IGNORED

Google and Bootleg Rosetta Stone

Shivers

I've got two questions...

1) When I was in Iraq I remember an internet site that translated English to Arabic (and vice versa) for free. You just copy and paste the English words, hit a button, and it gives you the Arabic equivalent. Unfortunately, I don't remember the website, but I seem to recall it had something to do with Google. Anyone heard of this?

2) I purchased a bootleg copy of Rosetta Stone here in Afghanistan. The problem is it didn't come with a book...just has the computer exercises. I did the first lesson, which consisted of 4 pictures and a woman's voice speaking Thai...you then had to pick out the picture that corresponded with what the woman said. Obviously in the beginning I was guessing, but as the lesson continued, I was able to pick out the difference between boy/girl, man/woman, horse/elephant, car/plane, etc. Is it going to be possible to learn Thai with the R.S. book? Anyone try this? Unfortunately, I only have Level 1...the thing came with 30 languages, and most of the other languages have Levels 1 and 2.

Thanks for that Google link...will really come in handy!

I'll give the R.S. thing a try...maybe I'll luck up and learn something...but I'll also check out LiveMocha.

Origen I like the thai translate link. That will come in very handy.

Cheers Big C

I signed up on LiveMocha, but they don't have any classes available for Thai. :-( Guess it's back to R.S.

I signed up on LiveMocha, but they don't have any classes available for Thai. :-( Guess it's back to R.S.

Darn they don't have thai after all, sorry bro. Good luck with learning!

Origen I like the thai translate link. That will come in very handy.

Cheers Big C

No prob!

Yeah I was disappointed with livemocha as well, it looks like they offer thai until you register and discover they don't.

And how did you find a rosetta stone with 30 languages I would love to find that........

And yes I understand it is a bootleg.

Edited by Poloman

Yeah I was disappointed with livemocha as well, it looks like they offer thai until you register and discover they don't.

And how did you find a rosetta stone with 30 languages I would love to find that........

And yes I understand it is a bootleg.

Got it in Afghanistan...$30 USD.

livemocha is pretty good I find if you want to do a language exchange plenty of thais wanting to learn english, but i've not tried anything else.

ok i've got something for you guys! i just downloaded an ebook(pdf) w/ audio(mp3) called "Thai for Beginners" send me a message and i'll give you the download link since i think posting such links are against the terms of service on the forum.

I have found this site very useful. I now can speak and understand a fair amount of Thai after 6 months they have new lessons everyday on Various Subjects:

langHub

Cheers

pabannerscaled.jpg

Never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can sleep.

(Murphy's Law Of Combat)

1) When I was in Iraq I remember an internet site that translated English to Arabic (and vice versa) for free. You just copy and paste the English words, hit a button, and it gives you the Arabic equivalent. Unfortunately, I don't remember the website, but I seem to recall it had something to do with Google. Anyone heard of this?

http://translate.google.com/

If you need an offline solution for the Thai language, also check out Lexitron. (Google for it)

2) I purchased a bootleg copy of Rosetta Stone here in Afghanistan. The problem is it didn't come with a book...just has the computer exercises. I did the first lesson, which consisted of 4 pictures and a woman's voice speaking Thai...you then had to pick out the picture that corresponded with what the woman said. Obviously in the beginning I was guessing, but as the lesson continued, I was able to pick out the difference between boy/girl, man/woman, horse/elephant, car/plane, etc. Is it going to be possible to learn Thai with the R.S. book? Anyone try this? Unfortunately, I only have Level 1...the thing came with 30 languages, and most of the other languages have Levels 1 and 2.

I don't want to support piracy, but I can tell you that the book that comes with Rosetta Stone Thai is just a list (in Thai only -- no English or transliteration) of the phrases from the computer lessons. There are no exercises or additional materials. Also, Rosetta Stone Thai only has level 1. Frankly, I didn't find it all that useful in learning Thai, other than for vocabulary-building. If you have access to it, you might try looking for the Pimsleur language CD's. They were much better for learning grammar and basic conversational Thai.

• 2 months later...

ok i've got something for you guys! i just downloaded an ebook(pdf) w/ audio(mp3) called "Thai for Beginners" send me a message and i'll give you the download link since i think posting such links are against the terms of service on the forum.

This is the site that use when i'm trying to talk to a Thai that is having a problem understanding me. Use the dictionary tab to find the work in Thai and in most cases say it for you. It has a lot of useful bits on the site.

http://www.thai-language.com/default.aspx

• 11 months later...

I use Rosetta Stone in order to improve the speaking and hearing comprehension. But you need other tools in order to improve other part of the language (writing and reading).

I'm gonna try the Thai level 1 in Rosetta stone, I'll give you my advice after.

Avoid Pain, Be Free, Have Fun.