Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

A Glimmer of Hope?

Kramden

Hi Guys,

My trip is now just 25 days away (finally!), and like all of you I check the exchange rates daily. As we all know the news has been very sad for months, but could it be that the Baht is actually starting to weaken vs. the US Dollar? Since March 09 the Baht has gained strength steadily, reaching a best of around 32.50/1. Miraculously though, the baht has been losing value, (only slightly) daily for almost two weeks. As I type this the current exchange rate on XE.com is 33.34/1. That is the best the dollar has been since early November.

So, anyone who follows these things.... Is there a chance that this trend is the start of a weakening of the Baht in general vs. the Dollar, or is it just a blip on the screen?

cheers

guess you will have the crystal ball. no one knows.

First time I came to Thailand it was 25 baht to a dollar. Came back about a month later and it was 50 baht to the dollar. good times

3 years ago at this time the Dollar bought 37+ baht, two years before that it was over 40. Right now I am calculating everything at 33 Baht to the Dollar for my trip in SIX days!

Hi Guys,

My trip is now just 25 days away (finally!), and like all of you I check the exchange rates daily. As we all know the news has been very sad for months, but could it be that the Baht is actually starting to weaken vs. the US Dollar? Since March 09 the Baht has gained strength steadily, reaching a best of around 32.50/1. Miraculously though, the baht has been losing value, (only slightly) daily for almost two weeks. As I type this the current exchange rate on XE.com is 33.34/1. That is the best the dollar has been since early November.

So, anyone who follows these things.... Is there a chance that this trend is the start of a weakening of the Baht in general vs. the Dollar, or is it just a blip on the screen?

cheers

The US dollar is up (rather than the baht being down). It's unclear whether this will continue through the holidays. See link

http://www.dailyfx.com/forex/fundamental/article/what_fed_watches/2009-12-18-0256-US_Dollar_Strengthening_but_Recovery.html

----= You spend nine months trying to get out…and the rest of your life trying to get back in! =----

3 years ago at this time the Dollar bought 37+ baht, two years before that it was over 40. Right now I am calculating everything at 33 Baht to the Dollar for my trip in SIX days!

Heh, I'm being pessimistic and doing all my budget calculations at 30THB/USD.

I'd be happy to see the USD get stronger against the THB but sadly there is still a rough road ahead for the US economy IMO.

When I booked my flight I was planning on a 32 : 1 exchange so the upward move is nice. I will actually be on a bit of a budget this time so any increase will be welcomed but in May the dollar dropped at least 1.5 baht during my two weeks. Any fluctuations won't make or break my budget but a few extra ST's on Soi6 would be great :001_Thank_You5:

Edited by wetwillie

I have been watching Asian exchange rates as well, and the slight slide of the dollar from October through November

was a bit disconcerting. However, the US economy is slowly showing signs of recovery, and if sustained, should be positive

for us US travelers. There is a connection to oil prices though, so you may want to look at the bigger picture.

If your overall buying power in the US goes down (inflation/higher fuel costs), then the small fluctuations in regards

to Thai currency will be insignificant. Changes of $20.- to $50.- on $4000.- for example, aren't going to make or brake you,

unless you simply cannot do with out that extra "roll in the hay" or 12 pack of San Mig.

You are dealing with a set amount of dollars versus baht for your vacation, whereas long term you may end up getting less domestically.

Be careful what you wish for.

<center>To know when to be generous and when firm — that is wisdom.

Most things break, including hearts. The lessons of life amount not to wisdom, but to scar tissue and callus.</center>

I hope so.

I've been expecting a drop in the baht for a longtime.

The strong baht is hurting their industry and tourism and compounds all the other problems.

Things never seem to follow logic in Thailand though.

:(

My first trip I got 54 baht per US Dollar. Its painful to see it in the low 30's!! :):2Cents1: I should have changed over some extra cash then. :GoldenSmile1:

Hi Guys,

cheers

Just BTW sorry to say but the XE rate is notoriouly inaccurate and bears no relationship to the everyday exchange rate available on the street.

for europeans the baht is getting worse about 3 weeks ago it was 49 for 1 euro now it is down to 47 hope it doesnt drop much further , i go for 11 weeks and spend about 8000 euro so even a difference of 2 baht per euro works out at 16,000 baht , thats 12 longtimes with the barfine

"And were you pleased?" they asked Helen in Hell.

"Pleased?" answered she,when all Troy's towers fell;

And dead were Priam´s sons, and lost his throne?

And such a war was fought as none had known;

And even the Gods took part; and all because

Of me alone! Pleased?

I should say I was!"

Lord Dunsany

• 3 months later...

Unfortunately, the baht isn't going down anytime soon. At least that's what I figure, based upon many factors.

So if we can't get more baths for our euros, dollars and pounds, maybe we could find a way to just make more money? ;)

Edited by shayhiri

I agree totally, Thailand has had many government changes and political upheavals, The Baht usually was not effected long term...GNP, Oil, Banking, stocks, seem to remain as more critical to exchange rates. We did have that extreem devaluation a few years ago, but Its just not in the cards for the forseable future... If you travel to Thailand often, then maybe its a good idea to gain some local based income to hedge the exchange rate...collecting rent is one that comes to mind. :GoldenSmile1:

Cheers