IGNORED

Caribbean - Bkk

labaggies

I have just started a new business in the Grenadine Islands (close to Barbados), and will need to fly to BKK, what do you think is the best route, I don't really want to fly back through Europe, but I am getting ridiculous fares through USA, please Help!!

I'm no expert on the Caribbean, but I think the biggest issue might be your route of transit. FWIW, I don't think you will save any time leaving from Carribean going via US or Canada. So if you think the hassle going through EU is about time, revisit that thought.

From which airport do you plan to depart? Canouan-Grenadine Is, Bridgetown-Barbados or Grenada??? (probably best to book out of Bridgetown but you might be able to squeak a deal out of Canouan)

For many flights out of Carribean to US, you're probably going to transfer through Miami although American flies direct from Canouan to San Juan, PR. (You'll find fewer flights going through the other major 'hubs' like Atlanta, JFK, Houston, Dallas and the like). So given that you may find your best fares off the islands, especially this time of year, may be back through European continent and you will probably find cheaper fares from the EU than from the states.

Best recommendation (I'm pretty sure this will probably be your best price)

Caribbean Airlines: Bridgetown to London-Gatwick and Gatwick to BKK on BA or Emirates

BA: $766 USD each way from Bridgetown to BKK (via Gatwick--same flight codeshare)

Best recommendation from North America

JetBlue: Bridgetown to JFK for about $139 each way and JFK to BKK (or Singapore) on Singapore or United for about $1250 round-trip.

**UPDATE: I think this will probably be your cheapest bet.

You probably won't be able to book directly on-line, but the web allows a JetBlue (JB) flight from SFO to BGI-via JFK round trip (but not the other way around). You'll probably have to call JB directly to get the BGI to SFO via JFK routing. Using this routing gets you 139 from BGI to JFK and 119 from JFK to SFO each way. Combine that with 866 to BKK round-trip on EVA and I don't think you'll find much better. It's a couple hundred less but you add another stop and transit point.

• The reason I think the JFK to SFO doesn't show is because the SFO flight probably leaves before the BGI to JFK flight arrives (possibly requiring an overnight in NYC)
  • Alternative JB from BGI-via JFK to Las Vegas for 199. From Vegas you have the option to book a flight to SFO or LAX and onto BKK or book Korean Air direct from Vegas to BKK via Seoul-Inchon (does not fly out every day).

As for the other options . . .

US Airway:

Through Charlotte or Philadelphia. There isn't a good transfer point from either to a direct BKK routing and you'll need to take an additional stop probably through San Francisco, Los Angeles or JFK (on United, Thai, Singapore, JAL or ANA).

Amer Airlines:

Through Miami or through San Juan **prob best to go Miami->JFK->BKK (or Sing-BKK)

Caribbean Airlines:

Through to London-Gatwick and you should be able to connect to a more direct flight from there

Through to Toronto and you should be able to connect to a more direct routing (best option is probably EVA from Toronto)

Air Canada:

From Barbados via Toronto or Montreal

From Granada via Toronto

Additional info . . .

If you're OK with breaking down individual flight segments for lower fares, you might want to take a look at JAL as they offer some pretty cheap fares from both JFK and SFO to Toyko (from there you might be able to book separate reservation from Narita direct to BKK).

Unsure of the timing for your flights, but AeroMexico starts service from Mexico City direct to Shanghai later this month. You might be able to get to Shanghai on the cheapie introduction rate and then book a flight to BKK from Shanghai.

You may want to try LAN through South America (Caracas, perhaps) to Sydney and then book JetStar onto BKK.

Korean flies from Sao Paolo to BKK (via LA). I have no idea on price differences.

Final consideration . . .

Because flights in/out of Carribean are so expensive to connect to mainline routes, you may want to consider a round the world or systemwide rate as these can often cost less than a guaranteed round-trip rate. (USA air carriers don't like to advertise their rates but they are available.)

Edited by arbiez

I'm no expert on the Caribbean, but I think the biggest issue might be your route of transit. FWIW, I don't think you will save any time leaving from Carribean going via US or Canada. So if you think the hassle going through EU is about time, revisit that thought.

From which airport do you plan to depart? Canouan-Grenadine Is, Bridgetown-Barbados or Grenada??? (probably best to book out of Bridgetown but you might be able to squeak a deal out of Canouan)

For many flights out of Carribean to US, you're probably going to transfer through Miami although American flies direct from Canouan to San Juan, PR. (You'll find fewer flights going through the other major 'hubs' like Atlanta, JFK, Houston, Dallas and the like). So given that you may find your best fares off the islands, especially this time of year, may be back through European continent and you will probably find cheaper fares from the EU than from the states.

Best recommendation (I'm pretty sure this will probably be your best price)

Caribbean Airlines: Bridgetown to London-Gatwick and Gatwick to BKK on BA or Emirates

BA: $766 USD each way from Bridgetown to BKK (via Gatwick--same flight codeshare)

Best recommendation from North America

JetBlue: Bridgetown to JFK for about $139 each way and JFK to BKK (or Singapore) on Singapore or United for about $1250 round-trip.

**UPDATE: I think this will probably be your cheapest bet.

You probably won't be able to book directly on-line, but the web allows a JetBlue (JB) flight from SFO to BGI-via JFK round trip (but not the other way around). You'll probably have to call JB directly to get the BGI to SFO via JFK routing. Using this routing gets you 139 from BGI to JFK and 119 from JFK to SFO each way. Combine that with 866 to BKK round-trip on EVA and I don't think you'll find much better. It's a couple hundred less but you add another stop and transit point.

• The reason I think the JFK to SFO doesn't show is because the SFO flight probably leaves before the BGI to JFK flight arrives (possibly requiring an overnight in NYC)
  • Alternative JB from BGI-via JFK to Las Vegas for 199. From Vegas you have the option to book a flight to SFO or LAX and onto BKK or book Korean Air direct from Vegas to BKK via Seoul-Inchon (does not fly out every day).

As for the other options . . .

US Airway:

Through Charlotte or Philadelphia. There isn't a good transfer point from either to a direct BKK routing and you'll need to take an additional stop probably through San Francisco, Los Angeles or JFK (on United, Thai, Singapore, JAL or ANA).

Amer Airlines:

Through Miami or through San Juan **prob best to go Miami->JFK->BKK (or Sing-BKK)

Caribbean Airlines:

Through to London-Gatwick and you should be able to connect to a more direct flight from there

Through to Toronto and you should be able to connect to a more direct routing (best option is probably EVA from Toronto)

Air Canada:

From Barbados via Toronto or Montreal

From Granada via Toronto

Additional info . . .

If you're OK with breaking down individual flight segments for lower fares, you might want to take a look at JAL as they offer some pretty cheap fares from both JFK and SFO to Toyko (from there you might be able to book separate reservation from Narita direct to BKK).

Unsure of the timing for your flights, but AeroMexico starts service from Mexico City direct to Shanghai later this month. You might be able to get to Shanghai on the cheapie introduction rate and then book a flight to BKK from Shanghai.

You may want to try LAN through South America (Caracas, perhaps) to Sydney and then book JetStar onto BKK.

Korean flies from Sao Paolo to BKK (via LA). I have no idea on price differences.

Final consideration . . .

Because flights in/out of Carribean are so expensive to connect to mainline routes, you may want to consider a round the world or systemwide rate as these can often cost less than a guaranteed round-trip rate. (USA air carriers don't like to advertise their rates but they are available.)

Thank you for an excellent and well detailed reply, your advice is very helpful.