Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Getting SIM cards in BKK?

muffhunter1

I ordered a new phone unlocked GSM quad cell phone. Would like to pick up a SIM card ASAP when I arrive at BKK so I can place calls on the way to Pattaya.

I have never had a cell phone with SIM cards and am new to this, so pardon my ignorance.

Is there someplace at BKK to pick up a SIM card or will it cost to much there?

Where do you suggest I pick one up and what should I look for?

Thanks.

I bought my sim card at a 7/11 in Bangkok.

They were even nice enough to put it in my phone and do all the activation for me, only cost a couple hundred baht.

At MBK you can buy a sim card in a yellow package the provider is called true. That will cost you 200 baht and allow you to make 1 baht per minute calls back home wherever you are from which I think is a very good deal! They may sell them at the 7/11 also but not sure.

All major shopping centres usually have several Thailand phone companies in them similar to Aus. I just hand over the phone and ask them to set it up for which they have done eveytime. It's around $30 to get the SIM and some phone credit if I remember correctly. Making mobile phone calls is pretty cheap in Thailand

When you clear immigration and enter the arrivals hall there are several shops selling their respective services.

Opinion varies on what are the best. I bought 123 go and was able to top up credit at a 7/11.

So is it my understanding you have 2 SIM cards? One to get activated and another for minutes? Does your phone # remain the same or does it change every time you "top out"?

acoolbreeze- can I get up and running at the airport then?

Thanks.

So is it my understanding you have 2 SIM cards? One to get activated and another for minutes? Does your phone # remain the same or does it change every time you "top out"?

acoolbreeze- can I get up and running at the airport then?

Thanks.

Just the one sim. You are issued with a Thai number that will remain the same even after you top up minutes.

They usually come on cards that have a scratch off panel to reveal a code. You then dial the code in and follow the prompts to get more credit/minutes. I usually get a bar girl to do it for me. A cool feature was that you can dial a code at any time to get your credit displayed on the phone.

Yes, you can get started at the airport (so long as your phone is unlocked). It takes all of 5 minutes.

Good luck.

just another tip. when you buy the top up card either do it yourself or ask a bar girl to do it. Please don't hold up the line by asking the 7-11 cashier to do it for you, my beer gets warm waiting for these guys

just another tip. when you buy the top up card either do it yourself or ask a bar girl to do it. Please don't hold up the line by asking the 7-11 cashier to do it for you, my beer gets warm waiting for these guys

LOL...........Don't worry my friend I will ask the BG for assistance!

BTW...........Can I still use my coupons in line ahead of you?