she agreed with you mike on not expecting things from others

imo humble or modest seems to fit but she disagrees with it being humble

i came up with modesty but she doesnt acknowledge it

i found a definition based on the second spelling

at

http://www.thaizer.com/culture-shock/kreng-jai/

Edited by ritch

Hello my friend

I think your TG is saying ''Greng Jai'' (เกรงใจ in thai script) ... it means CONSIDERATE

well done my friend she likes you ..

ah right cool

not something i'd heard before

or been able to pick out

Edited by ritch

greng jai

This is a very Thai concept that will not translate to any single English word. It can be used to convey a sense of indebtedness and not wanting to impose any more. Thais will also use it in the sense of feeling the need to repay a favour. It can also be used in a sense of being fearful of causing offence or annoyance.

From this site:

http://www.knowphuket.com/thai_language/L27_jai-heart-words.htm

'Jai' is possibly the most common word in Thai. It is used to convey emotion or characteristics of a person.

You would increase your knowledge of Thai language considerably if you choose to learn them all!

Peace. :D

sgu_banner.gif

• 3 months later...

In google you can find many of free online professional language translator who can translate language perfectly. So you have many option to select that service. So you can translate that language to use with that translator service.

like considerate, for example:

You tell a thai person you can only speak a little bit of thai and they go off speaking at 100mph using slang etc... they are not being considerate to you... they are not greng-jai-ing you. So you could say เขาไม่เกรงใจผมเลย - kow mai greng-jai pom leury - he is not considerate to me

• 2 weeks later...

It means "care for someones feeling but not to ask a personal question"

eg:

Greeng jay may^ glaa^ taamV - เกรงใจไม่กล้าถาม - not dare to ask (personal question)

or asking about someones dad who has died

Pua_n^ baang^ kon greeng jay pomV, kaw/ may^ glaa^ taamV rua_ng^ poo_^ - เพื่อนบ้างคนเกรงใจผม, เขาไม่กล้าถามเรื่องพ่อ - some of my friends not dare to ask about my dad

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

In google you can find many of free online professional language translator who can translate language perfectly. So you have many option to select that service. So you can translate that language to use with that translator service.

Sorry but google translate is probably the worst tool for constructing sentences in Thai. Only useful for very simple sentences or just single word translations.

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

Just to add to the good explanation El Cata has given, and what else has been written.

The word grehng = fear, and jy = hearted. It's meaning has little to do with fear other than the fear of unintentionally upsetting someone. The English translation for grehng jy = to be considerate or to have deference for someone. It's all to do with having consideration of other peoples feelings and being mindful of how ones actions impact on others. As such, it is a central Thai value and arguably the most important value in their daily social interactions. The key aspect for the farang is that the principle of grehg jy dictates the avoidance of direct criticism, challange or confrontation, all things I'm spectacularly bad at it must be said! Ritch: if your girlfriend is saying grehng jy to you, it's either because you have it in bundles or that you're sadly lacking in it. I trust it's the former sentiment!

Good books that cover Thai values are Thailand Fever, The Bua Luang What You See Is What You Say Thai Phrase handbook, (which as a language and culture guide is most probably the best I have come accross; not sure why it's become invisible in book shops and internet these days), and books like Speak Thai/ Speak Isaan Thai.

• 2 weeks later...

As per my review for better solution for language translation you can use language translation you can always use online language translator services. They can easily translate your language to all another language and also you can get many benefit from them.

As per my review for better solution for language translation you can use language translation you can always use online language translator services. They can easily translate your language to all another language and also you can get many benefit from them.

If the quality of the English in your three spam posts to-date is an indication of the quality of your translation services, I'm guessing no-one in the English speaking world is interested in what your selling; I doubt the above is much better (and possibly much worse) than what google translate would do from your native language to English.

Edited by el_jefe