IGNORED

Music in the bars of Pattaya.

yogi100

It is a generally accepted fact that people favour the music they grew up with in their adolescence. I grew up in the 50s, 60s and 70s so most of my favourite music comes from that era such as Rock and Roll and Tamla Motown. I remember such TV programs as Juke Box Jury, the Six Five Special and Top Of The Pops and my father's sarcastic comments such as 'You call that music' when he heard what I was watching on the box. I now make similar remarks to my son when I hear what he listens to. One of my pals is about 10 years younger than myself and he likes 70s and 80s music.

A few years back the bars often played music from those bygone days as most punters in Pattaya were of a similar age to myself. Now there are more and more youngsters arriving and their generation's music is all you hear. I believe a lot of it is Rap music and in some the songs you hear constant references to 'motherfuckers' and so on. Not really my cup of tea. Indeed the girls are of the same generation and like the modern stuff along with their Thai music.

There's a complex of bars on Second Rd near Tim's. We were in there one night a couple of years back and when we went to the toilet a bar at the rear of the complex was playing 'Something about you' by the Four Tops. We were drawn to the bar because of the music so we 'check binned' and moved to this other bar which was run by a young falang and his Thai wife. We told him the music attracted us to his bar and he said he also liked it and it was a surprise as he was only 24. Sadly the bar has now gone the way of many others in Pattaya because of its unfavourable location and the recent catastrophic low seasons. It's quite sad because he was a pleasant young fellow who deserved success.

I like catchy tunes and really like some modern numbers but my musical preferences are the from the fore mentioned decades and I would like to hear of a bar that caters musically for my tastes. In my recent travels around Pattaya I've discovered none. I would not attempt to get involved the bar business in Pattaya but if any bar owners and older expats read this I would be interested to hear their take on this subject. A lot of older punters frequent the Soi Bhukoaw area and might enjoy listening to similar music to myself thereby allowing a bar to profit from taking advantage of this situation.

I enjoy almost all types of music.

The only thing they need to do in the bars is turn it down so we can talk to the girls.

Agree with you there Ducar, be nice if they turned the volume down so you can her the girls tell me how hansum I am.

I like the music & videos in Tims gogo.

Al.

Edit: I also like this one, See my signature

Edited by Al.

The biggest music problem I have is with the " birthday party" type music/karaoke is that Rule 1 is that you can't have too much Bass. That knob is a switch here, not a control. Even if it's your party and you're brave enough to point out that the sound is horribly distorted and show them how (don't try) they are oblivious.

They have a similar attitude to the volume knob. When stupid farang gets up to singasong and bellows into the mic they never adjust the input for that mic blah blah blah.

It's not a Thai problem as such, because the bands around town know perfectly well how to work a mixer deck.

Tim's Bar is very good for video/music, but not very exciting as a GoGo IMO. In that area Oasis is not bad. The GoGo 2nd Road end of Soi 7 (or is it 8 - the one with the soapy) have got to be as good as Tim's for video music and GoGo. A lot of the GoGos are good for music.

When you have several open bars trying to blast each other away it's not much fun whatever they play. The Soi Diana complex are all linked to the same jukebox I believe. Most of the outside bar music I like is where they have live bands that play the blues/rock that they seem to like so much eg. the bar inside the run through from Soi 8 to Beach Road and sometimes Worldwide itself. Cosy Bar opposite BigC ish and a couple of bars near Soi 2.

When I was involved with a bar I had control of the deck and "DJ'd" the music remotely from a laptop outside the bar - a lot of the stuff you'd like - but the Thai lady boss opposite called Police - "Falang Work!" They came twice and when they asked to take my laptop and passport it was time to vanish.

Although I gave some CDs to the ex to play it just reverted to the usual noise. Most Thais IME cannot tell the difference between one farang song and another. Mostly true the other way round I suppose?

Edited by The Artful Codger

I enjoy some blues, jazz and classic rock from the 60's to 80's. Like you I don't go for THUMP.THUMP, BAM, BAM