IGNORED

Retirment Visa?

RibaldRay

We can process these if required.

Yeh we know, but it's money for old rope - too easy to DIY for anyone who can read and write.

I don't know why this was revived, but there's just a load od buffalo shit being posted now so I'll do the same.

The OP's Q was dealt with extensively and he was happy. This new crap is all over the place.

We can process these if required.

What does the Spam Rule mean anyway, or do you have special exemption?

5. Posting of spam is prohibited and posters of such information will be banned immediately. Legitimate advertising will be allowed by members who identify themselves to PA staff provided that they agree to post their advertising in the proper areas. Legitimate business owners may contact any of the Administrators or Moderators for posting permissions for these areas.

I think you will find I advertise and contribute correct advice on EU/UK Immigration matters and I'm a regulated adviser and you what is your contribution ?

Edited by Thai Visa Express

Thai Visa Express

Registered UK Immigration Consultants 

OISC F200700163 UK Immigration Consultants

Impartial UK Immigration Advice - Expect An Honest Visa Assessment - NO Win No Agents Fees.

Web: www.thaivisa-express.com

Face Book : Thaivisaexpressthailand

OISC : https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/office-of-the-immigration-services-commissioner

Email : [email protected]

Tel : 0801022328

Tel :038420313

Tel UK : 020 -0281 -338 -059

What does the Spam Rule mean anyway, or do you have special exemption?

5. Posting of spam is prohibited and posters of such information will be banned immediately. Legitimate advertising will be allowed by members who identify themselves to PA staff provided that they agree to post their advertising in the proper areas. Legitimate business owners may contact any of the Administrators or Moderators for posting permissions for these areas.

I think you will find I advertise and contribute correct advice on EU/UK Immigration matters and I'm a regulated adviser and you what is your contribution ?

My Q was what does the Spam Rule mean and whether you have special exemption. I see no answers.

You didn't offer any advice on this thread. You just jumped in with a "buy me".

If every advertiser for hotels etc jumped in every time someone asked a Q about accommodation it would be a mess.

If you contribute some advice on the thread that's fair enough but the blatant "buy me" posts are wrong IMO, so I asked the Q.

What is my contribution? To what, this board or this thread or what?

On this thread I posted 3 times I think and the OP posted:

Thanks again Edge, these are all options I was totally unaware of.

There is a lot of confusion on here about the difference between a Retirement Visa and an Extension to Non-Imm. Visa on the grounds of Retirement. I'm sure you know the difference so do you really provide Retirement Visas here in Thailand as some seem to believe?

On the board? If there's something I think I know the answer to or have an informed opinion about then I post.

Other than that, it being a mongers' board, I just post pictures of Pui. Oh and wind people up sometimes. :23:

I will apply for my visa at home. because money stays at home,(800.000) with interest. medical can be done at home, criminal record is only a letter to police at home, easy, or / what am I missing here ??

I will apply for my visa at home. because money stays at home,(800.000) with interest. medical can be done at home, criminal record is only a letter to police at home, easy, or / what am I missing here ??

Not much I don't think, provided you were going home at the expiration of your Retirement Visa or Extension anyway.

If you have to set the cost of a return ticket against the interest it may not make sense though.

A lot of people find the Visa Extension (Retirement) option easy and convenient because then they can choose when or if they go home.

Personally, if I go home at or before the expiration of my Extension I will get a One Year Non Imm Multi Entry, because I don't mind going to Cambodia or wherever every 3 months for a break from Thailand and to explore Asia some more. By timing those runs correctly one can get 15 months out of it and it's cheaper than the Extension - provided you're going home anyway.

I go home every year to renew my Non Immigrant "O" because at the moment that suits me, because I still have some unresolved issues back home, however, last year I had a discussion with the lady in the Consulate in Brisbane and she told me that I couldn't get a "Retirement Visa" or what ever the correct name for it is, anywhere but in Thailand, so had to get the Non Immigrant "O" and run with that.

I also asked her about whether I needed the cash in the bank or would the proof of income I had showed her for the Non Immigrant "O" would suffice and her reply was almost comical, she said "Come on you have lived there long enough now, to know how it works, it will be entirely up to who you speak to in Immigration on the day, as to what they will require of you"

The next time I went into Immigration in Jomtien, I was told that it didn't matter how much income I had, I would need to deposit at least a minimum of 200,000 in my Thai account, but I know guys here who had almost nothing in their accounts and only showed proof of income.

So it looks like the lady in Brisbane was spot on, so much is in the hands of the employee's of the state here, there appears at times to be no hard and fast rules. :)

Bam Bam

That which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger

...................last year I had a discussion with the lady in the Consulate in Brisbane and she told me that I couldn't get a "Retirement Visa" or what ever the correct name for it is, anywhere but in Thailand, so had to get the Non Immigrant "O" and run with that...................

I think if you can't even be bothered to read what's written it would be better if you didn't just throw more garbage into the thread to confuse others.

You're not listening, but for those who might have thought any of that was relevant I'll try again.

You can only get a Retirement Visa in your home country.

In Thailand you can only get an Extension to Visa (Retirement) so you must already have a Visa.

The rules about Income/Bank Balance are strictly adhered to at Jomtien and I've witnessed an applicant being ordered to leave the country immediately because his balance had fallen below the required level for 2 days in 3 months. If you become reliant on an Extension application and it fails, then you have no Visa.

What you say about 200k in the bank regardless of income doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Maybe you weren't listening then either.

The guys who can get an Extension without money in the bank can presumably do so because they can show an income of more than 800k/annum.

From what I saw, Australia has far too many rules of their own to keep track of. You can't seriously expect them to know what Thailand's are. The only rules she would be aware of (hopefully) are those for a Retirement Visa application in Australia. She has no reason to need to know the rules for an application for an Extension to Visa in Thailand, which is what we are talking about here.

It's not her concern and she most certainly was not "spot on".

Members would do better to try to understand the correct process for applying for an Extension to Visa (Retirement) which are really not very complicated, than listening to this type of nonsense.

There are back/door/kitchen table ways to get the stamp for 23-28k baht from some agents - at your own risk.

I think if you can't even be bothered to read what's written it would be better if you didn't just throw more garbage into the thread to confuse others.

You're not listening, but for those who might have thought any of that was relevant I'll try again.

You can only get a Retirement Visa in your home country.

In Thailand you can only get an Extension to Visa (Retirement) so you must already have a Visa.

The rules about Income/Bank Balance are strictly adhered to at Jomtien and I've witnessed an applicant being ordered to leave the country immediately because his balance had fallen below the required level for 2 days in 3 months. If you become reliant on an Extension application and it fails, then you have no Visa.

What you say about 200k in the bank regardless of income doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Maybe you weren't listening then either.

The guys who can get an Extension without money in the bank can presumably do so because they can show an income of more than 800k/annum.

From what I saw, Australia has far too many rules of their own to keep track of. You can't seriously expect them to know what Thailand's are. The only rules she would be aware of (hopefully) are those for a Retirement Visa application in Australia. She has no reason to need to know the rules for an application for an Extension to Visa in Thailand, which is what we are talking about here.

It's not her concern and she most certainly was not "spot on".

Members would do better to try to understand the correct process for applying for an Extension to Visa (Retirement) which are really not very complicated, than listening to this type of nonsense.

There are back/door/kitchen table ways to get the stamp for 23-28k baht from some agents - at your own risk.

Edge, do you just have a predisposition to attack everything I say in here or what ?????

I think it is you, who does not read what is being said ?????

I was merely conveying what the "Thai Lady" at the "Thai Consulate" told me, who the hell did you think I was talking about, some Aussie bird at the Australian embassy/consulate, by the way, I do believe that "Thai Lady" is the Consulates wife, and has been in there every time I have ever been in there since 2006, and from all reports has been there a lot longer than that, she said I CANNOT get a retirement Visa in Australia despite what you have said above, she is the one who would be processing the application, should I believe her or YOU

I personally would prefer to believe information from people who are in authoritative positions, within the Thai government departments, right or wrong, they are the ones making the decisions. I am most certainly in no doubt about what I was told regarding the 200,000 in the bank thing, I can show well in excess of 800,000 baht income per annum.

Everything I have posted on this board regards to Visa's, Driving Licences etc has come from personal experience in the main and a couple of times something that was passed on by someone else and I usually point that out and also that I may have it wrong, but I am 100% certain of what I was told in this case.

Personally I think I will just ignore everything you have to say from now on, so don't bother replying to this.

Bam Bam

That which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger

Checkbin (post above) is right on the detail. Here's a lift from the web-site of the Thai Consulate in Hull (NB the address for Thai Immigration in Bangkok has changed - now in Chaeng Wattana Soi 7):

RETIREMENT “O-A” VISA APPLICATION

and

Official Information About Retiring in Thailand

THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS PROVIDED ONLY FOR BRITISH NATIONALS LIVING IN THE UNITED KINGDOM

To be eligible to retire in Thailand you must:-

a) be aged 50 years or over.

b) not be prohibited from entering the Kingdom under the Thai Immigration Act BE 2522 (1979).

c) not have a criminal record in your country of nationality or your country of residency or in Thailand. You need

to contact your local UK Police Force and request a “Subject Access Report”. Please be aware it can take up to 40 days for

it to be issued. Furthermore, please note the report must be submitted to the authorities in Thailand within three months of date of issue of the report.

d) not have a medical record of any contagious diseases. You need to obtain a medical report from a hospital in

Thailand. It must not more than three months old. It must state you have not been infected with any contagious disease in accordance with Thai Immigration Regulation No.14 BE 2535 (1992). The form on page 8/8 is for completion by a doctor in Thailand.

e) be able to support yourself financially. It is necessary to show an income into a Thai bank account of minimum

65,000 baht per month by way of a pension, Investments, etc or a minimum of 800,000 baht in a bank account in Thailand

or a mixture of the two..

f) hold a passport with a minimum of 12 months validity at time of entering Thailand.

Provided you can meet the above requirements, the next process is to apply for a Non-Immigrant category “O” visa,

see pages 3/8 to 6/8.

When you have received your ”O” visa you need to ensure you have all of the following documents which you must

take with you for presentation at the “Thai Immigration Bureau” in Bangkok (Thai Immigration Bureau, Section 1,

Sub Division 1, Soi Suan Plu, off South Sathorn Road, Sathorn District, Bangkok 10120 - tel: 00 66-22873101-10

Extension 2236) or in the town close to where you will be living in your retirement:-

1) Passport containing your “O” visa, passport to be valid for at least one year from date of entering Thailand.

2) Three “Additional Application Form for Non-Immigrant ‘O-A’ Visa” duly completed and with recent passport

type photograph 4cm x 6cm attached to each one – see page 7/8.

3) Subject Access (police) Report – to be no more than 3 months old when presented in Thailand.

4) Medical Report form – to be completed by a doctor in Thailand – see page 8/8.

5) Evidence to show minimum income of 65,000 baht per month going into a bank account in Thailand or minimum 800,000 baht deposited in a bank account in Thailand (a combination may be accepted).

We advise applicants to visit the Thai Immigration Bureau at the earliest opportunity although you may be asked to return after having been in Thailand for 60 days

If your application is approved you will be issued with the non-immigrant category “O-A” long stay visa by the relevant Thai Immigration Bureau

In the case of wishing to be accompanied by your spouse, the marriage certificate must be presented at the Thai Immigration Bureau. In this case your spouse will be granted a Non–Immigrant “O”, instead of “O-A”, and will be subject to the regulations applying to the “O” visa which includes having to exit Thailand every 90 days. If your spouse wishes to be granted retirement status they must meet all of the requirements as listed above (a to f) and must submit separate documents as listed above (1 to 5).

Documents will be processed and the actual length of stay (usually one year) will be determined and granted at the Thai Immigration Bureau. This process should be completed within three months of applying.

Having been in the Kingdom up to a maximum of 90 days from issue of the “O-A” visa, applicants must report themselves to the Thai Immigration Bureau concerned and every 90 days there after. Alternatively they can report by post by completing Form TH-47 which can be obtained at the Thai Immigration Bureau.

After staying in the Kingdom for one year and wishing to extend the stay, this can also be done by submitting an application to the Thai Immigration Bureau and by showing documents to confirm your financial status meets the requirements (65k baht monthly income or 800k baht lump-sum in Thai bank – subject to alteration without notice).

In the case of the spouse wishing to extend their stay on the “O” visa they must produce their Marriage Certificate.

Please note it is not possible to work in Thailand with the “O-A” visa

Please understand that the procedures outlined above are the official ones as issued by the

Thailand Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Bangkok

Not all of the documentary requirements as listed 1 to 5 above may be required by all

Thai Immigration Bureaux but you are advised to take everything with you just in case.

Edited by kansuwan

Hi guys I have been finding out what kind of visa I can get....want to semi retire in Thailand but I am not 50 yet so can't get the retirement visa...I have heard that I can get a year student visa? apply for a language school (http://www.thaiwalen.com/student_visa.php)pay the tuition and they will give you the 1 year visa.....but for this method can I repeat it year after year until I am 50? I am only 34 now. and can I just pay the tuition and not go to the school? I just want the visa. For student visa can I get a driver license, own a condo/house, open up a company and put the house under my name that way? for the monthly border run I don't think you can get driver's license, own a car/condo etc eh? because you are only on a temp visa. So is the student visa the best way I can go about? any other visas? thanks guys

...........I was merely conveying what the "Thai Lady" at the "Thai Consulate" told me, who the hell did you think I was talking about, some Aussie bird at the Australian embassy/consulate,................. she said I CANNOT get a retirement Visa in Australia despite what you have said above, she is the one who would be processing the application, should I believe her or YOU..........

It doesn't really matter what her ethnicity was. She was in Australia talking about a Retirement Visa, which is all she needs to know about as it's all you could get (of the 2 options) in Australia.

If she really told you that you could only get a Retirement Visa in Thailand then she was fundamentally wrong. You absolutely cannot get a Retirement Visa in Thailand, only in your home country. I imagine from the rest of what you recalled she said that she was talking about an Extension to Visa (Retirement).

What I and most of the other posters have been talking about here is an Extension to Visa (Retirement) about which I have read a lot and you can definitely only get one in Thailand.

I have little interest in a Retirement Visa as I read it all once and decided that it wasn't for me.

If you really want to know whether you could get a Retirement Visa you could do worse than read the information posted above by kansuwan. I believe the rules for Australia are more or less the same and you would do better believing them than either me or the lady in the Consulate.

I am not predisposed to attack anything you say, but if I see you or anyone has posted erroneous or misleading information I will do my best to correct it. I don't care if you ignore it, it is for the benefit of those who want accurate information.

Hi guys I have been finding out what kind of visa I can get....want to semi retire in Thailand but I am not 50 yet so can't get the retirement visa.......................

There was a thread here somewhere about how to max out 6 month Double Entry Tourist Visas.

I think they were saying you could buy 2 of them and get 18 months by timing your border runs correctly.

I think Expat45 or 46 even posted a pictorial instruction of how to do it.

I also recall that sinkorswim agreed so maybe he does it.

It's something I need to check out in the next month or two, so if you find it I'd appreciate a shout.

Edge.

P.S. when are you coming to see her. :Anger:

I'm more confused than ever now ???????

I still believe my best way is to get the retirement visa at home. ( it can also be got in Thailand ) I would prefer to have MY money in MY country thanks, 800.000b which I BELIEVE you can do ???

There was a thread here somewhere about how to max out 6 month Double Entry Tourist Visas.

I think they were saying you could buy 2 of them and get 18 months by timing your border runs correctly.

I think Expat45 or 46 even posted a pictorial instruction of how to do it.

I also recall that sinkorswim agreed so maybe he does it.

It's something I need to check out in the next month or two, so if you find it I'd appreciate a shout.

Edge.

P.S. when are you coming to see her. :D

Searched for both 45 and 46 but it didn't find any member with that name, sinkorswim I checked up to page 6 but didn't see anything about visa for the topic he started. however with tourist visa I can't open up a bank account and own condo etc can I? I plan to semi retire in Pattaya maybe the student visa is the best way for me and just kept on renewing it.

well I am trying to find out the situation in Pattaya now, if the red shirt are ok I will be heading over real soon like in a couple weeks! some say it's no problem some say they are planning a come back and something will happen for sure...what do you think man?

I'm more confused than ever now ???????

I still believe my best way is to get the retirement visa at home. ( it can also be got in Thailand ) I would prefer to have MY money in MY country thanks, 800.000b which I BELIEVE you can do ???

You ABSOLUTELY CANNOT get a Retirement Visa in Thailand. Please trust me on that one or tell me why/how you think you can.

You can only get an Extension of Stay (Retirement) here and that requires the bank/income etc.

You may well be right. I still haven't met anyone who has bothered with a Retirement Visa, though there must be some here.

When you're doing your sums don't forget the ATM charges here now. They can mount up vs having a Thai bank account and there are other advantages eg. you can take advantage of exchange rate fluctuations sometimes.

The retired guys I know, who don't want to put money in the bank here and/or cannot show the income required have all opted for the One Year Non Imm Multi Entry Visa (stretchable to 15 months).

At the end of one of those you can reconsider the bank/income requirement and apply for an Extension of Stay (Retirement) go home for another one (or a Retirement Visa) or whatever other option there might be by then (you might be married lol).

AFAIK the guys I know don't have a Criminal Record problem but who knows. I just read someone says a CR check is just a letter from the Police. My memory is fading but I think when I looked into it there were 2 levels of check (and 2 prices). I never found out which level was required because I was told it could take 6 weeks to get one and I didn't have time for that anyway, so I just got the One Multi Entry there and then.

Have you checked what's involved in a CR check where you are and do you have to pay for your medical?

The disadvantage of the One Year Multi Entry vs Retirement is that you do have to go out every 90 days. I ran on them for a couple of years or so and, as it happened, I only did 2 of the mini bus border runs i.e. I went out somewhere anyway at the right times because I like going to Cambodia or wherever quite often and I did go home and I did go to a wedding in Perth etc.. It's a personal choice but worst case scenario is to allow 2500 baht every 3 months for a border run.

Any clearer? :GoldenSmile1:

Searched for both 45 and 46 but it didn't find any member with that name, sinkorswim I checked up to page 6 but didn't see anything about visa for the topic he started. however with tourist visa I can't open up a bank account and own condo etc can I? I plan to semi retire in Pattaya maybe the student visa is the best way for me and just kept on renewing it.

"Expat45" or "Expat46" ? Leave it with me I'll try to find it. On reflection it involved buying 2 x 60 day Double Entry Tourist Visas, buying a 30day extension before they ran out and then doing a border run before the extension ran out, using the second entry to get another 30 days - close to 8 months in total for the cost of the 2 Visas plus 2 extensions plus 3 border runs/exits - I think.

Remind me why a One Year Multi Entry (stretchable to 15 months) is not good for you.

I know nothing about Student Visas so I cannot comment on those. Do you have to study and what does it cost and do you want to have that as an obligation?

Yes you can open a bank a/c and I'm pretty sure you can buy a condo'.

well I am trying to find out the situation in Pattaya now, if the red shirt are ok I will be heading over real soon like in a couple weeks! some say it's no problem some say they are planning a come back and something will happen for sure...what do you think man?

It's all under control and quiet at present, but the political status quo hasn't changed so it will no doubt rumble on and perhaps erupt again. The only solution for the Redshirts would seem to be a General Election, which would probably go in their favour, but then the Yellow Shirts might cause problems.

Personally I wouldn't feed it into your travel plans, but it might be a consideration re buying a condo'.

If you buy one don't assume you'll sell it again easily. Buying condo's can sometimes be as complicated as buying a house (no, don't do that). Remember a condo' is only a piece of space up in the air, in a building owned by a Thai company and built on land probably owned by another Thai. Farang are only allowed to 'own' 49% of the total block. Problems can and do arise. I even read of 2 blocks near the Airport where the developer snuck in an extra 2 floors to max the profit. The problem came to light (haha) when the owners of the extra condo's complained about approaching aircraft lights shining into their rooms. It's funny if it's not you perhaps, but now there's a demolition order on the 2 floors.

If you do buy one, don't buy off plan something that isn't built/finished yet (don't even believe the photograph they say - especially don't believe the photograph). Preferably buy a unit in a finished and established block from a distressed and desperate farang (you need to see real tears) and then try your best not to emulate him.

This being a mongers'forum, there is limited boring stuff like that here, but there is a wealth of it on thaivisa.com.

• Like 1

hey Edge how's everything over there you lucky man!, ya it was expat45 and 46 that I was talking about. For the student visa I heard a lot of people are doing that to get a visa and to get into thailand, but if this visa you are talking about works out then for sure I will go with this.....so with this tourist visa you can open bank acct, buy condo/house....I didn't know that..so it will all work out then! is this kind of visa what many foreigner agogo/bar owner do? as well as some retirees? any chance of they denying you the visa? if that happens then I gonna have to sell the condo when the visa is up which is not a good idea, I am guessing as long as you pay for the visa, not getting into trouble with law etc then you are totally fine. Oh with this tourist visa can you also set up a company and buy house and put it under company's name? I heard a lot of people do that.

I think I will just go ahead and head over, I will just keep up with the news and redshirt and be prepared if anything happens. should be ok

yeah about condo...I have heard about that, you definitely want to buy one when everything is finished and right in front of your eye, don't want to buy one that's not even finished, good tip. So do you rent now? I am still not sure yet, this trip I will just be taking a look at condos/houses and ask questions. Thanks for the good tips though. ya I will definitely check out thaivisa.com..

later on if I want to sell the condo it will be very difficult? is it because there are so many condos in pattaya? why would it be difficult to sell it later?

Thanks Edge..I'm in NZ and a medical is not expensive. The CR is a request to the CR department, 6 weeks ? and free.Border runs dont spin my wheels so a retirment visa from NZ is the way to go. But enlighten me again, can I have the 800.000b in a NZ bank account ( equivilant ) so as to produce a copy of that when required and have just living expenses in a Thai bank ? Am I making sense ?

all the guys I know from the uk get there O non imigrant visa from the thai consulate in hull or some where else in the uk and then when they get to thailand they then can apply for the retirement visa A as long as they have the right funding and paper work etc.

Thanks Edge..I'm in NZ and a medical is not expensive. The CR is a request to the CR department, 6 weeks ? and free.Border runs dont spin my wheels so a retirment visa from NZ is the way to go. But enlighten me again, can I have the 800.000b in a NZ bank account ( equivilant ) so as to produce a copy of that when required and have just living expenses in a Thai bank ? Am I making sense ?

I haven't done it, but I'm almost certain the money can be in your home bank for a Retirement Visa.

Think about it. When you are applying you are at home. You may never have even been to Thailand. How would you have opened a Thai bank account?

Once you have your Retirement Visa there should be no further need to produce proof when you get here, although theoretically they can ask anybody to show that they can support themselves on entry and they did turn back a group of Indians recently.

I very much doubt they would question someone with a Retirement Visa as they would know you proved it to get one.

No harm in bringing a recent statement though.

There is a lot more accurate information HERE, but there is so much you might have to spend a bit of time trawling threads for something specific.

All the forms are there for download etc etc.

When you get your Retirement Visa maybe you can show us what one looks like?

Good luck.

all the guys I know from the uk get there O non imigrant visa from the thai consulate in hull or some where else in the uk and then when they get to thailand they then can apply for the retirement visa A as long as they have the right funding and paper work etc.

Yes that's the most common choice, as I've said above, except that it isn't a Retirement Visa they get subsequently, it is an Extension of Stay (Retirement) and is not a Visa in itself. You cannot get a Retirement Visa in Thailand.

The Visa is whatever they came in with and the Extension looks like this.

Thanks edge.

By the way, i got a tourist visa today and the nz$50 fee was returned to me, no fee's this year ???? all good, that's 2200 bht= 2 st's.

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't matter much what type of visa you obtain to enter Thailand, you could even get a 60-day tourist visa. If you want to live here as retired, then in my opinion the retirement visa is the way to go. I got Immigrant O for about 4 years and it was a major bureaucratic hazzle to renew it locally every year. The retirement visa, on the other hand, you can renew in a couple of hours. The only requirement is to show a combined retirement income and/or bank deposit totaling 800,000 baht.

The issue re-entry has nothing to do with the type of visa you have. Regardless of which visa, it is automatically canceled if you leave the country. So, if you want to travel, you apply separately for a re-entry stamp and your running resident visa is then not canceled.

The 90-day reporting is a minor irritation. I have reported the same address now about 45 times. You'd think they might wave this by now in favour of reporting a change of address.

If you do not move, your address remains unchanged, isn’t it ?!