Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Does have intl license make it easier to get thai license

gismosgolf

Sorry in advance if this has been discussed. I looked through the threads but could not find it. When you go to get a Thai drivers license is the process easier if you have an international license? I thought someone told me that on my last trip but like most things it could have just been the beer talking. Since I plan on getting a Thai license I do not want to get an international license if there is no benefit. Thanks!!!

If you have an International License you do not have to take the test for your Thai license.

Al.

You will need the international license for your American license to be recognised, once recognised and you have a Non-Imm. 1 year Visa it is pretty much a rubber stamp to get the Thai license. All I had to do was a supply a medical certificate stating I was fit to drive, obtained next door to the licensing office, a vision test and another test to determine the time it takes me to stop on a green to red light.

You might be able to get by without the need of the international license but for the small cost of them and the ability to drive in most countries legally I would recommend you get one.

If you have an International License you do not have to take the test for your Thai license.

Al.

That is both the theory and practical tests. You still need to take the colour blindness, reaction and depth perception tests.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Don't know about the International licence. I had one but they only ever looked at my UK one at road checks.

For my Thai licences, I showed my UK one, which includes the motorcycle category, and breezed through for both car and bike on the standard colour/reflex/vision tests. One year on I just renewed for 5 years - still no driving test.

If you want the m/bike licence and you use an International licence be sure it has the m/bike category on it.

A bit more chat happening here

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry in advance if this has been discussed. I looked through the threads but could not find it. When you go to get a Thai drivers license is the process easier if you have an international license? I thought someone told me that on my last trip but like most things it could have just been the beer talking. Since I plan on getting a Thai license I do not want to get an international license if there is no benefit. Thanks!!!

take one it makes it much easier and quicker. Mine was one from the RAC in the UK - in and out the licence centre in Pattaya in 2 hours

Don't know about the International licence. I had one but they only ever looked at my UK one at road checks.

For my Thai licences, I showed my UK one, which includes the motorcycle category, and breezed through for both car and bike on the standard colour/reflex/vision tests. One year on I just renewed for 5 years - still no driving test.

If you want the m/bike licence and you use an International licence be sure it has the m/bike category on it.

Same experience for me.

I got an International license for the first time this year. Because of the post

where someone mentioned that if you rent a vehicle and do not have one, the travel insurance can be denied. Because you weren't properly licenced.

I got it here at AAA for $15. Thanks to whoever posted that.

I didn't have a problem getting a Thai licence (1 year and then 5 year) with only a UK/EU licence (in Bangkok). Just had to do the colour, reaction and perception tests and then only once, for the 1 year licence. Very efficient and easy and not necessary to have an International Licence.

Thanks for the answers. Will get my International license at AAA then get my Thai license in April!!!!! Cannot freeeeeeeeekin Wait!

Thanks for the answers. Will get my International license at AAA then get my Thai license in April!!!!! Cannot freeeeeeeeekin Wait!

Don't forget you need proof of your address in Thailand or a copy of your work permit, plus a doctor's certificate to confirm you're not suffering from elephantisis!

I just got both my motorbike and car licences in pattaya a few months ago. I had an international license for car only, so i still had to take my motorbike and do the driving around the track, along with the practical tests, and questions.

For the car i only had to do the tests and answer questions. So having int licence saved me having to take a car up there, or hiring a car outside.

So i am not sure if the international was really worth the trouble.

I got an International license for the first time this year. Because of the post

where someone mentioned that if you rent a vehicle and do not have one, the travel insurance can be denied. Because you weren't properly licenced.

I got it here at AAA for $15. Thanks to whoever posted that.

Bro check the fine print of your insurance as mine actually states that i have to have a licence of the country i am in, and that international wasn't even accepted, thats the reason i got the thai licence. Yours may be different though.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my license in Aythaya a few years ago, basically you need a doctors certificate(not hard to get from a thai dr.). You also need proof of address as to where you are living in Thailand...this is not too dificult if you have an O visa and live in Thailand but may be harder to get if you are just there on a tourist visa as the letter of address confirmation needs to come from the immigration office and not too sure how they view tourist visa applications for a "proof of address" letter.

(I was very lucky at the time as I was living long-term in Thailand by going out every month on my tourist visa (now stopped by immigration) and although I was a bit concerned about asking immigration for an address letter it turned out I didn't have to as the local council officer in the area where I was living wrote a letter confirming that I was a resident and the licensing will accept that (It helps a lot if you have a thai girlfriend to sort these thing out!!!).

Anyway if you get thru the paperwork ok the rest is easy just a spacial awareness test &a colour-blind test..job done!.....GOOD LUCK.

I would like to get a thai licence now, however ill not be living in Thailand for a few years yet and when i do i will be travelling in Thailand for a bit before i settle, so whats the best way to approach the proof of address?

will get my thai license soon. also have a ntional and international license. called them before and had the same question. they told me the same as all other members here posted.

an international one makes it a bit easier for you. So why not getting an international one if you want to. but if you don´t mind making more tests and spending more time for your thai license, then just head on without an international one in your bag :001_Thank_You5:

will get my thai license soon. also have a ntional and international license. called them before and had the same question. they told me the same as all other members here posted.

an international one makes it a bit easier for you. So why not getting an international one if you want to. but if you don´t mind making more tests and spending more time for your thai license, then just head on without an international one in your bag :001_Thank_You5:

If you have an EU licence there is no need for an International one as well and only the basic colour and reaction tests to do.

All the right info above but a funny story re the OP question.

In November I was here 5 years without going back to the UK once so I wanted to celebrate the fact by doing something I had been meaning to do for most of that time my Thai Car & Motorbike Licence, & a Pal of mine who many know as Delik was coming with me as he had same as me only the UK licences.

We did all the ground work and as we had already the Car licence that was easy but as we had no bike licence we had to sit the 30 highway code questions which is quite easy anyway I got the pass and Delik failed, I had to go back at 1pm to do my bike driving test and he had to go at 1.30pm for his questions again.

So I did my driving bit and passed and went upstairs to wait for my licence and Delik had not resat the test yet so I thought I may try to help him, but the Thai lady who was the examiner took him to the back of the class so I thught ok I just sat and waited, 20 mins later he came out and was obviously annoyed, he had failed again and he said the Lady had answered the 1st 10 questions for him.

So anyway he had to go back the next day....fail # 3 then that afternoon...fail # 4 then the next morning....fail # 5.

That was it he said and he found out where you can get a guaranteed pass for 1500 so he did that and all the time the lads are taking the piss and calling him and winding him up, so he gets his Dodgy Delik Licences and a week later goes to BKK for a Dodgy Delik Deal and gets pick pocketed and yes you got it, they stole his licences.

Another Canterbury Tales Tale

Edited by Daveo

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

haha i know that geeeza,

dodgy DERIK he's a legend, dave you could write your own book about him :2Cents1:

"There's plenty more prostitutes in Pattaya" ©2012™

"Only Newbies go home when planned" ©2012

"I don't run a gogo, i run a dance academy" Â©2014

"Sauna and milkshakes a winning combination" Â©2015

Facebook Group ::: Pattaya Bar Crawls and Parties