IGNORED

Immigration

whitespider - RIP

It has been brought to our attention that there is a planned crackdown on foreigners not carrying their passports in Thailand.

Of course we have heard these things before and the "I have never been asked" brigade usualy come out in force.

However.............. remember, it is a legal requirement to carry your passport (although a good photocopy has usually sufficed) so it may be prudent to carry it now.

If you choose not to then don't say you were not warned.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Jesus... Why are they doing it now?? Are they trying to get rid of us??

Thanks, I will keep that in mind when in Pattaya...

Edited by jocky king

I always have a color lamainated copy in me wallet..

just incase something happens moreso than for the cops..

good to know anyway. :GoldenSmile1:

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

I am very reluctant to carry my passport around all the time. It is safer in the hotel safe deposit. I have known of someone who lost his passort when it was on him and there were problems as you can expect.

I usually carry a photocopy of the passport with me.

Who has been asked for their passport?

i can just see it tourists being asked for their papers at police checkpoints on beach road and Walking Street .. tourists caught without passports lined up and photographed in the police station ..

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

Dumb law, last thing I want to carry around with me in the Walking St is my passport, get pissed and lose it, fucking pickpocket katoeys everywhere, lose your passport and what a fucking hassle that'll be.

mind you it comes in usefull during songkran as passports are especially good at soaking up excess water in your pockets :Fuck_Dog:

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

What about Thai Drivers License? Would that do?

I carry both my Thai drivers licence and a laminated copy of my passport, but I live here. If visiting I would definitely carry a copy of my Passport, you may never need it but trust me should a time arise when it is needed, you will be thanking Buddha that you thought of it. As the alternative could be residing in a cell whilst you get someone to go find/get the original.

Who cares about: "I have never been asked", nor have I but when it happens, and it will, I am ready. In addition what's the drama its a photo-copy, cost 10 Baht takes 10 minutes.

Edited by Cerberus

what is the best place to get it copied at

Asked once, show my laminated photo copy + Thai DL = no problem before.

Nor now I would think, they are just wanting to check that you are here legally. Produce a photo-copy which is readable and I seriously doubt you will have a problem.

what is the best place to get it copied at

Paper copy, any copy shop, less that a minute cost about 10 baht.(that usually means any Kodak shop). Laminated copy most of the Kodak shops do that as well. Credit card size, information page one side Visa stamp page on the reverse. takes 10/15minutes and cost between 100/150Baht.

Edit. p.s. Laminated far better during Songkran :Fuck_Dog:

Edited by Cerberus

Go to Kodak get it laminated.

Go to Devil's Den and send it through the wringer.

Check, check, and double check ...

can't wail for May 5th.

Dumb law, last thing I want to carry around with me in the Walking St is my passport, get pissed and lose it, fucking pickpocket katoeys everywhere, lose your passport and what a fucking hassle that'll be.

Actually it is not a dumb law. Thais are required, as in many EU countries etc, to carry id at all times and the carrying of passports is there to mirror that. It is there to catch the thousands of over-stayers - if you are here legitimately and have the copy then you will have no problems as people have pointed out.

What is dumb is the inconsistency of its application. If it were more evenly applied then everyone would be aware of it and would carry the photocopy, and yes and someone pointed out the copy needs to be al relevant parts including entry visa or stamp.

In the total of 9 years living here and never leaving I have NEVER once been asked to show my passport..There are Many headaches in losing your Passport so I keep it in my house..

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

This is the nightmare of losing your British or Aussie passport in Pattaya

1.) Lose passport.

2.) Report it to police on beach road (costs money to do this plus extra to get the police report translated to English)

3.) Go to Bangkok and report it to the embassy staff, then fill out form (they might be available online and make sure you have 4 x photo's) and pay them Bt9000 also they will give you temp passport.

4.) Go back to Pattaya and wait for phone call to tell you it is ready for collection (10 days min) but don't ask them to post it to Pattaya as it takes another week to get to you.

5.) Get phone call to tell you it is ready for collection and head back out to Bangkok again.

6.) Pick up passport from embassy and head out to Thai immigration to get a stamp on it to say when you landed in Bkk and pay for any overstay if applicable.

7.) You are ready to go home (took me nearly 4 weeks in total)

I would rather get a copy made than do that again.

In the total of 9 years living here and never leaving I have NEVER once been asked to show my passport..There are Many headaches in losing your Passport so I keep it in my house..

Neither have I in 14 years but I am definitely going to make sure I carry my copy now. For 100 baht why not?

I tried to get a laminated copy made, but my first attempt ended up with a black and white card that was so badly photocopied it was completely illegible, and 2 times too big to be carried in my wallet (they included the blank/useless facing pages too). I asked in at least half a dozen other shops if they could do a colour copy, and none could - and none seemed to have any idea what I was asking about or experience doing it, so I gave up. Can anybody name/locate a specific shop that can do a good job?

Have you read the forum rules?

Please resize your photos!

Sitting here now in this bar for hours,

whilst strange men rent strange flowers,

I'll be picking up your petals in another few hours...

Walk past Oasis Agogo heading in the direction of Pattaya Thai and you will see a Kodak shop on your immediate left. I have had a total of 8 done there, (different people :Grin_Jump1: ) all perfect, just show the guy the two pages you want, if you do not have enough Thai to tell him :c45ec00b:

When you fly into Bkk's new airport. You'll see a number of shop's and money exchange place's. I bet that none of them have got a manchine that can copy the relevent page's in your passport. If one of the shop's had a copy machine I'm sure they would make a small fortune.

I for one would get it done at the airport when I first arrive in Thailand. And then I can forget about getting it done in Pattaya.

Also nobody has mentioned the hotel's. When I check into my hotel in Pattaya they always take a photostat copy of my passport as I'm checking in. One could always ask reception to do a copy and then put it in your wallet. I'm sure they would be happy to oblige

Edited by blue1878

I agree, for short time stays the hotel copier method is the best way to go.

I lived in China for 5 years, never carried a passport, but always had a copy with me. Don't know the comparability with Thailand, but was never asked for a passport in all those years

Seems to me that unless your are doing something completely bizarre the copy will suffice as a temporary measure until you can go back to the hotel and retrieve the actual passport.

Just be sure to have a copy of your passport stamp as well. It's as least as important as a copy of the face page.

David G.

I didnt even know I was supposed to carry my passport. I'll be carrying a colour copy nest trip just in case. Cheers

I didnt even know I was supposed to carry my passport. I'll be carrying a colour copy nest trip just in case. Cheers

make sure you have a copy of your passport stamp from then you enter the country as well.

My friend uses a laminated business card sized copy with the main page on one side and the stamp on the other.

i carry a photo copy of my passport, also a laminated version, plus a a card from the hotel i am staying in, have done on every visit, but never once in my travells has anyone ever asked me to produce them, i think anyone carrying there passport around with them are taking a massive risk, drink and possesions can easily go there own way' and if you lost your passport, untold problems await.

Edited by Mantra