IGNORED

Getting a visa for Myanmar

TMTI

Hello,

next year I am probably comming to Pattaya to work for sometime, and because of the visa restrictions you need to get out the country after every 90 days. I allready made some trips to different countries around Thailand on my first stay, and now

I am thinking about seeing Myanmar/Birma.

Does anybody knows a good agency within Pattaya or surroundings, than can provida a visa for this country?

I am also intrested in people who ever been there. What hotel did you sleep and how did you book it?

Thanks allready...

Im not sure of any agencys who do this trip but i did do it myself back in january. Got a bus from Pats to BKK then another bus from Bkk to Ranong. Ranong is a small fishing town in the west of thailand and from there its only a 10 min boat trip to myanmar. The locals in ranong are used to visitors and were very helpfull. Visas can be obtained on arrival in myanmar.

I done this trip as i was sick of cambodian border runs and except for a 20 US dollar note (which must be placed inside your passport when passing through myanmar immigration) it worked out very cheap. We never booked anything in advance and had no trouble finding a guesthouse.

Thanks...

but I am only looking for an agency which can provide a visa, in or around Pattaya.

The trip I can arrange myself (flying with AirAsia to Yangon), but maybe somebody has some good hotel recommendations over there.

I did a bit of a search and found a travel agent that has Myanmar as a destination and has an office on Third Road. The details at the bottom of the page with an email address and phone number. I'm sure they will be able to sort you out: http://www.traveller2000.com/

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Thanks...

well besides the trip I also need a visa for Myanmar, and since I probably go together with my girlfriend (Thai), she needs one to.

I am allready checking and I am seeing prices around 4500 baht per person to arrange a visa by an agency in Pattaya.

Thats a lot, but will probably more worthwhile than spending in Bangkok two days to arrange everything myself.

The flight and hotel I can book myself (just checked airasia, and some sites of hotels around Yangon).

If anybody has more recommendations, please tell me!

• 6 months later...

I have been to burma a few times. Be careful where you enter as you may not be able to progress any further by land. IE some of the quick visa destinations will not let you go further inland without booking flights. ( EG Mae Sot )

I flew to rangoon .I didnt pre book any accomodation during 6 weeks (as the pre bookable accom is goverment owned ) and just turned up approx 10 dollars a night.There are plenty of places to stay off the main road in rangoon (high street ) in between the central market and the central wat/ tourist office. You take a right and there is one road that has a lot of 5 floor properties/accomodation Cant remember the names but they are cheap and safe.

One thing to mention is that you can actually extend your visa by a further 2 weeks in rangoon if you wanted.

The interesting ( sad) thing about Burma is that every time you visit there are new sites to see - places that have just been made open to tourists.

Travelling ( non flight/non governmental buses ) is tough. Prepare for lengthy bus rides of 15 hours to get to the next destination.

I would reccomend ( Myauk U / Lost city of arakan near Sittwe) . It is a serious journey to get there overland. Its on the west coast and is much better than Bagan in my opinion. There were only 3 other people there last time i went! So you more or less have a heritage site to yourself.

Also check out : Hpa an ( Karen state national day / burmese boxing ) Hpo win Dong Caves outside of Mandalay and of course Bagan. In my opinion Burma is much richer than any other SEA country in terms of historical sites).

Sorry i dont have too much factual info. Havent been there for a few years as in the Uk. But going back after July.

BTW the people are great , they will stop and buy you a cup of tea on the street . I had people pay for my bus ride. Great people and such a shame that they have to live under the current regime.

Just noticed this is an old thread ! Mai pen rai . Maybe you havent been yet.

Hello,

next year I am probably comming to Pattaya to work for sometime, and because of the visa restrictions you need to get out the country after every 90 days. I allready made some trips to different countries around Thailand on my first stay, and now

I am thinking about seeing Myanmar/Birma.

Does anybody knows a good agency within Pattaya or surroundings, than can provide a visa for this country?

I am also intrested in people who ever been there. What hotel did you sleep and how did you book it?

Thanks allready...

I don't have a recommendation for a Pattaya travel agent that can do a visa, but from reading other reports it tends to cost around 1800 - 2000 baht. I've always gotten mine from the Myanmar embassy in the US prior to arriving in Thailand. Maybe that doesn't suit your timing/plans.

Googling "Myanmar visa on arrival" produced http://www.myanmarvisa.com/ who say they charge US$30 for VOA service. Not a bad price compared against the US$20 the (US based) Myanmar embassy charges plus what I must pay to securely mail my passport to them.

For lodging, both times that I've been in Yangon I've stayed at the Panorama on Pansodan Street. It's not posh but I like the place. If you stay there get a suite (about US$40) instead of a regular room. The price difference is small compared to regular room. Good friendly staff and girl friendly. Their web site is http://www.panoramaygn.com/

The first time I stayed there I arranged directly with the hotel. Their response can be a bit slow - e-mail in Myanmar is not the best. The second trip I used Yangon travel agent that I found who provided very good service and reasonably quick response (because their mail server is in Japan -- never did get a clear story on how they did that). Their e-mail is http://www.suntravelsltd.com/ and their website is http://www.myanmarwalker.com/. I used them for all my in-country air travel arrangements and up-country hotels. Very pleased with their service.

Another lodging in Yangon, a bit more expensive, that gets good reviews is Grand Mee Ya Hta Executive Residences (http://www.grandmeeyahta.com/). I'll probably try them next time.

Trader's in Yangon often comes up in searches for lodging -- Though very comfy and posh I've heard it's been infested with United Nations staff ever since the typhoon -- maybe they've moved on. I dunno.

Edited by jasonbalmer

I travelled over to Myanmar, end of Oct 09, back then we tried to get a Pattaya travel agent to organise a visa for us, but in the end had to make the trip to BKK and go to the embassy our selves, only good part about using the Travel agent was she arranged for someone to pick up our Passports and bring them back to Pattaya.

I did read somewhere recently that Myanmar has re-started issuing Visa on Arrival in Yangon Airport, not sure if that is true or not, could try asking the Embassy in BKK.

While your there, try Myanmar Lager at any of their versions of a beer bar, it's a great beer, don't expect to find BG's in the bars, there aren't any.

If you want a little mongering action, jump in a cab, (don't pay him more than US$1) and ask him to take you to the "Fashion Shows" yep you read right, the pick I reckon is the Emperor, had myself a gorgeous little 32 yr old out of there a couple of nights, one of the best shags i've ever had :Macarena:

But be warned don't get in there too late, they close by 1am, one night I went there around midnight and they were closing down for the night, they will cost you no more than US$20, I found out later that one of the boys with us had one for the night for free, sort off, he was leaving and the lady said I want come with you, he said I don't have any money, she said thats ok, he gave her US$5 next morning and she was happy as larry.

:Puke2:

Have a nice trip, if you've not been already of course.

Bam Bam

That which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger