IGNORED

Ambassador Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 11

Cerberus

Small old rooms in a hotel with terrible food and poor service. It puts on airs of being a finer hotel, but that is nothing more than a show.

We stayed at the Ambassador hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 11 in Bangkok. The reason being that it was convenient to where and what we needed to be/do and for no other reason than that. There are no pictures as it was not worth the time and effort to take them

You walk into an enormous front lobby getting the feeling that it is a very nice hotel. The minute you approach the reception you realise your mistake. Reception staff are not only not friendly, they are bordering on rude.

Our rooms at 2,000 Baht per room per night, were in the main wing. The carpet is worn and the ceiling is extremely low, under 7 foot.

The rooms themselves are small, with a King sized bed, small fridge, safe and two chairs. The bathrooms are granite and tile, and as I walked into it I brushed the toilet seat which fell off onto the floor. You could not help brushing against it as the BR was that small, there were no bolts or attachments the seat had merely been balanced on the toilet rim. There is an independently controlled air condition unit that couldn't cool the room as it was pumping warm air. (found this out at 4am when getting back).

The rooms come with free buffet breakfast that was quite possibly the worst hotel breakfast that I've ever been offered, I say offered as I most certainly was not going to eat it!

It seems the hotels customer base is Indians and Arabs, as those were the vast majority of guests I saw. Their restaurant also advertises Halal foods and the breakfast buffet has an Indian section.

There is a disco in the garage of the hotel, named Climax it features a live Thai/Philippine band although nothing special they had good energy and had the crowd going. It was however wall to wall freelancers of all ages, shapes and sized. There is a ฿200 entry fee, plus hand stamp that includes your first drink. The staff here are extremely pushy for drinks, repeatedly asking you to order even though you have a 3/4 full drink already in your hand. Go for the freelancers, not for the music or the service.

So would I recommend this hotel? Not in this lifetime :) We left the hotel with throat problems the next morning. Since our return we have both gone down with some respiratory infection, with loads of mucus, a hacking cough and short of breath. This place was a true dump and I have no idea what diseases are lurking in the air ducts but feel sure we got one of them. The breakfast was not edible, unless you wanted additional health problem that the A/C had failed to give you.

Yup I have to concur with you on this one, Ambassadeur has gone downhill for many years now.

I stayed there 2001 in the tower and it was all peaches but when I returned 2008 it was a totally changed hotel!

Dirty, smelly and worned out - but the Club Sandwich was excellent!

Johnny Wilde

CEO - Heavydrinking Hardcore Mongers Union of Pattaya

"You only pass through this life once, you never come back for encores!" - Elvis Presley

"You guys took "normal mongering" and shot it full of nitroglycerin and then set a match to it" - thumper63

Thanks for the warning Ceberus. I was very close to booking this place, until I read your review. You've saved me a lot of hassle.

:Clap8:

• 1 year later...

On top of it: the answer I got to my question today:

Dear Mr. XXX,

Please be informed the joiner fee is Baht 1,000 per night.

Best regards

Try City Lodge Soi 9. Right near soi 11 and on Sukhumvit. Small hotel but quiet and reasonably priced. Ive been using this one and their partner hotel on Soi 19 for many decades.

Its part of the Amari Chain. When walking past its hardly noticed from the front.

http://www.oamhotels.com/citylodge9/

Edited by SlickMonkey

I personally like the Baiyoke sky hotel it is great for the price but a little way out from nana. The Royal ivory nana and ibis nana on soi4 nana are both ok for the price about 1300 bhat including breakfast no joiner fees and good staff.

Grand Business Inn right on the corner of Soi 11..free breakfast in the restaurant which is open 24 hours, close to the action. Stayed here many times...and also the Ambassador years ago but would not touch it now.

Mate could not agree more re the hotel it is a shithole. Next time in that area I would recommened the President Palace, new hotel great service, good breakfast & only about 100 m further up Soi 11. Similar price range.

stayed at the ambassador on my first trip as a newbie and all I can say. that place is a dump.

Edited by Jim Bob