IGNORED

Briton, 26, paralysed and 95% blinded in Thai road accident needs £35,000 to fly back to UK

LaaMok

no travel insurance.. :Circle_Sharks:

its a must..its not even that expensive :Number1a:

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

The thing is even if he had travel insurance unless he had a UK licence, corresponding international licence (I think that's what it's called), and a helmet with sufficient protection they wouldn't have paid out. I'm not 100% on this but I think they only cover you for < 125cc, although I could be wrong if you hold a UK licence for > 125cc. If alcohol was involved then insurance is probably void as well. These guys aren't in business to pay out after all.

I also don't know how travel insurance applies to motorbike taxis both with or without helmets.

I'm just as guilty as anyone else, last trip I was bombing round Pattaya with a badly fitting helmet and no licence at all. I've got 10000s of miles under my belt riding road bikes and likely have more road awareness on two wheels than most. The thing is all it takes is one lapse of concentration... and stories like this make me think twice about hopping on, or on the back of, any motorbike in Thailand.

That sucks big time, Travel insurance a must for sure even if they are funny about paying for some things i know plenty of people they have had payouts including me. I had a severe eye infection in cambodia flew to bangkok was treated for 3 days as an inpatient the bill was nearly £2000 and the insurance paid before i even got discharged from the hospital.

Now £2000 can buy alot of travel insurance so i would say have had my moneys worth. I now get free travel insurance through my bank account.

I hope the guys family can raise the money soon, i,m going to do my good deed of the day and send them the equivilent of a ST in patts.

come boys dont be tight.

It seems like travel insurance is just a gimmick. It is full of restrictions, limitations, and exclusions. I would not trust it and never get it. It seems very expensive for what it is.

Instead, I have Medjet Assist:

"if you are ever hospitalized 150 miles or more away from home, MedjetAssist will arrange for medical transfer to the hospital of your choice — at no additional charge. No transportation cost limitations. No pre-existing condition exclusions. MedjetAssist members are transported without regard to medical necessity. This means members, as long as they are hospitalized as an inpatient, can choose to be transported to another hospital, even if the facility they are in is considered adequate. The choice is theirs.

Will the assistance provider transport its members regardless of medical necessity? - YES

Will the assistance provider allow the member to determine which medical facility to be moved to? YES

Will the assistance provider guarantee medical transports within the U.S. as well as internationally? YES"

I have read reports of several people who had to use this service, and it was completely trouble and hassle free. I think this is money much better spent than travel insurance.

what is this med jet is it a uk organisation travel insurance in nz for travel to thailand is expensive approx 3k bt for 2 weeks

His mother has flown to Thailand to see him in the hospital, and it looks like he is in stable condition.

Is it not possible to just buy him a commercial plane ticket and for her to bard with him on a wheelchair? There must be some ways disabled people fly without having to charger a 35000 pound flight?

Edited by dc_publius

It seems like travel insurance is just a gimmick. It is full of restrictions, limitations, and exclusions. I would not trust it and never get it. It seems very expensive for what it is.

Instead, I have Medjet Assist:

I have read reports of several people who had to use this service, and it was completely trouble and hassle free. I think this is money much better spent than travel insurance.

Correct me if I am wrong but that only looks like insurance should you need or want transport to a different hospital. It doesn't look like it covers hospital costs. What happen if you end up in ICU for a couple of weeks? You may not be in a safe condition to be transferred elsewhere.

I have looked at my Australian policies that I have had. They state that as long as you have a licence in Australia for the bike you are riding you are covered. If you are a passenger and the rider has a licence you are also covered. I don't know how many of the motorbike taxi drivers don't have licences.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

That is correct, they only pay for transport.

As far as immediate medical emergency costs, most USA health insurance policies will cover these expenses. Since there is no automatic processing, you would have to pay the hospital and subsequently submit your claim to your USA insurance company. This could be a hassle, but all hospitals in LOS accept credit cards I would think so you can put the costs your credit card/s while you wait to be reimbursed by insurance.

medjetassist.com is their web site.

As a rider, I can tell you that it is best/safer to not let anyone know how you sustained injuries. As you said, they may have licensing exclusions and other restrictions that you may get caught up in and if you are facing huge bills they may find it worth while to investigate.

The thing is even if he had travel insurance ....................................

I think jojo90 is probably right. Some say their TI covers all this but I wouldn't be very confident if there were reasons how the Insurance Company could get out of it.

Travel insurance for a holiday is cheap and appears easy peasy - you don't find out until you claim of course.

Travel/Accident/Health insurance for a long stay or for older retired guys can be expensive and difficult to get.

There are many here who could wind up in the same situation.

His mother has flown to Thailand to see him in the hospital, and it looks like he is in stable condition.

Is it not possible to just buy him a commercial plane ticket and for her to bard with him on a wheelchair? There must be some ways disabled people fly without having to charger a 35000 pound flight?

I'm not sure that he's stable enough to pop him in a wheelchair and then heave him into a regular aircraft seat.

How many airlines would let him through check in and take him on anyway.

32k GBP does sound high, but perhaps (I don't know) that includes the amount currently (and rising) owed to the Hospital and other services. They won't want to let him go anywhere unless that's paid?

I have got travel insurance from www.insuremytrip.com and the rates are really reasonable considering what you get.

I paid well under $100 for 40 days insurance, including transport out of country.

I have got travel insurance from www.insuremytrip.com and the rates are really reasonable considering what you get.

I paid well under $100 for 40 days insurance, including transport out of country.

That's just one of the problems. Quite a few insurers only provide holiday insurance and there's a time limit.

I had year round all singing all dancing insurance when I left UK, but the small print said the maximum I could be out of the country for at one stretch was 90 days.

I think this guy had been here fore 6 months so your TI would have long since lapsed.

I would guess he might have been able to get some Backpacker type insurance, but even then, see above.

The bottom line is he didn't have any.

I've never had travel insurance as I assumed my job health insurance would cover it.

I'll have to check and see what their policies are in this regards. But if I were to get into some accident or whatnot, my credit cards are maxed so I would be screwed if I have to pay upfront and get reimbursed later.

For my short vacation trips, I think I'll fork over the 100 dollars or so for peace of mind with a reputable travel insurance agency.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

That's just one of the problems. Quite a few insurers only provide holiday insurance and there's a time limit.

I had year round all singing all dancing insurance when I left UK, but the small print said the maximum I could be out of the country for at one stretch was 90 days.

I think this guy had been here fore 6 months so your TI would have long since lapsed.

I would guess he might have been able to get some Backpacker type insurance, but even then, see above.

The bottom line is he didn't have any.

Maybe it is different with UK insurance but it sounds like you had a one year multiple trip policy. They have a 60 or 90 day limit per trip. You can get a one year policy that covers you for the full 365 days.

I read that the guy did have insurance but he extended his trip and the policy expired. There is a lesson there somewhere.

For Australians you might like to try 1 Cover. For a 29-34 day medical only policy it is $81.20.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I have the gold card bank insurance.

works for bikes under 125cc, and the rental has to be paid with the card, as the plane ticket.

the annual price of this card is equal as a one trip insurance in private company. So if you travel more than once a year, makes it worth the price.

Edited by jojomecanic

KasikornBank has in his K-Max debit card automatic insurance card costs 500 bath annual and covers tourists , see attachment for pay outs

kasikorn debit card.pdf

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

Having a valid insurance is gold at times. Last trip I had to use mine, Appendix packed up wanted to leave ;) With some assistance it was removed.

But to the point, I knew I had a valid insurance. And I had all the phone numbers and insurance details with me. Having that really speeds things up a lot. Within 15 mins from me getting to the hospital they seemed to know my insurance was valid and covered the expenses.

It's not uncommon for TI to be included in other types of insurance. So before you get something extra call your insurance company and ask them, or read on the net. In my case my I've got an insurance to cover my home that includes TI. But it is limit to 45 days.

So if you are staying in Thailand for a long time or decides to extend your vacation, you will probably need additional cover.

As for Medjet, I would not go for that. It's great if you CAN be moved, but as said, if you are unlucky there is not time to do that and you will need urgent surgery. In combination with a traditional TI however it could prove good to have.

But in the end stay safe and make sure you are covered. I'm going next week and I've called my insurance company to make ensure I'm covered and got the proper details with me if I need help.

well, your fucked if something happens to you and you do not have propper insurance.

I think insurance is the most important thing to set before you start your trip or stay in another country.

Contact the insurance company about what they refund an how much before you go...

I've never had travel insurance as I assumed my job health insurance would cover it.

I suggest you check it, as typically it does not (at least in US). If you travel a lot for work, however, you may already have travel coverage through your employer.

I suggest you check it, as typically it does not (at least in US). If you travel a lot for work, however, you may already have travel coverage through your employer.

Just checked my US health insurance (an HMO, at that), and it covers emergency service and urgent care worldwide (on a reimbursement basis).

Incidentally, I had some extensive dental work done in BKK when I broke a tooth below the gumline and had to incur charges for gum surgery, and some complex restoration. Had the dentist write a note describing issue, and that it was emergency, not just preventative maintenance, submitted copies of my bills to my dental insurance and they reimbursed me. My guess is that it was much cheaped than it would have been had it happened in the US. I confirmed the US prices with my local dentist.

Shame about the lad but own fault.Not heard nothing since about him,usually the family start to plead poverty and blame the government for not helping out.

>> He died at the scene. It took paramedics seven minutes to bring him back to life but his brain was without oxygen for a long time. <<

No discredit to the EMTs but my preference in case of this kind might not be being revived.

Just checked my US health insurance (an HMO, at that), and it covers emergency service and urgent care worldwide (on a reimbursement basis).

You are lucky. Mine does not (and it is a very good PPO costing my employer roughly $1500/mo)