IGNORED

HTC Desire

Jaco2

I've just taken delivery (on upgrade) of a new phone, the HTC Desire.

Having been a Nokia fan for years apart from a brief flirtation with the Sony Ericsson P990i (a major disappointment that had me running straight back my trusty Nokia 6290i) this is my first Android O/S phone and in the four days I've had it, I'm mighty impressed by it. My operator offered me the Desire or the 8GB Apple iPhone v3 but once I saw the phones, there was no contest. I've heard great things about the Apple iPhone v4 - out of my price range at present - but equally I've heard similar great things about theHTC Wildfire and fantastic things about the HTC Evo which is reckoned by many to be the best smartphone on the market right now, including the iPhone v4.

I think I made the right choice - but what do other boardies think about the Apple vs Android phones debate?

I phone, No contest.......

htc nexus one crew in, android easily wins

1fdgaa9.png

ZU9NQ.jpg

Edited by barclayton
  • Like 1

htc nexus one crew in, android easily wins

1fdgaa9.png

ZU9NQ.jpg

lollololololololololololololol

delete my account please

Go with what makes you happy. Getting into a OS debate is like pissing into the wind. Both do the exact same damn things and its just a matter of how they display them to you.

'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

When I'm single I like playing the field. You call it picking up hookers. - Jim Norton

Go with what makes you happy. Getting into a OS debate is like pissing into the wind. Both do the exact same damn things and its just a matter of how they display them to you.

Definitely have to agree with this.

Personally, I have the iPhone 4 and love it. I also had the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G as well; I've been happy with all of them.

Just be careful with the Android phones. About a week ago, there was something on the news that lots of 'bloatware' was being installed on Android phones from the cell carriers and supposedly you aren't able to take it off.

(at least that's what the news reports were saying)

Allen

**coughes** mutli-tasking **coughes**

I got the HTC dream for work purpose.. Full slide out qwerty + touchscreen same size as i-phone..

I don't buy any apps.. No need, there is fuckloads of them out there for free.

Never crashed.. Doesn't fuck up.. Hands down the best phone ive owned..

The iphone would shit me, i can't stand touch only interacting.

Hmmmmm.

I'm one of the most picky people when it comes to technology and for a long time shunned the iPhone choosing instead the windows equivalents. I sat there smugly with my physical keyboard, 3G, high res screen, and hacked applications.

Then on a whim I bought an iPhone and now wouldn't be without it. The arguments people come up with against the iPhone are actually insignificant once you get one.

Fact is from a usability perspective it's absolutely spot on... It just 'works' and does everything I could possibly want from phone.

Just get one and you'll understand :). The geek in me wants android... But the iPhone is so spot on I doubt I will change for a long time.

Same with the iPad, held off on getting one because I couldn't justify it.. Then bought on a whim and wouldn't be without it. Sure it's less functional than a net book but what it does do it is extremely good at... now I hardly use my fancy laptop other than gambling and image editing.

Make of that what you will!

**coughes** mutli-tasking **coughes**

I got the HTC dream for work purpose.. Full slide out qwerty + touchscreen same size as i-phone..

I don't buy any apps.. No need, there is fuckloads of them out there for free.

Never crashed.. Doesn't fuck up.. Hands down the best phone ive owned..

The iphone would shit me, i can't stand touch only interacting.

I had one of these... iPhone rarely crashes... I can type quicker on the iPhone than the physical keyboard.. And the applications work for me rather than against me.. iPhone has multi tasking and it's implementation is fantastic.

Used to think like you... Until I got one :).

I had one of these... iPhone rarely crashes... I can type quicker on the iPhone than the physical keyboard.. And the applications work for me rather than against me.. iPhone has multi tasking and it's implementation is fantastic.

Used to think like you... Until I got one :).

We must have used different versions of iphones or something.. The new os update supports multi tasking?

ALOT of my mates ones crash often.. And i bet you couldn't type as fast as me on my htc qwerty.. Or have the same battery life.

We must have used different versions of iphones or something.. The new os update supports multi tasking?

ALOT of my mates ones crash often.. And i bet you couldn't type as fast as me on my htc qwerty.. Or have the same battery life.

IOS 4.0 supports multi tasking... You just double click the home button, your apps are displayed along the bottom, choose the one you want and hey presto!

I found battery life to be comparable against my HTC device... in fact HTC was worse when driving between meetings as when jumping between base stations killed the battery.. And I can promise you, while it might not be intuitive to think so, typing on the iphone is much much faster. The auto correct is so good the the speed is comparable to a full size keyboard for me.

No idea why your friends iphone crashes. Mine has been solid as a rock even after jail breaking!

Like I say,ive had both, and while I HATE to admit it the iPhone is much better. It's one of those you don't know unless you've got one things...

I Use the HTC Desire and ist is a great Phone. The Widgets that can be placed on the Homescreens are Priceless. Sure, the Iphone has its advantages, but without the widgets, Android wins for me.

Do the iphone have swype, OH LOL STEVE JOBS WONT let you change the keyboard

Hmmmmm.

I'm one of the most picky people when it comes to technology and for a long time shunned the iPhone choosing instead the windows equivalents. I sat there smugly with my physical keyboard, 3G, high res screen, and hacked applications.

Then on a whim I bought an iPhone and now wouldn't be without it. The arguments people come up with against the iPhone are actually insignificant once you get one.

Fact is from a usability perspective it's absolutely spot on... It just 'works' and does everything I could possibly want from phone.

Just get one and you'll understand :). The geek in me wants android... But the iPhone is so spot on I doubt I will change for a long time.

Same with the iPad, held off on getting one because I couldn't justify it.. Then bought on a whim and wouldn't be without it. Sure it's less functional than a net book but what it does do it is extremely good at... now I hardly use my fancy laptop other than gambling and image editing.

Make of that what you will!

lol

I could have written the same.

I too am a technology geek and a professional IT guy. I held up without the iPhone for a very long time and recently switched to iPhone 3GS OS 4 and iPad 64 GB. Now, I cannot live without them. They do work.

The amount of applications out there is amazing, you can get almost anything you want for a very reasonable price. Battery life is also good, I need to charge my phone every other day usually. It is very rare that I need to charge the phone next day, then again, I do not use 3G and Wifi use is limited to home and coffee shops.

All in all, I stand on the iPhone/iPad side. They work and do what they do brilliantly.

Incidentally, I hate the MAC as a computer and sole mine shortly after I got it. I prefer Ubuntu and not Windows 7, so I am no Apple fan guy, just a happy user of the iPhone/iPad.

Do the iphone have swype, OH LOL STEVE JOBS WONT let you change the keyboard

Erm... that video is so retarded I made my own in response:

:).

A lot of you have voted for the i phone, but what makes it better than the HTC Desire or even the Samsung Galaxy S and Sony x10.

I have to upgrade in a few weeks and considering one of the above three. can anyone comment on pro and cons of the above. I am considering the Nokia N8 but i think release date is too far away.

I can not have i phone, but not sure i want it, As unable to carry spare battery, and is there a problem putting in a thai sim?

My experience with the N97 was really bad, I will not pay lots of money for a Nokia phone in the future.

iPhone 3GS has a decent battery life. It can easily last for a whole day, with 20% or more left during a heavy useage day. When I am taking it easy, the charge will be sufficient for 2 days.

Forget Android and Apple. I've just bought the new Samsung Wave with Bada OS and a Super Amoled screen. Great phone with a lovely bright screen. A better option IMO for only 13,900 baht.

• 3 weeks later...

It's fake multitasking, using the same technology used in the early days of Windows CE. Additionally, not all apps will be able to multi-task. For most normal users, it shouldn't be an issue. But if you're tech savvy, you'll hate the restriction.

• 2 weeks later...

i think the i-phone is nice but i would not swap it for my HTC until it allowed me to tether it to my netbook out of the box.

tethering on on my HTC Tattoo is great, useful in the UK but extra useful in LOS and when traveling.

also my HTC can charge from a standard mini USB interface, the apple charger is proprietary. I can use the mini usb to charge my HTC, same as my camera sat-nav etc, less stuff to pack.

i always feel apple want to control how their stuff is used, but my HTC is much more open.

It's fake multitasking, using the same technology used in the early days of Windows CE. Additionally, not all apps will be able to multi-task. For most normal users, it shouldn't be an issue. But if you're tech savvy, you'll hate the restriction.

And it only works on 3GS and 4. I know you can enable it on 3G as well via jailbreaking, but honestly iOS 4 is so slow on my 3G that it does not make any sense.

Generally if you are happy with what Apple provides and do not need anything else (like Google voice, ssh access, tethering, phone unlock), you'll be happy with that. If not, you'll hate constantly hacking your iPhone to get those things on. It is possible, but having done it during last two years I wonder whether it worth time investment at all. Personally I'll not buy anything else from Apple anymore.

Edited by fatnemesis

I prefer Android over Apple simply because I find Apple products to be too restrictive. I appreciate the amount of panache and effort that goes into making Apple's interface as intuitive and easy as possible. But to accomplish this level of polish, Apple puts limits on functionality, features, and content. When you use an Apple product, you have to think and do things the way Apple wants you to. There's little you can do to alter the way you interact with your device. Where as, on an android platform, you can customize and personalize your interface and apps to do things the way you see is best and most efficient for you.

On the hardware front, Apple can deny and spin the information a dozen different ways, but at the end of the day, they have a very real problem with their antenna design. Simply saying that all mobile phones suffer from signal attenuation when gripped a certain way, is not a solution. A software update is not going to fix things either. It's a hardware issue and no amount of software patching is going to fix it. If anything, their patching just changes how your signal strength is displayed and makes the signal bars look taller. That's deception, not a solution. It's a matter of poor RF Antenna design.

Comparing the number of apps for Apple and Android is meaningless at this point. Both platforms have plenty of content with similar utility. There's also plenty of platform crossover.

When all is said and done, choosing Apple or Android is just a statement in personal style and preference. Some people will be drawn to Apple's clean aesthetics. Other folks prefer to be able to freely tinker and mold their device into something that looks nothing like what the manufacturer envisioned, but works very well for them nonetheless.

Know yourself and choose wisely.

Cheers!

ZGF