IGNORED

fatty - correct english spelling

chaang

Long story short. I am a photographer and will be setting up a new website for portraits and personal work once on the ground. I would like to use my nickname fatty in Thai as the domain name and just wanted some feedback on the unofficial english spelling for อ้วน ( oo-an )

What would be you guys advice for the best spelling :

ooan

uwan

uaan

or other.

Appreciate any feedback on probably the most important post ever in the history of PA :GoldenSmile1:

Long story short. I am a photographer and will be setting up a new website for portraits and personal work once on the ground. I would like to use my nickname fatty in Thai as the domain name and just wanted some feedback on the unofficial english spelling for อ้วน ( oo-an )

What would be you guys advice for the best spelling :

ooan

uwan

uaan

or other.

Appreciate any feedback on probably the most important post ever in the history of PA :GoldenSmile1:

I dont think there can be an "official" version for a phonetic.

Also I think Ooan means fat not fatty. Pompooey (again phonetic) might be better, as well as more tongue in cheek. My understanding is that ooan is harsh/rude and used where criticism is intended, whereas Pompooey is a more joking term.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

its spelt uaan in the thai dictionary

Farang = Walking ATM. TG's push the right buttons and money comes out. PIN = BBBJ

I dont think there can be an "official" version for a phonetic.

Also I think Ooan means fat not fatty. Pompooey (again phonetic) might be better, as well as more tongue in cheek. My understanding is that ooan is harsh/rude and used where criticism is intended, whereas Pompooey is a more joking term.

My ex love me too much by giving me that name. I did used to call her EE MOO DON though :GoldenSmile1:

Thing is I have lost 2.5 stone and am now a buff 16.5 stone and over 6ft so its not as if its an insult anymore :ShitHappens1:

I would try อ้ายอ้วน. aay uan. But test it on a few Thai people first (See what they think, not call them it). That's how I'd call a friend fatty anyway but you have to be aware that it's situational as to whether it's an insult or a joke. Depends how well you know them. I think Thais would find it funny if you called yourself that anyway but I've never tried

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

I would try อ้ายอ้วน. aay uan. But test it on a few Thai people first (See what they think, not call them it). That's how I'd call a friend fatty anyway but you have to be aware that it's situational as to whether it's an insult or a joke. Depends how well you know them. I think Thais would find it funny if you called yourself that anyway but I've never tried

Doctor,

Once again thank you. Are you a professor at SOAS or something :GoldenSmile1:

I have used the name ouan before and the Thais seem to like the farang make fun of farang angle. I am looking to use the name as a nom de plume as it were and looking for something that will be an ice breaker. Again this is so that I dont have to give out my corp website info !

Once i get this finalised is it a nightmare to change my PA Board member name ?

Doctor,

Once again thank you. Are you a professor at SOAS or something :GoldenSmile1:

I have used the name ouan before and the Thais seem to like the farang make fun of farang angle. I am looking to use the name as a nom de plume as it were and looking for something that will be an ice breaker. Again this is so that I dont have to give out my corp website info !

Once i get this finalised is it a nightmare to change my PA Board member name ?

Not at all....just say the word!

its spelt uaan in the thai dictionary

Check out 2 or 3 dictionaries. If they all spell it the same way thats probably the best source you will get :GoldenSmile1:

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Check out 2 or 3 dictionaries. If they all spell it the same way thats probably the best source you will get :GoldenSmile1:

i did that ! :ShitHappens1:

i got ooan, uaan and uwan ! Hence my confusion :WinkGrin1:

ooan makes the most sense to me. just wanted to make sure if i give out my card someone will be able to pronounce it.

i did that ! :GoldenSmile1:

i got ooan, uaan and uwan ! Hence my confusion :ShitHappens1:

ooan makes the most sense to me. just wanted to make sure if i give out my card someone will be able to pronounce it.

I thought I answered your questions on English spellings on another of your threads? Thai script is the only correct spelling, different phonetics systems, depends which one you know, what sounds correct to you etc?

I dont think there can be an "official" version for a phonetic...etc.
Actually, there is, mate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Thai_General_System_of_Transcription

Working at getting laid in Pattaya is like working at drowning at the bottom of the ocean.  If you want to get the most out of Pattaya, take the chicks for granted, and enjoy life like you would on any other holiday.

I thought I answered your questions on English spellings on another of your threads? Thai script is the only correct spelling, different phonetics systems, depends which one you know, what sounds correct to you etc?

Doc, got that.

fatty - correct english spelling i know there isnt an official spelling - asking what you guys think

Maybe i couldve explained it a bit better though :Think1:

Whats i would write that sounds good to me is ooan . But looking to get some biz cards done, domain name etc. Didnt want any puzzled faces regarding what i eventually go with. Ok so the question now is : If you see ooan on a biz card are you going to see it and think fat in thai. Or think that i am some crazy east european or something 55555555

Chaang,

I use an online dictionary/translator quite a bit, typed in Fatty and got nothing like the words you are suggesting, but anyway, I'm no expert so here it is below have a look at it for yourself. :Think1:

http://www.thai2english.com/#Overview

Best of British with it.

Bam Bam

That which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger

Chaang,

I use an online dictionary/translator quite a bit, typed in Fatty and got nothing like the words you are suggesting, but anyway, I'm no expert so here it is below have a look at it for yourself. :Think1:

http://www.thai2english.com/#Overview

Best of British with it.

Bam Bam

looking at the link for fatty , i think its referring to fat as in meat (but my written thai is dodgy ).

Fat seems to work though , has the adjective for fat and has spelt it differently again as uan 5555.

Thanks for the headsup though !

Edited by chaang

Doc, got that.

fatty - correct english spelling i know there isnt an official spelling - asking what you guys think

Maybe i couldve explained it a bit better though :Circle_Sharks:

Whats i would write that sounds good to me is ooan . But looking to get some biz cards done, domain name etc. Didnt want any puzzled faces regarding what i eventually go with. Ok so the question now is : If you see ooan on a biz card are you going to see it and think fat in thai. Or think that i am some crazy east european or something 55555555

if i didnt know it was suppose to be phonetic thai i would never think that you were trying to say a thai word...

also, as posted by others ooan or ouan. means fat... nothing else.. pum pui is more along the lines of what you mean.. plus i think it is more recognizable by farang with some thailand experience.. especially board member types...

when you say you are fat it is a negative towards yourself and even though im sure many thai laugh when they hear it they are being polite and it is known that your thai language isnt that strong yet...

if i were you i would consider pum pui or whatever spelling of it you like...

if i didnt know it was suppose to be phonetic thai i would never think that you were trying to say a thai word...

also, as posted by others ooan or ouan. means fat... nothing else.. pum pui is more along the lines of what you mean.. plus i think it is more recognizable by farang with some thailand experience.. especially board member types...

when you say you are fat it is a negative towards yourself and even though im sure many thai laugh when they hear it they are being polite and it is known that your thai language isnt that strong yet...

if i were you i would consider pum pui or whatever spelling of it you like...

Thanks for that.

I used to call my GF ouan and she used to call me that as a nickname as well amonst other things. Maybe she was just being unpleasant to me all the time :Circle_Sharks:

ไม่รู้,งง:S

maybe back to the drawing board then.

did some digging

อ้วน uaan noun Fatty [a Thai nickname]

http://thai-language.com/dict

knew i wasnt crazy :001_Thank_You5:

Sorry , getting my memory back. the expression she used was ouan jaaaaaaaaaaaa or something like that. And it is a term of affection. So there ! :GoldenSmile1:

Edited by chaang

Although I consider myself to be only a pound or two over my fighting weight (cough!)over the years one or two lady friends have taken to calling me chang noi.

That might work for you instead.....and you're halfway there already !

Regards,Marky.

• 3 weeks later...

ooan. i think i posted before. my ex called me pee ooan all the time. not insulting. more a playful intimate name. i would not use it with a stranger. not that i'm an expert but even in english using terms like fat, fatty, fat boy, fat bastard, can be problematic. so unless you have good control over thai naming terms i'd avoid and stay neutral.

Although I consider myself to be only a pound or two over my fighting weight (cough!)over the years one or two lady friends have taken to calling me chang noi.

That might work for you instead.....and you're halfway there already !

Regards,Marky.

Means Baby Elephant I do believe ?

We have some friends who have a young boy and they call him Chaang Noi :GoldenSmile1:

Bam Bam

That which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger