Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ10 or Canon S90?

lbfmlover

I am about to buy a new camera, I have been looking for a while and i have shortlisted 2 cameras. The Panasonic lumix TZ10 and the Canon S90. I would really like the HD recording facilty that the lumix has but i have heard the picture quality of the Canon cannot be beaten in the compact camera market. Owners of either camera or people who know what they are talking about, please help me to make a decision.

I,m no expert photographer, but i want a good camera with decent zoom and resonable video quality.

Thanks Nick

Edited by lbfmlover

I have the Canon S90 and it is a brilliant camera with fantastic picture quality. To me, the strength of the camera is its unparalleled performance under low light. It is really good at taking pictures without a flash, which gives you more flexibility while using this camera.

I am very happy with it.

I have a Canon S90 and I love it. The image quality is not as good on the Lumix TZ10, but if you like Panasonic then go for the LX3. Both the LX3 and the S90's image quality are far superior to the other P & S's on the market.

Elephants are really, really big compared to televisions....yet I saw a whole herd of 'em on my TV only yesterday..Go figure?
Oh..I nearly forgot..Ehhhh?

ALLEY

I also have an S90.

For me it was the excellent performance in low light conditions that won me over.

You won't be disappointed.

I have two Canon S90s.

One I took out in the rain a week after getting it sent out from UK. :NoNo3::Hit_Self:

... and another one I bought here last week at TukCom. :Cry3::ShitHappens1:

Now if only Mr Alleycat could bring along two of his models and teach me how to use it. :Photo1::Drool:

... and another one I bought here last week at TukCom. :Cry3::ShitHappens1:

Glad your back in the game!

S90 all the way! f2.0 lens, IS, and RAW capability nail it for me.

Glad your back in the game!

It hurt because they're dearer here (i thought) but for anyone buying in Pattaya, the prices went 16000 (4 Gb) 16100 (2 Gb) 17900 (4Gb) then 14200 (4Gb) - guess what, I grabbed it. That's as cheap/cheaper than UK I think. Maybe he made a mistake but he was a good 5 minutes pounding his calculator and he phoned someone as well. The ticket price said 16400.

I wasn't much bothered about the card because I have an 8 Gb from the other one (and spare battery etc of course).

The shop was in the centre away from the escalator towards Pattaya Tai named World Cameras.

PS - the pics in my Play Misty's for Me thread are straight out of the box - not brilliant but they'll probably get worse as I start to play with it.

I think I need to practice on something more stationary perhaps. :GoldenSmile1:

One thing I was very impressed with was the DOF of the S90 lens shown here, note how everything in the foreground is out of focus and in the background in focus.... might not look much but I have never seen any other P&S be able to do that.

post-11269-049906200 1280947308.jpg

Another +1 for the S90!

This is a pic taken with the S90

Edge mate..When I get there I'll go through some stuff with you

June July 2010 3 339.JPG

Elephants are really, really big compared to televisions....yet I saw a whole herd of 'em on my TV only yesterday..Go figure?

ALLEY

And another

030.JPG

ALLEY

I just bought the TZ10 yesterday - wish I had read these posts first :Booboo:

Edited by Tarl

I will get a Canon S90.

Last month they were £300 at the duty free in Heathrow Terminal 3.

UK high street prices are £60 more.

Canon S90 has no HD recording & the zoom is not much.

Last month I purchased the Sony HX5 as it has the zoom x 10 & HD recording but I know the Canon does produce better pics.

Another great thread. Thanks for all the input & good advice.

:001_Thank_You5:

• 4 weeks later...

My friend is bringing me a Canon S90 from the States, will cost me 13,000 Baht with an 8GB card.

Looking forward to it arriving next week.

The Canon S90 has arrived, what a great little camera it is too.

Thanks to some of the posters here whose pics I saw, I was turned on to the quality pics that can be produced with this amazing camera.

I have a Canon EOS 40D DSLR that now will probably hardly ever get used.

I'm still playing around with the various settings, will try to put some pics up soon.

Highly recommended.

I will get a Canon S90.

Last month they were £300 at the duty free in Heathrow Terminal 3.

UK high street prices are £60 more.

Canon S90 has no HD recording & the zoom is not much.

Last month I purchased the Sony HX5 as it has the zoom x 10 & HD recording but I know the Canon does produce better pics.

Another great thread. Thanks for all the input & good advice.

:001_Thank_You5:

looks like the upgrade is already out..the s95 with hd recording

Edited by simon

Canon unveils PowerShot S95 premium compact,The latest model includes an upgraded sensor capable of 720p HD video recording and the company's 'Hybrid IS' system that compensates for more types of movement. It also adds multi-aspect ratio shooting and SDXC card compatibility. Other than these features it inherits a lightly tweaked version of the S90's basic body design including the control ring, 28-105mm F2.0-4.9 stabilized lens and 3.0" LCD.

http://www.dpreview.co.uk/news/1008/10081918canonpowershots95.asp

PowerShot-S95-BEAUTY-001.jpg

Canon unveils PowerShot S95 premium compact,The latest model includes an upgraded sensor capable of 720p HD video recording and the company's 'Hybrid IS' system that compensates for more types of movement. It also adds multi-aspect ratio shooting and SDXC card compatibility. Other than these features it inherits a lightly tweaked version of the S90's basic body design including the control ring, 28-105mm F2.0-4.9 stabilized lens and 3.0" LCD.

http://www.dpreview.co.uk/news/1008/10081918canonpowershots95.asp

post-10720-060734500 1283358960.jpg

Thanks for the info & update on this most interesting subject.

Look forward to the pics & examples.

:001_Thank_You5::001_Thank_You5:

I have the Lumix TZ 7 and very happy with it.

I think the newer tz10 does not have such a good zoom as my tz7, but it has GPRS. Woow!

never used the Cannon D90 so limited comparison I,m afraid!

TZ7 has a fantastic zoom

zoom in & out whilst in video mode.

picture quality is good enough for me!

Norway long zoom.MOV

Isn't the Panasonic more comparable with maybe the Canon SX210? That's the one I was looking at. The S90 looks nice too but not much on the zoom side.

• 2 weeks later...

The S95 is available in Thailand. I am surprised to see that they still haven't reduced the price of the S90 though. In Thailand they want more for the S90 (16000Baht) than you can get the S95 for in Australia (AUD530 - about 15000 Baht).

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....