IGNORED

How I have been learning Thai.

LaaMok

To anyone that wants to start reading thai I cannot tell how easy it is compared to how it looks

From 0 knowledge (reading/writing, I could speak Thai okish) , I started here - http://www.learningthai.com/readthai_01.html

Then going through this - http://www.learningthai.com/books/manee/index.html

I started there a couple days ago, probably put in about 6 hours of lessons and I've gone from knowing nothing to be able to spell quite a few words and understand quite a few constantants, sentance construction and vowels.

Not sure if that is good progress or not, feels really good now to just have even the most basic grasp, I just have to get out the pollution of Roman characters from my brain now.

Thanks to the people that say 'if you want to get better at thai start reading' as I feel i'm not learning new words everywhere where there is Thai script.

My next step is to pick up some children books... Bryan do they have any pictures for me to colour in? I used to love that.

Edited by herds

Am studing abit on my spare time just the words am going to use when there. Like Ron mac mac !!!!!!!!

Like Bryan said it really helps to learn to read Thai. That way you can look up a word and know exactly which vowel and the sound, weather it is a long or short vowel and the proper tone.

Cd's are good to practice your listening skills. hardest part is looking words up in the dictionary does not always tell you which is traditional language and which is vernacular. Also other than the "Speak Thai like a Thai" series there is not really any other books that teach how thais really speak. My biggest problem is lack of memory, probably a case of too many beers!555

Ah yes, if I had a good memory, I would be speaking fluent Thai and Laos by now. As it is, I can learn a word and then be totally unable to recall either the word or what it means a mere 5 minutes later.

I can read the Thai script albeit at a painfully slow pace.

Alan