Jump to content

Staying in Thailand for 2 years if possible


Recommended Posts

Hello Addicts

I am 54 and want to rent an apartment in Jomtien for 2 years approx ,I need to know how to get the correct visa for this length of stay without too much trouble of visa runs to Cambodia etc or leaving Thailand and re-entering again through the airport,all I want is the easiest and legally correct way to avoid any trouble on my return to the UK ,also I may have to return at short notice in the case of a family emergency .



Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think you will be able to get a single visa of two-year duration.


While you could explore the retirement visa option, the financial evidence and medical requirements can be time-consuming and / or too demanding. My own thoughts would be for you to obtain initially a one-year non-immigrant category 'O' tourist visa with multiple enties. This will cost c£100, but is pretty much based on self-certication. You will have to leave Thailand on a border run every 90 days; but that is the case whatever type of visa you acquire. It will also protect your status if you have to return to the UK for personal reasons.


After one year your options would be to repeat the process above, which may require a return to the UK to obtain a new visa. I am not clear whether you could obtain this in Thailand or at a consulate in a neighbouring country. Alternatively, you could explore the retirement visa scenario while in Thailand.


I would also suggest you contact the Thai Consulate in Hull with an indication of your plans and ask for their advice on your visa options.




It is their job, they are the experts and they are always willing to help.

When a man is tired of Pattaya, he is tired of life.


An Agent of DOOM - defenders of older men

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As above, you should start with a One Year Multi Entry (110 GBP) which you can stretch to 15 months, then either return to UK for another one, or go for the Retirement Extension from here, which requires 800k Baht seeded in a Thai bank a/c or equivalent pension/income or a combination of the two.

Don't consider Retirement Visa from UK - far too complicated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • COVID-19

    Any posts or topics which the moderation team deems to be rumours/speculatiom, conspiracy theory, scaremongering, deliberately misleading or has been posted to deliberately distort information will be removed - as will BMs repeatedly doing so. Existing rules also apply.

  • Advertise on Pattaya Addicts
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.