IGNORED

Nakhon Pathom Province

Braveheart

Nakhon Pathom (Thai: นครปฐม) is one of the central provinces (changwat) of Thailand.

Nakhon Pathom is located in the alluvial plain of central Thailand. It is drained by the Tha Chin River (also called Nakhon Chaisi river), a distributary of the Chao Phraya river. The urban area of Bangkok has already grown until the provincial borders to Nakhon Pathom.

The name Nakhon Pathom derives from the Pali Nagara Pathama, meaning First city, and is thus often referred as the oldest city of Thailand. It was already an important center during the Dvaravati kingdom from the 6th century until the 11th century, however it might even be older. Some historians speculate it dates back to the 3rd century BC, when Buddhist missionaries from India visited there.

Originally Nakhon Pathom was a coastal city, however due to the sedimentation of the Chao Phraya river the coast line moved away from the city. When the Tha Chin river changed its course, the city was removed from water and was deserted, the population moved to the new city of Nakhon Chaisi (or Sirichai). King Mongkut (Rama IV) moved the population back to the old city in 1870, after the restoration of Phra Pathom Chedi was finished.

Major movements of people into Nakhon Pathom province included emmigration during and after the reign of King Buddha Loetla Nabhalai (Rama II) of Khmer villages (eg., Don Yai Hom village) Lanna (Baan Nua) and Lao Song villages (eg., Don Kanak village) as well as a major influx of Southern Chinese throughout the late 1800s and early 1900s. Currently Nakhon Pathom is attracting migration from other parts of Thailand, notably Bangkok and the Northeastern Thai and Burmese migrant workers.

The provincial seal shows the pagoda Phra Pathom Chedi, with 127m the highest pagoda of the world. It is located in the center of the city Nakhon Pathom, and has been an important buddhist center since the 6th century. The current building was created by King Mongkut in 1860. On the pagoda a royal crown is depicted, the symbol for King Mongkut's work on reconstructing the pagoda.

Provincial tree is Diospyros decandra.

The provincial slogan is sweet pomelos, delicious rice, beautiful young ladies.

The province is subdivided into 7 districts (Amphoe). The districts are further subdivided into 105 communes (tambon) and 919 villages (muban). There is one city (thesaban nakhon) and 14 townships (thesaban tambon). There are also 102 tambon administrative organizations (TAO).

Wat Phra Pathom Chedi Ratchaworaviharn is one of the main royal temple. Belonging to this temple is the Phra Pathom Chedi, the biggest pagoda of Thailand. The nearby branch of the National Museum displays mostly items of the Dvaravati times, most of them found within the Wat Phra Pratone Chedi.

Sanam Chan Palace was built by crown prince Vajiravudh 1907-10. It now houses one campus of the Silpakorn University as well as a King Rama VI museum.

Phutthamonthon is a large park devoted to Buddhism, located in the east of the province.

Suan Sam Pran is a big garden, located at the Phetkasem highway. Nearby is the Sam Pran Crocodile farm, which includes a zoo and has elephant and crocodile shows.

Paya Kong, said to be a former ruler of Nakhon Chai Si, fathered Paya Pan who is said to have built the pagoda at Pra Pratone for his father and the Phra Pathom Chedi at Nakhon Pathom for Grandmother Hom who reared him. Historical evidence is not clear. Nevertheless, Paya Kong's statue near the central market of Nakhon Pathom is much revered.

Extracted from Wikipedia: Nakhon Pathom Province

• 1 year later...

Bought a house in Nakon Prathom about a year ago. New house,12' ceilings, excellent workmanship, new estate, 3 bed, 2 bathroom, air con, carport, 450sq mtr. good friendly neighbours (all thai, mostly teachers,police army etc. but heard farangs have deposit on some places) 1.4 mill baht. BARGAIN.

Edited by nicko

"I don't know why I did it; I don't know why I enjoyed it and I don't know why I'll do it again" Bart Simpson.

Even dirty old men need love.

It's Better to have loved and lost than to have to live with the PSYCHO for the rest of your life!!

Bought a house in Nakon Prathom about a year ago. New house,12' ceilings, excellent workmanship, new estate, 3 bed, 2 bathroom, air con, carport, 450sq mtr. good friendly neighbours (all thai, mostly teachers,police army etc. but heard farangs have deposit on some places) 1.4 mill baht. BARGAIN.

That Chedi really is a sight. Some of "The Killing Fields" was filmed there in the 80's

Edited by Dr.Winston O'Boogie

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

• 6 months later...

Dont miss the National museum at the bottom of the chedi. Small but nice, good Djavarati pieces. Dont confuse it with the interesting temple museum.

The train from BKK to NP is nice and relaxing and very cheap. Returning by train is not really an option as the trains run late or very early. So a bus to Southern Station is the best option with all the accompanying traffic problems.

Never tried the Van to Victory monument. ANy input?

Dont miss the National museum at the bottom of the chedi. Small but nice, good Djavarati pieces. Dont confuse it with the interesting temple museum.

The train from BKK to NP is nice and relaxing and very cheap. Returning by train is not really an option as the trains run late or very early. So a bus to Southern Station is the best option with all the accompanying traffic problems.

Never tried the Van to Victory monument. ANy input?

No, never have. Always used the "sai tai mai" new southern bus terminal. i guess it depends what part of Bangkok you are staying in.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

• 2 years later...

Wat bang phra is worth a visit in np. Especially if you would like a sak yant.

• 11 months later...

Is there any girly nighlife there? Perhpas not full on bars but must be something to cater for the locals? I'm thinking of spending a few days up there.