Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Retirment Visa?

RibaldRay

Hi All,

I am about ready (mid 60s) to quit this foolishness of working and really retire. I have been sort of retired for many years but just keep falling back into the work thing. I'd like the housing market to pick up some, but I am not going to wait forever. It is highly doubtful that I would ever get married again so Thai Citizenship is not an issue.

I am thinking of getting a Retirement Visa. The deposit is very manageable and I will have an OK budget to live on. I have read some threads on retiring in Thailand and I am confident all will be OK from that side. I spent a great deal of my work life in Asia so no great shocks there and I love the region anyway.

So, the question is, is the Retirement Visa the best option? It looks like I would have to report my address to the Immigration Police every 90 days. Must that done in person or is mailing a letter OK?

Is there anyone on this forum living on the Retirement Visa?

Any problems or issues I should be aware of?

Better Visa alternatives?

Thanks for any and all thoughts on this issue.

Hi All,

^

I am on "Retirement Visa" based on a 65000 ThB income since 4 years, no problem, of course you need to report every 90 days to The Chonburi Immigration in Jomtien Soi 5, but that's a minor harm and you can send somebody or doing it by post I believe.

The reporting every 90 days is easy, it only takes a few minutes so it's no great hardship to do it in person. I would recommend the retirement visa the only thing that annoys me a bit is that I have to get another visa, and pay 1,000 baht, to leave/re-enter thailand.

As you have just retired you may want to see a bit of SEA and the budget airlines are ideal for this. If this is the case, You may be better off with a twelve month multiple entry O level visa, which you can get from your home country before you leave. You only need to show that you have sufficient assets that you will not be working in thailand to get one. You have to leave the country every 90 days, but this is not a hassle if you want to do a bit of travelling. You dont have to put money in a thai bank or comply with a miriad of requirements, which may change at any time. You also have the flexibility to change your mind and stay in other countries for a while, before you make a final decision on where to live. Think about it. I have had four multiple entry visas insix years now.

Edited by biggles

In simple terms its 65k a month (certifiable) or 800,000 in the bank.

As people have said there are other options but if this criteria can be met then its probably the most hassle free way.

Yes you report every 90 days and you renew every 12 months.

Just to be clear (for others not the OP) the alternative is Spouse/Dependents - its is NOT "Thai Citizenship" which is an altogether different, and much harder, option.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

It doesn't matter much what type of visa you obtain to enter Thailand, you could even get a 60-day tourist visa. If you want to live here as retired, then in my opinion the retirement visa is the way to go. I got Immigrant O for about 4 years and it was a major bureaucratic hazzle to renew it locally every year. The retirement visa, on the other hand, you can renew in a couple of hours. The only requirement is to show a combined retirement income and/or bank deposit totaling 800,000 baht.

The issue re-entry has nothing to do with the type of visa you have. Regardless of which visa, it is automatically canceled if you leave the country. So, if you want to travel, you apply separately for a re-entry stamp and your running resident visa is then not canceled.

The 90-day reporting is a minor irritation. I have reported the same address now about 45 times. You'd think they might wave this by now in favour of reporting a change of address.

Thanks Guys,

So, am I correct in understanding that the Retirement Visa is only a Visa to let me into the country to stay?

I had assumed it meant I could come and go at will. As a result of many years working as an Engineer in the region, I have lots of friends scattered around SEA and will be bopping off to see them from time to time. If I am reading this correctly, I will still need a another Visa to travel in and out of the country.

This then brings another question, does that second Visa fall under the max number of visits in a 6 or 12 month period or whatever those restrictions now are?

Damn, am I glad I asked the original question here.

Thanks, I am learning fast. :DeadHorse2:

In simple terms its 56k a month (certifiable) or 800,000 in the bank.

Typo' - 65k/month?

I think biggles has it right that you should start with a One Year Multi Entry from your home country, which can be stretched to 15 months by timing your last border run correctly.

Being pedantic, most posters are referring to a Retirement Extension (to a Visa). You could apply for a Retirement Visa from your home country but it's hard work and not worth the hassle.

A Retirement Extension is what it says i.e. you must have a Visa to extend. You can't get a RE from a Visa Waiver. Any sort of proper Visa will do, but the One Year ME is the most flexible.

The rest is as above, though I was reading with interest how you can get about 6 months out of a 3 month double entry Tourist Visa.

I think that's what Expat46 and SinkorSwim said anyway.

Thanks again,

I found the full details on the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Not sure how I missed that in my earlier searches.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2493

That all seems pretty straight forward and easy to deal with. I notice the 65K or 800K can be a combination. My income will easily cover the 65K but had it been less, my reading is...

$US1000 = 32,000B per month multiplied by 12 = 384,000B per year

800,000B - 384.000B = 416,000B = $US13,000 bank deposit.

I think the Retirement Visa is the way to go.

If you come here on a 60 day tourist visa, for example, you can get it converted to the 'retirement visa'. This costs approximately 3800B. The renewal, one year later, is 1900B. It is a good idea to have some cash in a Thai bank even if you meet the income requirement. Your embassy in Thailand can write an income verification letter. This is simplest if done in Thailand.

When you have all your documentation in order, go to the photocopy place next to immigration(in Jomtien). They will photocopy everything in the right order and quantity. This is important.

Dress nice, and they will treat you well.

The multi re-entry is around 3800 - 4000B. A single re-entry is 1000B.

I suggest making a post at thaivisa.com.

...........................That all seems pretty straight forward and easy to deal with. I notice the 65K or 800K can be a combination. My income will easily cover the 65K but had it been less, my reading is...

.............................I think the Retirement Visa is the way to go.

I'm sure you mean Retirement Extension ? :Nothing1:

As I said before, you can apply for a Retirement Visa from home but it's hard work eg. full medical and criminal record reports - no problems perhaps, but pure hassle.

Come in on any proper Visa and apply for the Extension to that before it expires. It's basically a breeze.

You make a brand new application each year - same income proof and paperwork as the previous one.

The Hon, Cons. next to Pattaya Immi' will do pension verication for UK (it costs) and don't forget if you're using the bank deposit it should be seeded 3 months before you apply.

As someone has suggested, there is a mass of information on the other Board and I'm surprised google didn't take you there. You won't need to start a new thread as there are loads already.

Multiple Entry O ; have to leave the country every 90 days , in one year 4 times, costs 4 x +/- 2.500 Thb = +/- 10.000 ThB

Extension of stay based on retirement : annually 1.900 ThB ; Multiple re-entry : 3.600 ThB; Total :5.500 ThB

Tintin, you are quite right but you left out one important calculation:- Interest lost on the 800k in the thai bank account, earning no interest for a year. In my case oz banks paying 6% on one year term deposits so its $1,600 or 48000 baht lost. That does redress the balance a little. My suggestion was based on the OP maybe wanting to see a little bit of SEA while he was there so leaving may not be a hassl or additional cost for a visa run. Also I never have to go near thai immigration as I renew in oz every fifteen months.

^

Agree with you if "retirement visa " is based on the 800.000 ThB on Thai account, not if based on monthly income of 65.000 ThB, and even the 800.000 don't have to been all year on your Thai account, but only 3 months before yearly application, but you must prove you have some income during the year.

Come in on any proper Visa and apply for the Extension to that before it expires. It's basically a breeze.

You make a brand new application each year - same income proof and paperwork as the previous one.

Thanks Edge, I have not found anything on the "Extension," but I will jump over to the other board. It did turn up in my google searches but searching their board returned too much stuff and not a lot of it direct an appropriate. I got over whelmed and decided to post here for the short version. :GoldenSmile1:

Thanks everyone who has assisted. Much appreciated. Beer is on me when I get settled. :001_Thank_You5:

Thanks Edge, I have not found anything on the "Extension," but I will jump over to the other board. It did turn up in my google searches but searching their board returned too much stuff and not a lot of it direct an appropriate. I got over whelmed and decided to post here for the short version..........................

Firstly my apologies as I abbreviate to RE, which is not correct either.

The correct terminology is:-

12 month extension to a non-immigrant visa: If you are holding a non-immigrant visa, you have the option of extending this by 12 months based on either retirement (50 years old or over) or support to a Thai citizen, work, education and such. This may only be accomplished at an immigration office inside the Kingdom and certain criteria have to be met. Such extensions consist of a stamp in your passport detailing “issue date” and “permitted to stay until” date.

I do agree that there are far too many posts on the other Board to wade through, but if you follow the Forum headings rather than the Search box you should find the pinned information, such as above, which is concise and correct.

I don't agree with all the maths of comparing the options (eg. if you bring in 800k then the Exchange Rate you hit can be very significant) but neither do I think it's relevant at this stage.

In the first instance all you have to do is decide whether to come in on a One Year Multi-Entry or a Tourist Visa. Then you have plenty of time to decide what to do next.

Search Expat46's posts on here and he gives a detailed explanation of how to work the latter, but I would recommend the former.

In the first instance all you have to do is decide whether to come in on a One Year Multi-Entry or a Tourist Visa.

Thanks again Edge, these are all options I was totally unaware of. You make a good point about Multi-entry.

The 800,000 baht only needs to be in bank for two months before you apply the first time after that it is 3 months before you renew.

Taoism: sh*t happens

Buddhism: if sh*t happens, it isn't really sh*t

Islam: if sh*t happens, it is the will of Allah

Catholicism: if sh*t happens, you deserve it

Judaism: why does this sh*t always happen to us?

Atheism: I don't believe this sh*t

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys I am not 50 yet so what kind of visa can I get if I want to retire here (or semi retire here meaning maybe half year here half year home) thanks guys

• 1 month later...

Is there any restrictions on the number of times you can enter and depart Thailand on a retirement visa? I am thinking about getting one when I return in a couple of months. I will need to return to the US every couple of months for work.

^

No, in your case besides a " Retirement Visa" you need a multiple Re Entry permit, you can obtain this at the immigration office, costs 3.800 ThB .

I'm sure you mean Retirement Extension ? :GoldenSmile1:

As I said before, you can apply for a Retirement Visa from home but it's hard work eg. full medical and criminal record reports - no problems perhaps, but pure hassle. quote]

Note that the medical has to be conducted by a Thailand-registered doctor. It's a 'talk to the doctor' type of test rather than a full clinical investigation - in and out in 15 minutes. Bigger hospitals (eg Bumrungrad in BKK) have a template on their IT system.

Getting the Statement of No-Criminality from the UK police is easy: go to your local police station with your passport and a photocopy of the ID page, then fill in a simple form. Your statement is then sent from Scotland Yard.

I'd also strongly recommend going to the Thai Consulate in Hull rather than the embassy in London to get the ball rolling on the one year multiple entry non-immigrant visa: superb same-day service. Google 'Thai Consulate Hull UK' and you'll find a good web-site with clear explanations about different classes of visa and downloadable forms.

how about me? what kinda visa can/should I get? thanks

We can process these if required.

Thai Visa Express

Registered UK Immigration Consultants 

OISC F200700163 UK Immigration Consultants

Impartial UK Immigration Advice - Expect An Honest Visa Assessment - NO Win No Agents Fees.

Web: www.thaivisa-express.com

Face Book : Thaivisaexpressthailand

OISC : https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/office-of-the-immigration-services-commissioner

Email : [email protected]

Tel : 0801022328

Tel :038420313

Tel UK : 020 -0281 -338 -059

Hi All,

I am about ready (mid 60s) to quit this foolishness of working and really retire. I have been sort of retired for many years but just keep falling back into the work thing.

Be careful of that if you go down the Retirement Extension path, some where in the shit I read it says, "Working is strictly Forbidden" it's one the thing's that has been putting me off going down that path. I've been on the lookout for something to make a few baht out of legally for the 3 1/2 years i've been here.

Working here is loosely described as anything that you can pay a Thai to do so even having a :02: could be considered working, plenty of girls here will do that for a couple hundred baht :GoldenSmile1:

Bam Bam

That which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger