Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Non-Immigrant O-A One-Year, Multiple Entry Visa

upena

I live in Hawaii and will be retiring to Khon Kaen, Thailand in a little under 3 weeks. Here is my short story of applying for and getting my visa.

A few weeks back I was ready to apply for my Retirement Visa as I had received my new Passport (old one had less than 18 months on it). I downloaded the forms from the LA Consulate web site and filled them out. I called the local Thai Consulate with a few questions:

Q - How many copies of photos and documents do you need? Thai Consulate in LA web site says 4

A - one, we have a scanner

Q - How much is the visa

A - $175 USD for multiple entry, one year

Q - Since I work for US Army as a civilian on a military base, can I use the base MPs to do the police check?

A - yes

Q - Do I really need to get a Doctor's exam to prove I don't have elephantitis, third step of syphilis, drug addiction, TB, or leprosy?

A - Yes, you need to get doctor exam.

Q - I don't have 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank but I do have about 100,000 Baht in Thai bank, a checking account in America, and a retirement account.

A - Just draft a short letter describing your finances and provide copies of your statements (I gave copy of bank account in US, retirement account, Tax form (W-2) from 2009, and last pay stub).

Q - How do I pay? Cash? Money Order?

A - Money Order, Cashier's check, or personal check (I opted for the latter).

So, I had one of our security soldiers request a background check from the local MPs and got that back the next day. Medical exam took about 10 to get in as my doctor was on vacation. I got the TD test, pissed in a cup for the drug test, and while I was there, had them take 3 tubes of blood to see how the old body was doing.

I packed this all up and took it to the Royal Thai Consulate on 26 Feb (Friday)- which is co-located with the "Maid Brigade" - a local company that provide cleaning services. There are towels and rags all over the office in heaps of piles. I dropped off my packet with one of the Maid Brigade ladies and was told it would take 3-5 business days to process. I went to pay and was told to pay when it is ready.

So, I wait a week and call to see if my visa is ready and I am told it was ready 1 March (Monday) - but no one bothered to call me.

Anyhow - all is well that ends well and I can now go to Thailand to start retirement.

The small white sign indicates that it is the Royal Thai Consulate

P2260001.jpg