Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Best time to buy your airline tickets?

Buddy Edgewood

Once again, I learned something new today... I'll guess I'll find out how accurate this is in October when I book my flights for mid-December!

http://consumerist.com/2010/08/fancy-math-says-book-8-weeks-in-advance-for-cheapest-flights.html

Fancy Math Says Book 8 Weeks In Advance For Cheapest Flights

The cheapest time to get your airline tickets is 8 weeks in advance, says an economist who came up with a fancy formula, ∏A = gUG + min(k-g, (1-g)(1-r)), to figure it out. Here's a sample:

Prices for EasyJet flight booked in advance as of 21 August

London Stansted (STN) to Munich (MUC)

1 day = £82.99

1 week = £98.99

2 weeks = £62.99

8 weeks = £19.99

12 weeks = £25.99

Basically it comes down to paying for risk. When you buy tickets, you are taking the risk that you might later have to change your travel plans. The longer out you buy, the more likely it is something might crop up. Airlines offer advance purchase discounts in order to induce consumers to take that risk. Why the price dips at 8 weeks exactly, and then starts rising again, I guess you'll have to read the latest edition of the Economic Journal to find out.

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

Thanks for the info. I've often wondered about the time frame for best purchase.

I'm not sure about the validity of the calculations, but it sounds like a good rule of thumb to work with. :)

"When the going gets weird... the weird turn pro" - Hunter S. Thompson

thanks for the info.

Farang = Walking ATM. TG's push the right buttons and money comes out. PIN = BBBJ

I have always heard 60 days out was the best time, but 8 weeks is close enough not matter much.

I wonder if it works out somewhat differently for long-haul flights. Those tend to be planned a bit more in advance, and thus perhaps skews the results toward a longer time-frame. I usually try to book about 12 weeks in advance and, as far as I can tell, this seems to have been advantageous.

Bakwan (about 8,000 miles from Pattaya)

I wonder if it works out somewhat differently for long-haul flights. Those tend to be planned a bit more in advance, and thus perhaps skews the results toward a longer time-frame.

Based on what I've heard, international flights are generally cheaper, the earlier you book. I think this "8 weeks" rule of thumb is more about domestic travel.

Well,,I went online to look at prices for my ticket yesterday. 655 dollars from Dubai to Bangkok...seems reasonable...unless Im super new to this and you guys know somthing I dont.... (?)

Ginger

I book my Xmas/NY travel about 4/5 months. Prices normally get stupid after this, probably because it's peak season?

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

I have always found EVA do the best deals about 12 - 14 weeks before you fly.

KETAMINE JUST SAY NEIGH

Id rather book as early as possible. Makes the trip that 1 step closer, and gives you something to get excited about haha

I booked my November flight in mid-June - I should have booked a week or so earlier as the price started creeping up again. I'd say their calculations are a bit wide of the mark.

There is no rhyme or reason to airline pricing. Prices are set based on a very complex system called a RMS or Revenue Management System and distance is only a factor in the fare. I have paid $2,000 for a flight from Phoenix, AZ to Atlanta, GA. Though some airlines do have standard pricing not all of them take the same approach and they especially don't do this on all flight destinations. The best thing to do is sign up for an airline to send you notices whenever they are offering a special on a destination you wish to go too, and if you’re lucky that destination will come up at a timeframe you are wishing to fly.

Other than that, know approx how much airlines usually charge for a certain flight you are interested in and search it daily. You will see the fair fluctuate. The best fares I ever got were last minute on holidays where the flights were going to be completely empty so the airline drops the fares to next to nothing just go get butts in seats.

In the end sometimes you get lucky and find a great fare, and sometimes you don’t. You also have to consider that the cheapest fare is not always the best route. You may end up having to spend the night in some airport and rent a hotel room. You may choose a carrier that has setup the seats in a way that you have to be a midget to be comfortable and the only option is to upgrade to the premium economy section which after you pay the upgrade the direct flight that cost more actually ends up cheaper. United Airlines is good for this. For the money, Thai seems to be the best in terms of comfort.

That’s my two baht worth anyway.

My Korea flight was cheapest Early April for my Sept 12th Flight at $762,I waited too long by a week had to pay $100 more.Price never went down.I used Koreas site as well as expedia etc.most flights from west coast $1000-$1300 RT.I would prefer Cathay but was pricier LAX to HKG to BKK with only 2 hour layover.

yea I've been watching the ticket price for a few month now looking for a flight in nov/dec. and the price have started to creep up bit by bit. The best I found was about $1000 from Asiana like a month ago, Round trip from Chicago to Bangkok, travel time was like 27-30 hours each way....The best I can find now is around 1220 from Korean air 20-22 hours each way which I like alot better, they also serve better food in my opinion.

I just purchased (yesterday) a ret with Thaiair from PER-BKK leaving 4/10 and ret 3/11 for $822aus, best price for those dates with Thai for months and I check every day.

Dont mind paying a bit more for a direct flight which beats the hell out of those budget flights with hourly stopovers. Could have got a Singapore Air for $733 but with a 6hr layover ...forget it

For me the cheapest has always been in the 7-8 month mark. Also ensures getting a decent seat selection. Works for me!!!

May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is no best time for buying ticket because last time I bought my ticket 10 days before the departure date and this time I have just bought my ticket and 5 days later I will be flying. It is not about the time, it is about the airline company IMO. I will be flying with Etihad and they have had the same price(500€) for 2.5 months.

i find for long haul non-peak season from the uk you can get great deals within 2 weeks of flying! peak season forget it you have to book as far as possible in advance.

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

yea I've been watching the ticket price for a few month now looking for a flight in nov/dec. and the price have started to creep up bit by bit. The best I found was about $1000 from Asiana like a month ago, Round trip from Chicago to Bangkok, travel time was like 27-30 hours each way....The best I can find now is around 1220 from Korean air 20-22 hours each way which I like alot better, they also serve better food in my opinion.

Try http://www.cheapoair.com/.

I got a price of $919 yesterday RT from Boston.

For me the cheapest has always been in the 7-8 month mark. Also ensures getting a decent seat selection. Works for me!!!

me too..picked my star seat within 5 meters of the trolley dollies nest... all free on emirates..hic

its simple on long-haul flights book as soon as possible, you dont want to compete with business men willing to pay big bucks for that seat to get to a bankers mines bigger than yours meeting, the 8 week is good for european flights, australasian, and yankee doodle dandy internal flights