the successor and if i dont care about the improvements, i will also buy the S95.

Cheers mate.

GoforIT

Edited by GoforIT

While not 1080p capable, the S95 handles 720p video very well, IMHO. Two possible

issues might be the the lack of auto focus (focus is set at the start of the video)

or optical zoom during video shooting (a 4x digital zoom is available), but they

haven't really affected me very much during my use of the video capabilities

of the camera. The CHDK guys may have hacked those back in by now, I haven't checked

recently.

Edited by DMustang