Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Credit Card Fees

discoman

Have you ever when to a shop and negotiated a price on something only to have the merchant tell you that they are going to charge an extra 3% - 5% if you use a credit card?

This happened to me until one day I read that the merchants can not do this. It is against their contract with the credit card companies. People go into their shops sometimes because the take credit card and the increase in business should more than cover the extra fee they are charged.

If this happens to you tell them that you don't want to pay over the agreed price because you are going to charge it. If the merchant forces the issue ask them for a receipt that breaks out the extra charge for the credit card. Tell the merchant that you will take that receipt to the credit card company to verify that it is legal for them to charge the fee. They should back down.

Can be even higher in Taiwan - 7% or so. Reason: not only to cover the 2%-3% commission for the CC company, but because they'll have to declare it on their books for the tax man if it's a CC purchase, so they have to charge you the sales tax too :rolleyes:

Just think of it as a "cash discount" when you don't pay with the CC... can't begrudge them a few % profit if you've already negotiated a good price.

Have you read the forum rules?

Please resize your photos!

Sitting here now in this bar for hours,

whilst strange men rent strange flowers,

I'll be picking up your petals in another few hours...

Have you ever when to a shop and negotiated a price on something only to have the merchant tell you that they are going to charge an extra 3% - 5% if you use a credit card?

This happened to me until one day I read that the merchants can not do this. It is against their contract with the credit card companies. People go into their shops sometimes because the take credit card and the increase in business should more than cover the extra fee they are charged.

If this happens to you tell them that you don't want to pay over the agreed price because you are going to charge it. If the merchant forces the issue ask them for a receipt that breaks out the extra charge for the credit card. Tell the merchant that you will take that receipt to the credit card company to verify that it is legal for them to charge the fee. They should back down.

This is quite common in Asia in general. I've heard a number of times about this being against the terms of service with the credit card companies but this does not seem to deter them from doing it.

I've bought gold in Thailand a number of times using a credit card, and they don't blink an eye when asked to provide a detailed reciept with the additional charge for using a card.

Quite common in Japan for shops to have a sign for all to see indicating the extra charge for using a card.

Bought plan tickets in China one time thru the travel agent at the hotel. They wanted to charge me extra for using a card, but I could put it on my room bill for additional fee. Then I paid my room bill with a card, and no extra charge - go figure.