IGNORED

Grand Mercure Bangkok Asoke Residence Review

MintyCock

Grand Mercure Bangkok Asoke Residence

Hotel website

Tripadvisor Reviews

After a long bus journey from Khon Kaen with my girl, I decided to try this hotel. We arrived at 8am and expected that we would have to walk around in the Bangkok heat until the closer to official check time. None of that nonsense, all of the reception staff were friendly, helpful and had an excellent command of English. The rack rate for their cheapest room (1 bedroom suite) was over 11k but I negotiated a rate inclusive of tax for around 3300-3500 (forget the exact figure).

Despite it being 8am, are bags were sent to our room and were told that we could go straight to our room. In the room, we received some welcome flowers on the coffee table and a plate of fruit on the dining table.

About 5 minutes walk from Asoke station down Sukhumvit Soi 19. Despite it being a quiet soi, you are only a couple of minutes away from Soi Cowboy. The Soi really consists of other hotels, massage places, a few restaurants and cosmetic outlets until you reach the Robinsons department store.The hotel has a complimentary tuktuk service every 30 mins that will drop you off or pick you up from Asoke/Robinsons department store.

There are two entrances to the hotel, one which means you walk pass reception and another to the side which brings you to the lifts allowing you to bypass the reception. The lifts only work with a roomcard.

Lounge

The lounge had a semi flat tv which was hooked up to a stereo system that doubled up as the DVD player. The sound quality was much better than I expected from a small unit. Seating consisted of a comfortable couch which would've accomodated 4 people and separate lounge chair. Plenty of tables around you ahould you decide you didn't fancy eating at the dining table.

2l8u5jt.jpg

w9ekpd.jpg

15s7omv.jpg

Kitchen

The large lounge had a fully fitted kitchen which included all the cooking utensils, pots and pans, crockery, cutlery and glassware you would need including the washing up Liquid. It had a 2 hob electric cooker, extractor fan, microwave, boiler/kettle, toaster, fridge with ice compartment and washing machine.

zvwm6c.jpg

2i71we1.jpg

Bathroom

It had a massive walk in shower with a 'rain' shower unit and a separate pull down shower head. The bathroom also had a tub but was not large enough to fuck in unless you're an expert at twister. There was an assortment of towels including flannels, handtowels, bathtowel and some extra ones. Bathrobes and slippers are also provided. The complimentary shower gel, shampoo, body lotion all smelt nice and you had an additional beauty box filled with various bits to keep the metrosexual in you happy. You are even supplied with quilted toilet roll.

skykqw.jpg

l8ysx.jpg

jv5eh3.jpg

Bedroom

The bedroom had sliding frosted doors so you could close yourself off from the lounge area. It also had a separate air con unit and TV. This proved useful as my girl got to watch her Thai soaps whilst I watched the news or football. The bed may look a little small in the photos but that was because the pillows were massive and you get plenty of them. Having said that it was just a standard king size bed and not a super size king that some Sofitel hotels provide in Bangkok. Wifi in the hotel is charged at 600B per day but sat at the desk I managed to leech a open wifi connection which was sufficient enough. The curtains did a good job in so much as we were not awoken by light coming through.

29p9iy8.jpg

2zrdo90.jpg

Balcony

The balcony was small, narrow and had no furniture. If you wanted to sit, you had to bring out the desk chair. The view was nothing special, just of other high rise buildings.

11in01t.jpg

Facilities

There was a nice rooftop swimming pool with plenty of loungers and tables. It was not overly large but each time we went up, we were the only ones using it. The shower rooms (separate male and female) had their own sauna and steam room units.

2d9cx7p.jpg

Photo taken from tripadvisor

There was also a small gym which had a range of cardio equipment, resistance machines and a small stack of free weights. There was a plasma tv so you could workout whilst catching up on the news on listening to MTV. In the morning, they had a stock of newspapers too.

Staff

Excellent, knowledgable and always helpful. They would always greet you when you came in and were very knowledgeable when I asked about the (non p4p) attractions. The cleaning staff did an excellent job and even though we didn't use the complimentary bottles of water on the first day, they still supplied us with more and asked if we need anything else.

I think it is better value than the Sofitel on Sukhumvit as for the same price you get a 1 bedroom suite instead of a bedroom albeit a nice one. The quality of the service, furnishing and locations are comparable. I actually did not have to pay anything for my stay here. I will reveal how in a different thread.

1z71vm1.jpg

oqewpc.jpg

Edited by MintyCock

I agree with you fella...Love this place. Stayed there back during BC's wedding for an amazing 1900 Baht a night

Here are a few pic's to supplement your review my great mate

084.JPG

085.JPG

086.JPG

088.JPG

087.JPG

089.JPG

090.JPG

092.JPG

093.JPG

Elephants are really, really big compared to televisions....yet I saw a whole herd of 'em on my TV only yesterday..Go figure?
Oh..I nearly forgot..Ehhhh?

ALLEY

stayed there also

9/10 .

if the wifi was free or more reasonable than 500/night this hotel would be 10/10

stayed there too but my room does look bigger than yours as it didnt have sliding doors but a separate room! plus dudebrah's missus cooked a nice meal!!! :)

Edited by deadman

Ary ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba

"I kikiyat everything, I never kikiyat boom boom!"

lbfucker.gif

• 1 year later...

Looks nice.

:001_Thank_You5:

Looks great.

What's the going rate nowadays?

Does anyone have any recent experience?