IGNORED

one month of thai lessons

cairns8

I am in pattaya for a month in june and would like to do some thai language lessons.Maybe two days a week,2hours a day for the four weeks.Any recommendations.

That sounds like a fun idea. I too would like to take some lessons. Perhaps you can look up one of the local Universities. I look forward to seeing the responses in the thread.

For now, you can use this link http://www.thai-language.com/ - I found it a while ago through pattaya-addicts forum.

I wish I had more information to offer.

Good Luck

Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, Or who said it, Even if I have said it, Unless it agrees with your own reason, And your own common sense.--"Buddha"

Just started with Britannia (Soi 6/1, opposite Tropical Berts). 7 thousand baht for 20 hours and you can work out your schedule with them. Pretty flexible about where you start too. I only wanted to brush up my reading and writing skills, not start from scratch, and it was no problem at all.

thanks doggie,are they private lessons or class,how many hours do you recommend per day??

thanks doggie,are they private lessons or class,how many hours do you recommend per day??

One on one. I'm doing 2 hours a day which is not a heavy load, but like I said, I'm not starting from scratch and it's pretty easy so far. 9 to 11 am suits me well as the missus starts work at 9 so we both get moving at the same time in the morning, and then I have the rest of the day free.

I have taken 60 hours of lessons. My recommendation is 1 hour every other day or everyday (if you have a good memory). Of course this depends on your learning ability. I have found out that if my teacher gives me 2 hours i do not have enough free time to memorize the vocabulary. Lets say your teacher goes over 15 words in a one hour lesson. Can you remember them in one day? This way you have a full day in between to digest the work.

I have taken 60 hours of lessons. My recommendation is 1 hour every other day or everyday (if you have a good memory). Of course this depends on your learning ability. I have found out that if my teacher gives me 2 hours i do not have enough free time to memorize the vocabulary. Lets say your teacher goes over 15 words in a one hour lesson. Can you remember them in one day? This way you have a full day in between to digest the work.

Did you also take your lessons at Britannia? Or did you get them elsewhere?

Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, Or who said it, Even if I have said it, Unless it agrees with your own reason, And your own common sense.--"Buddha"

I am currently on the 5 week course with AUA at the Bazaar by the Dolphin Roundabout.

Cost is 5,200 Baht including the work book 40 hours 4 days a week so 2 hours a day 9am-11am usually 6 per class but sometimes we get a few more in.

The teacher JC is a very experienced teacher and really wants you to learn she isn't there just to pick up her pay.

Once this course finishes I will do Speaking 2 course and the writing although my GF is already teaching me the Alphabet and other words.

The Thai alphabet is a piss of piss to learn, don't let it scare you off, you got to remember the sounds associated with 70-odd characters and bingo you can read (well sort of) the beauty of learning to read Thai alphabet (as oppossed to reading phonetics or romanised words) is the sounds are constant in Thai and don't change, so you will always pronounce correctly. Once you can read Thai you can save yourself a lot of dosh, you can read the prices and menus and know what to pay. The sneaky buggers often use the Thai numeral system, so that's a good starting point to learn the numbers.

I just signed up for 60hrs@14 400bht. This is at Prince of Wales International Academy located on 3rd rd opposite Buffalo bar

This is one on one and the teacher will start you off with the Thai alphabet and vowels straight away if you want to read and write also (highly recommended)

You do your classes in 2hr blocks, so you can complete maybe 8-10hrs per week. Also the beauty at this school is if you have to go back home and/or go on holidays somewhere else, you can continue where you left off, there is no expiry date on the hrs

I would recommend learning the thai alphabet from scratch as you will be able to read and pronounce the sounds and tones properly