IGNORED

Exempt 30 day or get Visa

Paddy Od

Trying to understand the visa maze. Goal is a trip of 7 to 8 weeks flying in and out of BKK. Most of my time will be in Pattaya, but I also want to hop over to the Philippines for a week or so, plus see Angkor Wat and a bit more of Thailand.

Should I get a 60/90 day multiple entry visa or just come in on a 30 day exempt stamp. Then when I fly to PI, on return will I get a new 30 day stamp. Does it work that way?

I live less than 2 hours from the Los Angeles Thai Consulate office. If getting the Visa is the way to go, am I better off going to the consulate in person? Or am I better off coming in on the visa exempt stamp and taking care of the visa in Pattaya?

If I'm going to visit LOS a couple of times a year, sould I be looking at a different type of visa?

All so confusing, especially coming from a country that makes little effort to enforce it's immigration laws.

Thanks in advance,

P

If I was you I would just go to the Thai Consulate/embassy in L.A and apply for a tourist visa.

Should be free of charge at the moment. Since you don't really know exactly what you will be doing

when you are in LOS and how many times you will leave and re-enter...just get a multiple entry tourist visa.

I believe you can get the triple entry 60 days 3x60 days in the states.

Just tell them at the embassy what your plans are and they will help you.

You can not get a visa in Pattaya or Thailand, only outside the Thai borders will you be able to apply for a visa.

You can get visa extensions in a local immigration office but no visa.

Take care.

If you are definitely staying for a maximum of 8 weeks, with a 1 week stint in Phills sandwiched in the middle, then just go with the 30 day stamp. If you re-enter Thailand by air you will automatically receive another 30 day stamp.

If your plans aren't that concrete, if you might spend more than 30 days in Thailand at a time, then you should apply for a 60 day tourist visa. They are free ATM but some consulates charge an 'admin fee'. Apply to your countries embassy & you will get the visa free. You can apply by post & the turnaround is about 2 days. Remember to apply for a double entry as well, as you will be leaving the country.

Forget about multiple entry visas. They are for work / retirement etc & involve a horrendous amount of paperwork. :)

Peace. :GoldenSmile1:

sgu_banner.gif

All so confusing, especially coming from a country that makes little effort to enforce it's immigration laws.

Coffee.gif

sgu_banner.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply's, think I'll go for the exempt