IGNORED

Faster internet connection?

Big Koala

I am using both DTAC and 12Call sim cards with internet packages,

in a USB modem on my laptop,

they are both awfully slow and unrelliable.

using EDGE/GPRS to connect.

i thought i read somewhere about a company with 3G available in BKK and pattaya.

anyone know about this or know a faster connection available.

Thanks

3G is available in Pattaya using True but only over on the brightside and it does drop out now and again. You can buy a SIM up at the Tesco's on Suk Rd. It's best if you go in and talk to the girl at the desk as she will give you a more solid answer than i can.

Went to the zoo today. Spent ages at the camel enclosure, looking at their toes. They look nothing like a fanny. Disappointing.

• 6 months later...

Since you are only using a USB modem and relying on 3G signals, you can have a faster Internet connection if you make an improvised antenna. A small strainer will do. Just place it at the end of your USB modem. Be careful with it, though. Also, you do not necessarily need to open and disassemble your modem.

awfully slow and unrelliable.

using EDGE/GPRS

EDGE/GPRS is slow, everywhere in the world. It's just a very slow connection.

The answer at the moment is 3G, as you mentioned. As long as you live in a good reception area (Pattaya seems pretty well-covered to me, at least the parts I go to) then the only slowdowns will come from overload on the actual phone company's servers and connection, or indeed throttling if you have exceeded your allowance.

Of course having your own ADSL/cable is better and cheaper, if possible.

• 2 months later...

when in Pattaya i use True High speed net sim in my iphone 3gs and teather it to my laptop. its very quick in most

bitts of Pattaya and youtube and Skype is not a problem. just be sure to top it up with a full months worth of use

because you can only recharge it every 30 days. I think 3gig is 699baht and easily lasts a month. also works in BKK and Chiang Mai