Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

ATM charges

noel2711

(I do hope I've chosen the correct forum here.)

I have found today that what I thought was the last bastion for no commission ATM transactions on withdrawals from foreign banks has fallen into line with the other Thai banks. Given the limit for withdrawals the 150 Bht charge represents over 1% on each transaction. Does anyone know of a Thai bank that does not make such outrageously high charges?

I have found today that what I thought was the last bastion for no commission ATM transactions on withdrawals from foreign banks has fallen into line with the other Thai banks. Given the limit for withdrawals the 150 Bht charge represents over 1% on each transaction. Does anyone know of a Thai bank that does not make such outrageously high charges?

I think it's on somewhere else but hey who's watching ? I honestly thought that all Thai banks were charging 150 bt when using foreign ATM cards,I must have been wrong.

What I did hear was that if you have a foreign visa/mastercard debit card you can take your card and passport to an exchange and you don't get charged the 150 bt.I know that was true for a credit card but now I'm told a debit card is the same.Might be worth checking it out.

Yes the bad news is the Yellow bank is now charging 150 Bht.After having a run of many months ,this is very sad!!

I used mine today and no charges, where was the atm machine you tried?

I think it's on somewhere else but hey who's watching ? I honestly thought that all Thai banks were charging 150 bt when using foreign ATM cards,I must have been wrong.

What I did hear was that if you have a foreign visa/mastercard debit card you can take your card and passport to an exchange and you don't get charged the 150 bt.I know that was true for a credit card but now I'm told a debit card is the same.Might be worth checking it out.

It was, as others have suggested, the yellow bank. I used the ATM at Third Rd just North of Pattaya Klang. Many thanks to all for the advise. I shall try taking passport and debit card to exchange booth and see what happens. This extra tariff on top of the poor sterling rate is getting to be annoying to say the least!

The ATM was at Third Rd just N of Klang. I assume all Ayudyah ATMs will be the same, it was the only bank I know of that didn't charge a commission, id does now! (or so it would seem)

Ayudhia (yellow bank)at Third Rd/ Klang junction. It was late afternoon so i can only assume they implemented the charge some time today. Fascists! (Mind you, all the rest have been doing it for months- still no excuse!)

• 3 weeks later...

Standard Chartered Bank in Bangkok is the only one I've found that has no charges. They are not a Thai bank. I do not know if they stick it to you with a crappy exchange rate of not.

People are not happy with this but what can one do? The extra charge will in many cases build up to quite a few additional k on a yearly basis.

sinclair1969: a fuckin' degenerate gambler.

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

Unfortunately I'm not aware of a branch of Standard Chartered anywhere near me. What I have found is that for those of us Brits who have a Nationwide account with a visa card it is easily the best way of keeping your money in your pocket. Instead of using cash (ATMs), wherever possible use your visa card at retail outlets. Decent exchange rate and no commission. For those that hold other major UK bank cards I'm afraid the news is not so good.

Aeon ATMs do not charge.

You may also avoid the charge by going into the bank with your debit card and passport.

Thanks for the info. I believe there may be an Aeon ATM at Tesco Lotus, N Pattaya. I'll give it a try.

Aeon ATMs do not charge.

You may also avoid the charge by going into the bank with your debit card and passport.

Will this work with all foreign cards, or just Thai cards? It seems to be the best way to avoid the fee.

Will this work with all foreign cards, or just Thai cards? It seems to be the best way to avoid the fee.

As far as I know it works for all foreign debit cards. Don't forget your own bank will most likely make some kind of charge, either explicitly or by using an unfavourable exchange rate.

Thanks for the info. I believe there may be an Aeon ATM at Tesco Lotus, N Pattaya. I'll give it a try.

Ditto on the Aeon ATM's. I have not tried any in Pattaya, but I have hit 4 different Aeon's in BKK and none of them charge the 150 baht and exchange rate is decent.

Here is a link to Aeon locations in Thailand:

http://www.aeonthailand.com/lang/en/menu/Service_Location/region/Bangkok#soutput

Edited by khagai

Many thanks, Khagai. It would appear that Aeon have ATMs in Tesco Lotus (South Pattaya), Carrefour (Central) and Homeworks (South).

Yet another rip off. Have to say I have gone back to travlellers chques. mainly because UK bansk's to good at blocking card even when you have told them you are off to Thailand.

Loving it on Soi 6