Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

progressing beyond intermediate?

Scott Kevin

What methods did you use for progressing to an advanced or fluent level? I'm at the point where most of the books teaching Thai are too easy for me (except for Thai Reference Grammar). I've tried a few schools in Pattaya but I've been unimpressed with them.

I'm sure I make a lot of mistakes when I speak but people seem to understand me fairly well. My ability to understand what I hear is far lower. When I watch tv or movies I probably only understand about 30-40%.

I can read reasonably well and am currently reading a Thai novel that has been translated to English. I bought both copies so I can check my understanding with the English version.

I'm making slow progress but don't really have a clear idea of what I should be doing to improve at this point.

Any advice?

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Well, this thread sure didn't do very well. :Evil_Grin2:

For everyone who is around my level (beyond the basics but far from fluent) I found a great resource that is fun and not too difficult...a box of Tintin dvd's that have audio and subtitles in Thai and English. When I pause the video to read the subtitles I can understand almost everything (except for a few new words) but when I listen it is just a bit too fast for me to easily follow...perfect!

They were originally produced in French, then translated to English, then Thai so there are occasional errors in the translation (mostly with slang) but overall they are quite good.

The box set has 10 dvd's with 39 episodes that are 21 minutes long each. I bought it at B2S for 1000 Baht but then found it for only 740 baht at Boomerang.

Here's my vocab list from the first episode:

การควบคุม control/influence

การปราบปราม suppressing

จัดฉาก be set-up

กล้วยๆ simple

อำพราง conceal/cover up

หลงกล be cheated

พาหนะ means of transport

ทัณฑ์บน parole

ย่ำแย่ be unbearable

ลืมตาอ้าปาก to improve financial condition

สิ้นฤทธ์ be vanquished

ป่าเถื่อน savage

Once you reach a certain level and have the basics down it's just a matter of exposure and practise really. I haven't studied Thai for 19 years now but I still learn stuff.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

where have i seen that post before? :)

hmmm, why does your name sound familiar? :)

There are many ways to progress ..

The best however is to have Thai friends to chat to in Thai ... I have picked up ALOT of words that aren't taught in any of the 10 - 15 books on learning Thai I have (however thai-language website generally has most of them)

talk talk talk talk .. start typing in Thai and reading Thai to your friends on msn/other chat programs .. and you will notice a huge increase.

The only way to get better at listening, is again, practice and exposure.

Try the Benjawan Becker Audio tapes "Speak Like a Thai" series .. they have alot of sayings in Thai and then translated to english.