Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Thai Alphabet and Vowels

Ajay75

I've been reading Thai to a reasonable level now for a few months. My written Thai is still very poor but to be honest I'm not too worried about it for now as I can still write but it takes me a little while to compose sentences. Anyway I thought I would post up a couple of spreadsheets that I made which helped me learn the alphabet and the various vowels which are used within Thai written script.

I hope this helps some of you guys and please ask if you have any questions about the spreadsheets especiallly with the pronounciation.

Alphabet.xls

Vowels.xls

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

Sorry for the TF but do you need a special add-on for Excel in order for it to display Thai script? The reason I ask is that I saved my telephone text messages (many of them in Thai script) as an .xls file but the Thai messages just read as random characters, just like if you reveive a text message in Thai on a phone that isn't equiped to receive them.

OS-Windows 7 ultimate, Office 2007 Corp. Edition.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Sorry for the TF but do you need a special add-on for Excel in order for it to display Thai script? The reason I ask is that I saved my telephone text messages (many of them in Thai script) as an .xls file but the Thai messages just read as random characters, just like if you reveive a text message in Thai on a phone that isn't equiped to receive them.

OS-Windows 7 ultimate, Office 2007 Corp. Edition.

Windows 7 ultimate is supposed to be able to have multilingual support including Thai.

Possibly you need to install a language pack from windows update.

Then enable Thai support via the control panel -> region and language section.

Don't use Win 7 but Win XP with the language pack displays Thai script fine.

Windows 7 ultimate is supposed to be able to have multilingual support including Thai.

Thanks, I do have Thai language support from Windows 7, it's just Excel that seems to be the problem. It might be that the issue lies with the Nokia software that I have to use to create the xls files from the text messages on my mobile? I can read the Thai script from the Nokia software but not when it's expoted and opened in Excel.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Thanks, I do have Thai language support from Windows 7, it's just Excel that seems to be the problem. It might be that the issue lies with the Nokia software that I have to use to create the xls files from the text messages on my mobile? I can read the Thai script from the Nokia software but not when it's expoted and opened in Excel.

If you can see the Thai characters in the attachments in this post it is unlikely to be an Excel problem, likely then the format the Nokia software exports too.

Thanks for that Ajay

I been going to school for a while now,I can converse little and read with the alphabet next to me, but do not seem to be able to remember the letters without the paper.

Your system looks easy to follow and possibly i will manage to memorize it.

Thanks again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psvL2eYQ7YM&feature=related

There are three sides to every argument: your side, my side and the right side.

Thank God I'm an atheist.

Thanks for that Ajay

I been going to school for a while now,I can converse little and read with the alphabet next to me, but do not seem to be able to remember the letters without the paper.

Your system looks easy to follow and possibly i will manage to memorize it.

Thanks again

No problem and I found it quite easy once I had got to grips with memorising the alphabet using these templates.

Just for reference to help with tones when I write phoenetic Thai:

/ = High

\ = Low

V = Rising

^ = Falling

The hardest part about writing is unless you have seen a word written down it can be difficult to know how its supposed to be written (apart from obvious simple words of course). Writing is sort of taking a back seat for me at the moment as I can see its use being pretty limited whereas reading is going to be the main advantage.

Apologies to those people who may have had formatting problems. I used a Thai keyboard at this site to write the Thai and just copied the text into Word 2000 and it worked straight away. Heres the keyboard that I used:

Thai keyboard

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

If you can read this useless post, you are not learning Thai. It is wrote in english as I am just trying to get my post count up to 50. However. I can speak and write pin yin in Chinese. Ni Hao. Wo Hui Shou yidianr han yu.

Windows 7 Ultimate does support 36 different language via the optional language pack updates. My wife is Chinese and she has Simplified and Traditional on there. IME works great to.