IGNORED

Help me out please with a good point & shoot

Thaihot

I want to get a new camera that in general points & shoots.

I want it to give me good pics so I can keep up here with the high standard.

I do not want to be a pro with a big SLR.

Looking in the shops today I can see the 3 big ones that are all about £350 approx are the Canon S90, Canon power shoot SX210 or the Sony cyber shoot HX5

I want a good all round camera so guys please advice me ??????

post-31229-127033994976_thumb.jpgpost-31229-127034000556_thumb.jpgpost-31229-127034004297_thumb.jpg

post-31229-127034009407_thumb.jpgpost-31229-12703401421_thumb.jpgpost-31229-127034019219_thumb.jpg

post-31229-127034024638_thumb.jpgpost-31229-127034028894_thumb.jpgpost-31229-127034034193_thumb.jpg

I bought a lumix lx3 last week and it is awesome but a little to big for a pocket, I was looking at the HX5, Sx210, TZ10 and WB650 but they are just toys.... the s90 is very good with a fast lens and takes good low light photos but does not record HD video. another option is the Sony tx7. out of the above the SX210 and HX5 would be the pick for a compact with all the bells and whistles, just remember more megapixels does not mean better images, most of the above have 14mp which compresses the image to much making them look like shit, the previous model to the TZ10 takes better pictures then the new version for example. the s90 takes much better photos then the others here

I have been using Canon for years, some of the best digital cameras. Highly recommended as a brand.

Pick any model you like as long as it is a canon and has the letters "IS" after the model number (IS stands for Image Stabilization, Check Wikipedia like to article explaining IS).

I prefer the technology and ease of use of cannon.

The only thing to note, is that Canon mainly uses batteries that will keep charge for a long time and that will degrade with charge. I.e. charge it once, use it to death before charging again. One common mistake people make with cannon is that they charge it daily at the end of each day. Over few years of such behavior, battery life will degrade. only charge the battery when required and it should live for many years.

And, do not get sucked into the resolution thing. 5 or 7 megapixel will be good enough for all. you do not need more.

There's a big thread currently running on the Canon S90.

I just bought one in UK for 284 GBP and waiting for someone to bring it out next week.

I can tell you that the Lumix ZS3 produces excellent results. However, it does not provide RAW files (only JPEG). And it's slightly thicker than the LX3 (although about 1.7 ounces lighter). Here are some size and weight comparisons:

Dimensions (inches)--- Weight (Oz.)

Lumix ZS3 4.1 x 2.4 x 1.3--- 7.7

Lumix LX3 4.3 x 2.3 x 1.1--- 9.4

Canon S90 3.9 x 2.3 x 1.2--- 7.0

I believe all three of these cameras provide image stabilization which I think is a very good feature.

I haven't used the LX3 or the S90, but I'm very happy with the ZS3.

Bakwan

just spent a week with a mate in patts who had just bought the canon powershot G11. a bit bigger that some of the smaller point and shoots but fucking awsome photos, does RAW too.

i work with a guy who has the canon IXUS 100 (IXUS 200 out now) HD video and awsome pics in a tiny little camera.

I'm with the Codger... S90, you know it makes sense bud.

S90 is the one I went for :001_Thank_You5:. Due to the f2.0 lens, IS, and fantastic ISO performance you can take shots in bars without flash and get good quality pictures out the back end.

Looking in the shops yesterday there is also in this top end point & shoot range that is good in the pocket & is not to big is the Nikon cool pix S8000.

So guys please advice me as I have been a sony cyber shoot fan but may well change.

:laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

My last few cameras have been point & shoot Sony cameras but today in the shop I noticed there is a Nikon coolpix S8000.

Before I purchase any new camera can any one give any reference or has any one any experence of this new camera ?????

:GoldenSmile1:

Lumix DMC TZ7 - fantastic results and it even has HD Video which produces better recordings than any video camera I've ever had