Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Best frequent flyer club for LHR-BKK

hanwellmike

Guys, some feedback on the gulf airlines Frequent Flyer clubs please.

I usually fly economy direct LHR-BKK with Thai or Eva or even BA. I am a member of all their FF clubs but never really get any benfit as I always go for the cheapest flight regardless of carrier. So I don't build up enough points in any 1 club.

I have been thinking of using either Etihad or Qatar or Emirates for the next 2 or 3 trips and I was trying to find out if these FF clubs are any quicker at advancing to the second level when you start to get the benefits (lounge access, extra baggage). Qatar Air currently look favourite just on price and schedule. Emirates give 30 kg baggage but have longest stopovers. Etihad are somewhere in the middle. Anyone got any good or bad experience with these FF clubs.

Not any of my more frequent airlines.. but for air travel questions

www.flyertalk.com

is a good site to watch and participate in... I'm sure you can post there and read there and get a lot of good info... I fly Emirates personally when I had to but I am associated with Virgin Blue and Continental, so I used to use my skywards miles on those flights when I get over Platinum on CO / Star.

I think you could post on Flyertalk and get a big detailed responses to your needs from folks that fly it daily.

Edited by Tansak KTV

Trying to Stay Out Of Trouble, But It Isn't Working

If going for direct flight options I find Thai to be best for my circumstances as I use other Star Alliance airlines on a fairly regular basis. Saying that I normally end up flying with EVA as they are cheaper (and I find that they have better planes and service). The only problem with EVA is that it has a very limited useage for points credited.

I almost had to purchase a flight via one of the lines that you mention and had a quick scan over their frequent flyer benefits. The biggest problem for me is that they are not associated with any / many other 'regular' airlines so building up points may take a while.

ทำให้ไม่ชอบสงคราม

If you're in the habit of purchasing cheap flights then most FF programs will 'throttle' the benefits, so you have to ask yourself "will I be changing my buying habits and will it work in my favour". I fly a couple of times a year and the worth of FF programs is not that great. When Qatar flew out of Gatwick I took 2 flights in one year and went up a level, but still no massive benefits.

You may be right Slacker. I will be taking 2 return trips before the end of the year and on the second trip (November) I will be taking golf clubs. EVA would have been first choice but they have told me clearly that they will charge me approx £200 each way to carry the clubs (6 kg excess weight). Emirates will carry clubs for free but their timetable isn't great. Qatar Air timetable is quite good and apparently give you an extra 10 kg just by joining their FF club at the first entry level. So 30 kg's allowance with Qatar makes them favourite.

My mates have already booked with BA and that is costing £800 (incl golf clubs). So if I can get say £550 including the clubs that will be a good deal.

I may be better off ignoring the FF stuff and just book the cheapest flight each time and will probably end up better off in the long run.

Emirates

Silver Tier 25,000 miles

Gold Tier 50,000 miles

All flights allow 30kg luggage, Silver card allows extra 12kg, Gold extra 16kg

Silver & Gold cards allow priority check in

Silver allows access to lounges at Dubai, Gold allows access at other airports

2 trips to LOS a year is enough for Silver tier

Flights available @ 6 airports across UK - not having to travel to London gives me a huge advantage

Emirates

Silver Tier 25,000 miles

Gold Tier 50,000 miles

All flights allow 30kg luggage, Silver card allows extra 12kg, Gold extra 16kg

Silver & Gold cards allow priority check in

Silver allows access to lounges at Dubai, Gold allows access at other airports

2 trips to LOS a year is enough for Silver tier

Flights available @ 6 airports across UK - not having to travel to London gives me a huge advantage

All of the above kevcov is said is true except you need to be aware that that for discounted flights the skywards program now only offer half the miles. so if you want to pay the discounted price for your flight it'd be 4 trips per year before you got silver status. in addition the options for the standard free flights are very restricted normally including long layovers in dubai - i had to book my june flights dates back in last october as they were the only dates for weekend flights available. note i'm a current silver status member and are now flying etihad next trip due to the overall emirates experience deteriorating each time i fly - currently etihads FF scheme doesn't have date restrictions on the freebies.

All of the above kevcov is said is true except you need to be aware that that for discounted flights the skywards program now only offer half the miles. so if you want to pay the discounted price for your flight it'd be 4 trips per year before you got silver status. in addition the options for the standard free flights are very restricted normally including long layovers in dubai - i had to book my june flights dates back in last october as they were the only dates for weekend flights available. note i'm a current silver status member and are now flying etihad next trip due to the overall emirates experience deteriorating each time i fly - currently etihads FF scheme doesn't have date restrictions on the freebies.

That's right discounted flights only get 50% of the miles, I've yet to see any of these discounts on the flight schedules, probably on corporate bookings and packages

Cant comment on the free flights I would prefer a upgrade

I am quite happy with the standard of service with Emirates, but there are a lot of other airlines offering equally good or better service

My only gripe is that they have a whole range of flights Dubai to BKK all with different prices, of coarse the one with the best connection for me is nether the cheepest

The big thing for me is getting on a flight at Newcastle, this can save me as much as half a days travel

Hope this has not been too much Offtopic2.gif

Guys, some feedback on the gulf airlines Frequent Flyer clubs please. I usually fly economy direct LHR-BKK with Thai or Eva or even BA. I am a member of all their FF clubs but never really get any benfit as I always go for the cheapest flight regardless of carrier. So I don't build up enough points in any 1 club. I have been thinking of using either Etihad or Qatar or Emirates for the next 2 or 3 trips and I was trying to find out if these FF clubs are any quicker at advancing to the second level when you start to get the benefits (lounge access, extra baggage). Qatar Air currently look favourite just on price and schedule. Emirates give 30 kg baggage but have longest stopovers. Etihad are somewhere in the middle. Anyone got any good or bad experience with these FF clubs.

You may be right Slacker. I will be taking 2 return trips before the end of the year and on the second trip (November) I will be taking golf clubs. EVA would have been first choice but they have told me clearly that they will charge me approx £200 each way to carry the clubs (6 kg excess weight). Emirates will carry clubs for free but their timetable isn't great. Qatar Air timetable is quite good and apparently give you an extra 10 kg just by joining their FF club at the first entry level. So 30 kg's allowance with Qatar makes them favourite.My mates have already booked with BA and that is costing £800 (incl golf clubs). So if I can get say £550 including the clubs that will be a good deal.I may be better off ignoring the FF stuff and just book the cheapest flight each time and will probably end up better off in the long run.

FF Membership Schemes are good if you use a certain airline alot or a certain alliance alot.

If you book the cheapest tickets each trip then the FF loyality schemes will be no good to you as the cheap tickets do not qualify for points or miles.

Thai airways who is a member of the Star Alliance who runs Royal Orchid plus does not give miles on its cheap tickets V & W but does on Q and higher.

As certain tickets cost more to get points or air miles added to your account you do pay big time for the benefits you get.

I do currently enjoy the Gold card benefits but if I just booked cheap tickets for my flights I would be quids in & financialy better of but of course I would not have my Gold card & all the benefits.

I also do not agree with you as IMO Emirates does have some very good connection times.

Most flights I have taken with Emirates I have only been in Dubai airport for 3 hours max.

Enjoy the flights & if you can save money & spend it on enjoyment & good times in LOS its all good. :GoldenSmile1:

:001_Thank_You5:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am still undecided but leaning towards Qatar air for the next 2 flights. Their service has very good reviews on Skytrax and their prices and schedules are good. I am even considering treating myself to a bus class ticket when I take the golf clubs (approx £1500 which is not much more than BA premium economy).

I think Emirates is the best program out of LHR. My guess is they will join the star alliance within 2 years.

That's right discounted flights only get 50% of the miles, I've yet to see any of these discounts on the flight schedules, probably on corporate bookings and packages

I am quite happy with the standard of service with Emirates, but there are a lot of other airlines offering equally good or better service

My only gripe is that they have a whole range of flights Dubai to BKK all with different prices, of coarse the one with the best connection for me is nether the cheepest

The big thing for me is getting on a flight at Newcastle, this can save me as much as half a days travel

Hi Kev,

I've recently started flying from NCL with Emirates, after getting sick of the 24 hour layover at Heathrow. I agree, great service & it's local. I recently tried to claim some miles retrospectively after joining Skywards, but they wouldn't have it.

I'm thinking about going the old way again, especially as Kingfisher has cheap flights from LHR. I have a mate who worked himself up the greasy Skywards pole a couple of years ago, but they've recently tightened it up. He gets a free upgrade to business class on 2 legs at least every trip.

BTW when's your next trip?

Peace. :GoldenSmile1:

sgu_banner.gif

Hope this has not been too much Offtopic2.gif

I think you will find that Emirates now class all of there flights as 'discounted'. (Unless you are booking first/business or open tickets). On there booking page today all flights in September from Manchester attract only 6000 tier miles which means you need 5 return trips to Bangkok in a year to get silver status.

I am crrently a gold member and yes the benifits are very good, but the new system which came into use this year makes it impossible for me to retain gold or silver status. Once I have lost my status I think I will be using Qatar as there system at the moment seems to be the best.

Edited by handman

I think you will find that Emirates now class all of there flights as 'discounted'. (Unless you are booking first/business or open tickets). On there booking page today all flights in September from Manchester attract only 6000 tier miles which means you need 5 return trips to Bangkok in a year to get silver status.

I am crrently a gold member and yes the benifits are very good, but the new system which came into use this year makes it impossible for me to retain gold or silver status. Once I have lost my status I think I will be using Qatar as there system at the moment seems to be the best.

Strange that

The flights I booked in march are all flex give me 12,000 tier miles

The same flights now are about the same price half are flex and half saver giving 9.000 miles

They also seem to be rounding down the miles, used to get 12,600

My current silver card was achieved with 2 trips last year, that would no longer be enough

Hi Kev,

I've recently started flying from NCL with Emirates, after getting sick of the 24 hour layover at Heathrow. I agree, great service & it's local. I recently tried to claim some miles retrospectively after joining Skywards, but they wouldn't have it.

I'm thinking about going the old way again, especially as Kingfisher has cheap flights from LHR. I have a mate who worked himself up the greasy Skywards pole a couple of years ago, but they've recently tightened it up. He gets a free upgrade to business class on 2 legs at least every trip.

BTW when's your next trip?

Peace. :GoldenSmile1:

They will usually give you the miles for your current itinerary if you hand the application to a flight attendant

Hopping on the plain at newcastle is still the best option for me

I will be wheels up 23 Nov arrive patts afternoon 24 Nov

I don't bother now with frequent flyers schemes. I've decided to just book the most appealing flight available when I'm ready to book. A few years ago I was a Thai Airways gold card (their top) holder and I did enjoy it, it also kept me loyal to them. I had a free return 1st class ticket to Thailand and the Philippines once and from the scheme it was special but the cheaper booking classes now attract either no, or reduced mile awards. Also Thai seem to have lost ground to their competitiors in terms of value for money and an ageing fleet on their busy London - BKK route.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

I think Emirates is the best program out of LHR. My guess is they will join the star alliance within 2 years.

Emirates currently aligns with airlines in each of the major programs:

• Star Alliance: United/Continental, South African
  • OneWorld: JAL
  • SkyTeam: Korean

If Emirates joins Star Alliance, won't they have to rework their entire partner and codeshare program?

**I'm not saying it won't happen as Continental just did the same thing. (IMO to better align with United, post-merger).

Edited by arbiez

emirates used to be a fav of mine , but since they changed there freq flyer program its hard to attain/maintain the next level of status (silver/gold) . etihad looks like a good one these days , although thai/star alliance were also good , but havent used them in a while !

Sloth

Strange that

The flights I booked in march are all flex give me 12,000 tier miles

The same flights now are about the same price half are flex and half saver giving 9.000 miles

They also seem to be rounding down the miles, used to get 12,600

My current silver card was achieved with 2 trips last year, that would no longer be enough

You are correct in that they differ between flex and saver. I am currently booked to fly out in September returning in October. At the time I booked there were only saver tickets on offer giving 6000 tier miles for the return trip. I checked yesterday and again today and all flights on my dates only offer 6000 tier miles (annoyingly they are now £40 cheaper than I paid, although not for the exact same flights).

The price for flights from Manchester offered by Emirates, Etihad and Qatar are all very similar, they all fluctuate, but if you keep an eye on them they all bottom out at about the same price. Currently the frequent flyer scheme offered by Qatar in my opinion is superior, (the question asked by the OP), while Etihad offer more flyer miles, (both offer the same tier advancement, which is equivalent to Emirates 'old' tier miles ie two trips will get you to the next level), there seconed tier does not allow for the use of buisiness class check in or the business class lounge in Abu Dhabi, both important benefits in my opinion.

I have used all of my cuurent airmiles with Emirates to upgrade to business class for my next trip and unless there is a huge price difference, from next year I will switch to Qatar.

if you want to fly as cheaply as possible then FF programmes aren't any use. they might be some help in getting upgrades but that's a long shot.