Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

เข้าใจ (�ล้ว)

aitch

was looking to get a better understanding of how i can/should be using เข้าใจ (khao jai)

on the phone, if i wanted to say . . .

"ahh, i understand now" -> นี่เข้าใจ (nee khao jai) ?

"i still don't understand what you have said" (and then follow up with why) -> ยังไม่เข้าใจ (yang mai khao jai) ?

maybe i need to add มา (mah) at the end on those two นี่เข้าใจมา / ยังไม่เข้าใจมา ?

"yes, i know already" -> ครับ เข้าใจแล้ว (krab khao jai laao) ?

"i understand", like an acknowledgement -> simply เข้าใจ (khao jai) ?

I found that a confusing one, but eventually understood แล้ว in this sentence to just mean 'now' instead of already, e.g:

a - what does 'sanuk' mean?

b - it means 'fun'

a - อ่อ, เข้าใจแล้ว (oh, I understand now)

"i still don't understand what you have said" (and then follow up with why) -> ยังไม่เข้าใจ (yang mai khao jai) ? - same

"yes, i know already" -> ครับ เข้าใจแล้ว (krab khao jai laao) ? - I would probably just say รู้แล้ว, depends on the topic but could use saab instead but usually it's roo.

"i understand", like an acknowledgement -> simply เข้าใจ (khao jai) ? - same

Edited by herds

was looking to get a better understanding of how i can/should be using เข้าใจ (khao jai)

on the phone, if i wanted to say . . .

"ahh, i understand now" -> นี่เข้าใจ (nee khao jai) ?

"i still don't understand what you have said" (and then follow up with why) -> ยังไม่เข้าใจ (yang mai khao jai) ?

maybe i need to add มา (mah) at the end on those two นี่เข้าใจมา / ยังไม่เข้าใจมา ?

"yes, i know already" -> ครับ เข้าใจแล้ว (krab khao jai laao) ?

"i understand", like an acknowledgement -> simply เข้าใจ (khao jai) ?

The only sentence I would question is "nee khao jai" for 'I understand now' I would have just said "khao Jai laao" You use this phrase later so you have kind of answered your own question.

"Yang mai khao jai" is perfect as it is, no need to add maa at the end which would indicate a completed action in this instance and therefore doesn't make sense(ie pay nay maa = where have you been). The fact that you still don't understand means that the action hasn't been completed. It's very hard to explain, I hope that you understand.

I think that you should trust your abilities more; the first question you answered yourself and on the second you were fine until you tried to correct something that didn't need it.

I would just concentrate on observing the way Thai people use words like maa, laao and yang to indicate elapsed and elapsing time.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

"Yang mai khao jai" is perfect as it is, no need to add maa at the end which would indicate a completed action in this instance and therefore doesn't make sense(ie pay nay maa = where have you been). The fact that you still don't understand means that the action hasn't been completed. It's very hard to explain, I hope that you understand.

not sure why i have such a hard time with how มา (mah) can be used. ยัง (yang) i am fairly comfortable, แล้ว (laao) throws me off when it is used at the beginning of a sentence. I will put something together on a new thread for these three to follow up. Since i am getting more practice with live speakers on the phone, well, มา is just too important a word to not understand. Feel much better about this aspect for sure though. Clearest defintion i have come across so far DR. Winston. Thanks for taking the time to flesh that out for me. much appreciated.

รู้แล้ว (roo laao), will try that Herds. and the 'ahh, i understand now' script. perfect !

On the phone, I found myself saying 'เข้าใจแล้ว' (khao jai laao) and 'ไม่เข้าใจ' (mai khao jai) so often that i felt like i was starting to sound like a broken record. i needed to start clarifying what was behind the 'i understand' / 'i don't understand'. face to face conversation, you can pick up on some of this. on the phone, it becomes more important so that i can start taking things to the next level. figured 'ไม่เข้าใจ' was the more important of the two, so instead of simply saying 'ไม่เข้าใจ' i can now give a reason. 'ไม่ได้ยิน' (mai dai yin), 'ช่วยพูดดัง ๆ หน่อย' (chuay poot dang dang noi), ฟังไม่ทัน (fang mai tan), 'อะไรนะครับ' (arai na krab), etc ... just with that, phone conversations flow much better now. I was thinking i could breakdown เข้าใจแล้ว in the same manner.

aitch