Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

licence for scooters

criso

just wondering before my next trip i would like to no if i should get an international

drivers licence for pattaya so i can ride the Scooters or is it a waist of time

becouse the thai police will fine you for something else

been done for the motorbike 3 or 4 times at this stage

cops ask for a lience alright but it dosent seem to matter

400 baht at the cop shop every time :GoldenSmile1:

Edited by fostraswift

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

If you are on holiday you can ride on your National licence - i think for 90 days.

You must have a bike licence to ride a bike

As fostraswift says, the cops dont care they just fine you.

However............ and its quite a big however...............be aware that if you are riding illegally then your travel insurance has no obligation to pay up if you have an accident.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

do check with your travel insurance! i did today (zurich) and found out that i cannot ride a bike > 220cc (however in the written terms and conditions it says 200cc!!) so i think ill go by the 200. i dont know if an international driving permit is required by AU citizens if you have the r-date thing on your license but i might get it just in case.

i think its stupid that pattaya cops wil fine you anyway even if you have all the proper licenses AND were wearing a helmet and breaking no laws. im pretty sure i will argue a little if i get pulled over, but it'd probably just be easier to pay the fine and move on as i wouldnt want to waste precious mongering time :Clap8:

edit: but at 400-600 baht maybe the cop is trying to barfine you? :GoldenSmile1:

Edited by erogenous

edit: but at 400-600 baht maybe the cop is trying to barfine you? :Clap8:

the 3 times ive been fined it was legit

1) 2 passengers with no helmet

2) passenger with no helmet

3) ilegal parking :GoldenSmile1:

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

I was pulled over and fined for biking up Soi 16 near the end of Walking St. the wrong way (it's one-way from WS). Thais were passing the cop and me all the time, doing the same thing, while he took my licence, refused a 'tip' and made me go all the way to Soi 9 to pay the fine. I then followed a Thai rider up Soi 9 from 2nd Road - Soi 9 is one-way the other way, but this was not marked by any sign. He was nice enough to stop and tell me it was one-way, and I should go back. I told him I thought it was ok as I only followed what he did. He just grinned and said: ah, but you are farang!

edit: but at 400-600 baht maybe the cop is trying to barfine you? :P

Now that definitely had me laughing!!! Good one!!!!!

:Good_One:

Allen

• 2 weeks later...

an international driver's license is worth it.

1.) you don't gotta carry around your real license, and risk handing it over to the cops.

2.) i had 1 cop differentiate between my US license and wanted an international license. he gave me a ticket, and when i went to soi 9 with my international license they dropped the fine.

3.) international license is probably more likely to be covered by your home insurance.

an international driver's license is worth it.

1.) you don't gotta carry around your real license, and risk handing it over to the cops.

2.) i had 1 cop differentiate between my US license and wanted an international license. he gave me a ticket, and when i went to soi 9 with my international license they dropped the fine.

3.) international license is probably more likely to be covered by your home insurance.

Actually, you are supposed to have your US license with you, along with your international drivers license.

(hence, the reason you got the ticket)

Allen

Edited by abinder

• 2 weeks later...

Wel i always carry an international license with me, i never had a fine , they always say its oke.

If im making an accident im pretty screwed tough, i dont have a motorbike license and the Scooters drive over 45km/h so they are motorbikes were i come from(holland).

If your home licence doesnt cover you for a motorbike then the International licence wont show it either.