IGNORED

My Simple Thai Language Site

PBert

Long time listener first time contributor (thanks to the person with the simple "Troll" reply :Chokdee:

And although I say first time contribute, this is actually a request for some feedback / ideas on my first web site. I've posted in the language forum as the initial idea behind the site was for me and my girl friend to create a simple site that would help people with the Thai language and for us to learn if it was possible to make money from the net. Still a work in progress but growing and improving slowly, it took us ages to work out how to get the audio onto the language section.

Anyway, I hope it is actually useful to you, particularly for pronunciation and tone.

Cheers,

pbert

this is actually a request for some feedback / ideas on my first web site

Although it's obvious to you, some people won't understand about "ka" and "krap"; it's better to have male and female versions if possible.

Unnaturally slow. If you want your students to sound normal, you should at least have the option of normal speed.

The alphabet looks good so far, with still a long way to go. You might want to look at the way Becker introduces the characters in Thai for Beginners. It makes more sense than the order you are using, IMO.

Change the light grey font please its hard to read for us old fogeys :Chokdee:

Grey looks nice but for a teaching website its vital you make it EASY to read and worry about aesthetics later.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

You guys are really the first to see my site, very nice to get some real feedback and positive as well, thanks heaps.

LeoSmith - Good point, I was thinking about speaking the male versions myself however didn't think it would be all that authentic with the Aussie accent. I may ask my gf's brother to record some audio clips. Long way to go with the language and the travel writing that I'm new to also. I'm still finding grammar and spelling mistakes.

Introducing the alphabet in alphabetical order at the moment, I'm not a fan of Becker's 'Thai for Beginners' but I do like the way that Sweetland breaks up the alphabet in 'Thai Reading for Speaking' Anyone else have thoughts on how the alphabet should be introduced?

whitespider - Font is the default in my website software, I'll take your suggestion on board - cheers.

Zilly, Website should appear as a link in my signature.

Introducing the alphabet in alphabetical order at the moment

The advantage of doing it your way is that the learner will have alphabetical order well memorized, which is key to using a paper dictionary. The advantage of Becker's way is that the learner will have the classes well memorized, which is key to correct tones. Even if I was a big paper dictionary user, I would still much prefer having the class cemented in my memory form the beginning, but suit yourself.

Link is in OPs signature.

Hi

The url is http://www.thai-city.com/

Cheers

H888

Zilly, Website should appear as a link in my signature.

thanks all, I'll have a look

thanks all, I'll have a look

Cool, let me know what you think. I haven't done any work on it for about a week due to work commitments but hope to get a few more things up soon.

Hi PBert, I have just had a look at your site. I have to say, so far I am impressed in what you have achieved there. But there are a few things that need to be changed, like said before, it is slow and should give the option to hear it at normal speed, as we do not talk like that in real life.

I have also noticed that some of the alphabet do not work and the spelling you have got of the words are incorrect. I know you say that there are many ways to spell them, but if you want the site to progress and be well known, then the transliteration that you use is important.

Your target market is people who are new to learning Thai, therefore you want to use transliteration that they will see in other books, so you need to look at the ones that are widely used and stick to their English spelling of the words. One really bad example that I can put here is Tor taan (base). You have got it on the site as tho san-than, even though clicking on the speech it clearly says tor taan.

However, as I have said, having a quick look through it, it is a good site and I hope that it works out well for you.

BTW, on your start page, you have got Puket, not Phuket and you use And as a start of a sentence, which is not really gramatically correct, but I am still impressed with what you have done there.