Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Pattaya to Esan

chaang

Hi Guys,

Thinking about where to base myself ( BKK/PATTS) when i arrive for the long term. I will be travelling to Issaan a lot. Is it a real hassle to travel to issaan via Pattaya ( Do you have to go to Bangkok first ) or are there direct routes by bus to Khorat, Kon Kaen, Nong Khai etc from Pattaya .

Thanks in advance for any info.

There are 5 bus stations in Pattaya with direct services to Bangkok, Isaan and the North. More routes are available if you go via Morchit.

There are plenty of inexpensive flights as well Thai Air and Air Asia from Suvarnabhumi and Nok Air from Don Muang the train is also an option an overnight sleeper is best if you take the train.

A rough guide to prices say for instance to Udon Thani Bus around 500 baht, Flight 1000 - 1500 baht, Train from Pattaya - Bangkok 31 baht Bangkok - Udon Thani 2nd class air con overnight sleeper bed around 700 baht, 3rd class seat 248 baht.

Al.

Never done the bus trip north myself, hate the things, but my wife has been back up there many times, bus leaves Pattaya at 20:00 and arrives in Udon Thani around daybreak, fare is around 750 baht from memory, the depot for that is in the service Station just after you turn left into Sukhumvit from Pattaya Klang, right next to the overhead footbridge.

It goes up Highway 331 / 304 to Korat then heads to Udon Thani from there.

Bam Bam

Edited by Bam_Bam

That which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger

There are plenty of inexpensive flights as well Thai Air and Air Asia from Suvarnabhumi and Nok Air from Don Muang the train is also an option an overnight sleeper is best if you take the train.

A rough guide to prices say for instance to Udon Thani Bus around 500 baht, Flight 1000 - 1500 baht, Train from Pattaya - Bangkok 31 baht Bangkok - Udon Thani 2nd class air con overnight sleeper bed around 700 baht, 3rd class seat 248 baht.

Al.

Thanks for the info. I have done a lot of travelling out of mo chit previously. really looking to see if i can travel from pattaya to Isaan direct - rather than go via mo chit, which will add a few hours onto the journey.

There are plenty of buses that don't go via Bangkok. Many of the routes feature a stop in Khorat en-route.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

There are plenty of buses that don't go via Bangkok. Many of the routes feature a stop in Khorat en-route.

kamsamnida sabunim,

Is the station the same one that the Bangkok buses stop at ?

kamsamnida sabunim,

Is the station the same one that the Bangkok buses stop at ?

It was as far as I remember but it's probably been nearly twenty years since I caught a bus there from Bangkok, I usually just hire a car and drive myself these days.

Never done the bus trip north myself, hate the things, but my wife has been back up there many times, bus leaves Pattaya at 20:00 and arrives in Udon Thani around daybreak, fare is around 750 baht from memory, the depot for that is in the service Station just after you turn left into Sukhumvit from Pattaya Klang, right next to the overhead footbridge.

It goes up Highway 331 / 304 to Korat then heads to Udon Thani from there.

Bam Bam

Hi, is that the quickest way from Pattaya to Udon Thani ? OR, would it be better taxi to BKK and get flight ? Thanks for any advice, i hope to go there my next trip. GoldenSmile1.gif

Hi, is that the quickest way from Pattaya to Udon Thani ? OR, would it be better taxi to BKK and get flight ? Thanks for any advice, i hope to go there my next trip. GoldenSmile1.gif

My wifes father died in January, prior to that he had been staying with us in Pattaya, getting worse by the day, he had cancer, I didn't have the time to drive them home to Nong Bhu Lam Phu nor did I want to put him thru the long car trip or bus trip, so I paid for some very expensive, next day, one way flights, 7,000 odd baht but I digress.

I drove them to the airport, all in all, from home in Pattaya to being on the ground in Udon Thani about 3 1/2 hrs, bus will take you a whole lot longer than that.

Bam Bam

That which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger

My wifes father died in January, prior to that he had been staying with us in Pattaya, getting worse by the day, he had cancer, I didn't have the time to drive them home to Nong Bhu Lam Phu nor did I want to put him thru the long car trip or bus trip, so I paid for some very expensive, next day, one way flights, 7,000 odd baht but I digress.

I drove them to the airport, all in all, from home in Pattaya to being on the ground in Udon Thani about 3 1/2 hrs, bus will take you a whole lot longer than that.

Bam Bam

Thanks for the info mate, sorry to hear of you're loss .......

It was as far as I remember but it's probably been nearly twenty years since I caught a bus there from Bangkok, I usually just hire a car and drive myself these days.

Hi-So ! I dont have a drivers licence :( I do have a boat Licence though. Which wont help much 55555

Hi-So ! I dont have a drivers licence :( I do have a boat Licence though. Which wont help much 55555

In that case I'd suggest up the Meekhong delta then all the way to Nong Khai!

Thanks for the info. I have done a lot of travelling out of mo chit previously. really looking to see if i can travel from pattaya to Isaan direct - rather than go via mo chit, which will add a few hours onto the journey.

Most of the buses from Pattaya to Issan do not go via Bangkok.

Depending on where in Issan you want to go there are three bus stations that I know of in Pattaya that go to various destinations in Issan they are all on Sukhumvit Road not to be confused with the one on Pattaya Nua where you would get the bus to Morchit or Ekamai in Bangkok.

To find them go to the top of Pattaya Klang turn left onto Sukhumvit 100-200 yards on the left there is a petrol station the bus station is in the forecourt on the left hand side this one is for buses to Korat, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Nong Khai.

Last time I went to Udon Thani on the bus was about 9 months ago and cost either 495 or 505 baht not quite sure but I do remember but it was one of the two.

Turn right on Sukhumvit and after about 300 yards on the left you will find the Nakhon Chai Air bus station this is where you will get the bus to Burriram Surin and Chaing Mai. There are also buses that leave from Third Road that go to Burriram and Surin but I would recomend the Nakhon Chai Air one more direct with less stops and better buses. I would recommend the Gold service bus failing that the Silver.

Opposite the Nakhon Chai Air bus station on the other side of Sukhumvit Road there is another bus station that goes to other parts of Issan not sure exactly where as I havn't used it but possibly Chaiyaphum etc.

All these three bus stations are within easy walking distance if you were to get a baht bus to the top of Pattaya Klang and they all have the destinations and timetables up in English so very easy to understand and a cheap way to travel.

Thailand has a very good bus network and is a good inexpensive way to get around personally I prefer the train (usually even cheaper than the bus) the buses are usually quicker.

Al.

Most of the buses from Pattaya to Issan do not go via Bangkok.

Depending on where in Issan you want to go there are three bus stations that I know of in Pattaya that go to various destinations in Issan they are all on Sukhumvit Road not to be confused with the one on Pattaya Nua where you would get the bus to Morchit or Ekamai in Bangkok.

To find them go to the top of Pattaya Klang turn left onto Sukhumvit 100-200 yards on the left there is a petrol station the bus station is in the forecourt on the left hand side this one is for buses to Korat, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Nong Khai.

Last time I went to Udon Thani on the bus was about 9 months ago and cost either 495 or 505 baht not quite sure but I do remember but it was one of the two.

Turn right on Sukhumvit and after about 300 yards on the left you will find the Nakhon Chai Air bus station this is where you will get the bus to Burriram Surin and Chaing Mai. There are also buses that leave from Third Road that go to Burriram and Surin but I would recomend the Nakhon Chai Air one more direct with less stops and better buses. I would recommend the Gold service bus failing that the Silver.

Opposite the Nakhon Chai Air bus station on the other side of Sukhumvit Road there is another bus station that goes to other parts of Issan not sure exactly where as I havn't used it but possibly Chaiyaphum etc.

All these three bus stations are within easy walking distance if you were to get a baht bus to the top of Pattaya Klang and they all have the destinations and timetables up in English so very easy to understand and a cheap way to travel.

Thailand has a very good bus network and is a good inexpensive way to get around personally I prefer the train (usually even cheaper than the bus) the buses are usually quicker.

Al.

Thanks a lot for that detailed response. Top geezer.

:Circle_Sharks:

• 1 year later...

I often use and can recommend the overnight VIP/aircon NakhonChaiAir services from here, to Chiang Mai, 8-9 daily but only one (low-class & slow) does it in daytime,they also run to Chiang Rai & Mae Sai (for Tachilek & the border) perhaps 5-per-day.

They also have services from Pattaya (actually starts in Rayong & via Sattahip) to Ubon.

Unfortunately their website www.nca.co.th is only in Thai, but the 4th button does have their schedules (in Thai).

Further recommend Nakonchaiair services......

Certainly it runs to Nakon Ratchasimi (Khorat-it took me 9 years after first arrival in Thailand to find it on the map, until I asked where the hell is it-no idea that it was an abbreviation !!) on the Silver Service.

It may run the VIP service but not sure but business style seats with attendant, in flight attendant attire.

I think its 475 baht from Pattaya but check.

tried different ways but flying is now a lot more expensive than it was also only cheaptickets you need t ravel with only 5 kilo hand luggage and pay booking fee ,tzvel to old airport for most flights and check in 1 hour before so a 1 hour flight takes about 4 hours time at least plus your time to destination it can be more fun to break a long jouney into half staying 1 night somewhere , your total costs for travel food & hotel will be chezper than any but the special 99 baht flight offers

NCA buses run Bkk-Korat- Khon Kaen they have 3 classes of service 1st/gold & silver but they do not go to Udon Thani. Chan tours run air/con VIP buses from Patts.-Korat-Khon Kaen-Udon Thani & I believe they carry on to Non Khai

• 4 weeks later...

Nakhon-Chai are an excellent bus service many girls in Pattaya have loyalty type cards which will give you 10 to 20 % off standard prices ,saves a lot if you take a girl with you. Overnigh train aircon is over a thousand baht to Udon , Ubon or Chaing Mai