Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Driving In Thailand

SP1

Can anyone shed any light on the regulations around driving in Thailand?

I'm visiting soon and staying with a TG in Korat (NE Thailand). We intend to travel around that area and further afield in her pick-up and will probably rack up a fair few km. She may well ask me to do some of the driving.

Is this advisable? I've seen traffic in Pattaya and wasn't even sure if there was a designated side of the road that drivers are supposed to stick to! I do assume things are somewhat calmer out in the country, and did notice the cars are right hand drive, so am familiar with this in UK.

Is a full British driving license valid?

Is Insurance (or anything else) a legal requirement? and if so is it all enforced properly?

I have heard about a laxed view on drink driving, but will certainly not be going there!

Any advise much appreciated thanks.

Life's too short!

I'm visiting soon and staying with a TG in Korat (NE Thailand). We intend to travel around that area and further afield in her pick-up and will probably rack up a fair few km. She may well ask me to do some of the driving.

Is this advisable? I've seen traffic in Pattaya and wasn't even sure if there was a designated side of the road that drivers are supposed to stick to! I do assume things are somewhat calmer out in the country, and did notice the cars are right hand drive, so am familiar with this in UK.

Is Insurance (or anything else) a legal requirement? and if so is it all enforced properly?

I have heard about a laxed view on drink driving, but will certainly not be going there!

My TGF is from Korat and i drove from Pattaya where i normally stay, and its a nice 4 hour drive. Korat is mostly a one way system on the main streets of the city but i had my TGF giving me directions so i had no problems driving. Your British passport will help but you will need an International Drivers License to drive over there and you get that in the UK its cheap so it would be worth your while to get one. They do take a serious view on drink driving believe me specially when you are a farang so that is a no go area. Yes its calmer driving out in the country and you drive on the same side as the UK. No you don't need any insurance if your TG has full cover for other drivers to drive her pick up, if she is not sure tell her to check with her insurance broker otherwise don't drive it. I hope this helped you to make up your mind cheers............

also if you are driving and you get stopped by bib

make sure you have a couple of hundred baht in with your licence

because even if you are legal im sure the bib will find something to

get you on as they always or mostly stop farang atm,s at road checks

in favour of thai.

as i was stopped 2 to 3 times coming from udon with wife and her family

and had all docs i required but still ended up having to pay them as sure as

honey is sweet they will find something the matter with vehicle even though there is,nt

happy motoring

get your international driving licence from your main post office

you will need to show your passport

thecaptain

Get international driving license from a UK post office.

Driving in Thailand is very easy. Most of the roads are of very good quality. I hire a car every time I goto los and drive about 400 miles up north the the misus's house. Never had any probs with BIB.

Driving in pattaya is bloody awful though and not advisable if you're not used to driving a car that is completely surrounded by motorbikes

Driving in pattaya is bloody awful though and not advisable if you're not used to driving a car that is completely surrounded by motorbikes

The usual motorbike rider's rule of defensive driving is totally unknown here. in fact the policy is 'big car look after little car'!!!! It's nuts and as a result many people get killed or hurt on motorbikes here. A lot of the time they don't even look to see if something is coming before taking off when parked or turning left. If you indicate to turn right some of the really stupids ones take that as an indicating for them to over-take on the right...same when you are turning left except that they try to slip past on the left...lol

As others have posted once away from Pattaya and other large cities it is a lot easier.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

In genral its quite save to drive in Thailand, provided that you follow some simple rules:

• A vehicle following you no closer than 10 cm is not considered to be tailgating.

• If the driver in front of you, especially a truck, flashes his left turn signal a few times, he may be telling you that it is safe to pass. But he may be wrong.

• If the driver in front of you, especially a truck, flashes his right turn signal a few times, he may be telling you that it is not safe to pass. And he will usually be right.

• If a driver approaching from the opposite direction flashes his headlights it may mean, "police ahead, watch your speed", or "don't pass that car, you fool, I'm coming too fast!" or "I have screwed up big time by trying pass this vehicle so please give me some room by heading for the shoulder."

• The largest vehicle has the right of way, except elephants always have the right of way and water buffalos come second.

• Expect buses, especially orange ones, to overtake on curves, hills and as you are approaching from the opposite direction.

• If you are on a motorcycle, and see an oncoming bus, expect another bus to overtake it; especially if the road has no shoulders.

• If you are overtaking a vehicle, expect another driver to decide to overtake you at the same time.

• If you are on a motorcycle or bicycle, keep as careful a watch behind as in front of you.

• If you have an accident, you will most likely be blamed.

• Learn to read the Thai script for Man and Lady for service station restrooms

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C.

Here some more essential Q & A.

A guide for farang drivers in Thailand.

Since arriving in Thailand 13 years ago, I have tried on many occasions to buy a copy of the Thai road rules, but have come to the conclusion that no such publication exists (or if it does, it has been out of print for years). Therefore after carefully observing the driving habits of Thai drivers, I believe I have at last worked out the rules of the road in Thailand. For the benefit of other farangs in Thailand, and the 25 % of local drivers who acquired their driving licences without taking a driving test, I am pleased to share my knowledge below:

Q: What is the most important rule of the road in Thailand?

A: The most important rule is that you must arrive at your destination ahead of the car in front of you. This is the sacrosanct rule of driving in Thailand. All other rules are subservient to this rule.

Q: What side of the road should you drive on in Thailand?

A: 89.7% of cars drive on the left hand side, 10 % on the right hand side, and 0.3 % drive in reverse (be on the look out for drivers reversing at high speed in the left hand lane of freeways, having just missed their exit). Therefore on the basis of 'majority rules', it is recommended that you drive on the left. However, be aware that only 80% of motorcyclists travel on the left hand side - the other 20% ride in the opposite direction or on the sidewalk. Fortunately, motorcyclists traveling in reverse are rarely seen.

Q: What are the yellow lines on the roads?

A: These are known as lane markers and were used by the Thais to help them drive straight after consuming their Chang Beer and Sang Som. Today their purpose is mainly decorative, although a yellow line is used to indicate a place that is popular to overtake.

Q: When can I use the emergency lane?

A: You can use the emergency lane for any emergency, e.g. you are late for work, you left the toaster plugged in at home, you are bursting to go to the toilet, you have a toothache or you have just dropped a hot latte in your lap. As it is an emergency, you may drive at twice the speed of the other cars on the road.

Q: Do traffic lights have the same meaning as in other countries?

A: Not quite. Green is the same – that means “Go”, but amber and red are different. Amber means “Go like hell” and red means “Stop if there is traffic coming in the other direction or if there is a policeman on the corner”. Otherwise red means the same as green. Note that for buses, red lights do not take effect until five seconds after the light has changed.

Q: What does the sign “One Way Street” mean?

A: This sign indicates a street where the traffic is required to travel in one direction. The arrow on the sign indicates the preferred direction of the traffic flow, but is not compulsory. If the traffic is not flowing in the direction in which you wish to travel, then reversing in that direction is the best option.

Q: What does the sign “Stop” mean?

A: This sign is used to indicate a junction where there is a possibility that you may have to stop if you cannot fool the cars on the road that you are entering into thinking that you are not going to stop.

Q: What does the sign “Give Way” mean?

A: This sign is used to indicate a junction where the cars on the road that you are entering will give way to you provided you avoid all eye contact with them and you can fool them into thinking that you have not seen them.

Q: What does the sign “No Entry” mean?

A: In general this sign means “No Entry”. However, when used on exit ramps in multi-storey car parks, it has an alternative meaning which is: “Short cut to the next level up”.

Q: What does the sign “Drive Smartly” mean?

A: This sign is placed along highways to remind drivers that they should never leave more than one car length between them and the car in front, irrespective of what speed they are driving. This is to ensure that other cars cannot cut in front of you and thus prevent you from achieving the primary objective of driving in Thailand, and that is to arrive ahead of the car in front of you. If you can see the rear number plate of the car in front of you, then you are not driving close enough.

Q: What is the speed limit in Thailand?

A: The concept of a speed limit is unknown in Thailand.

Q: So what are the round signs on the highways with the numbers, 60, 80 and 110?

A: This is the amount of the ‘on-the-spot’ fine (in Thai Baht), which will be multiplied by 5 or 10 (depending on your skin color and value of your car) that you have to pay to the police if you are stopped on that stretch of the highway.

Q: Where do you pay the ‘on-the-spot’ fine?

A: As the name suggests, you pay it ‘on-the-spot’ to the BIB who has stopped you.

When handing over your license place neatly fold amount of your fine under the driving license so that it cannot be seen. Pass it carefully to the BIB. Then, with a David Copperfield movement of his hands, he will make your money disappear. It is not necessary to applaud.

Q: But isn’t this a bribe?

A: Oh pleeease, go and wash your mouth out. What do you want? A traffic ticket? Yes, you can request one of those instead, but it will cost you twice the price, a trip to the police station, queuing up for at least 1 or 2 hours, forms to be filled out, a trip back to the BIB who stopped you to get back your license, and maybe then you will wish you had paid ‘on-the-spot’.

Q: But what if I haven’t broken any road rules?

A: It is not common practice in Thailand to stop motorists for breaking road rules (because nobody is really sure what they are). The most common reasons for being stopped are: a) the policeman is hungry and would like you to buy him lunch; b) the policeman has run out of petrol and needs some money to get back to the station; c) you look like a generous person who would like to make a donation to the police welfare fund; or d) you are driving an expensive car which means you can afford to make a donation to the police welfare fund.

Q: Does my car require a roadworthy certificate before I can drive it in Thailand?

A: No, roadworthy certificates are not required in Thailand. However there are certain other statutory requirements that must be fulfilled before your car can be driven in Thailand. Firstly, you must ensure that your windscreen is at least 50% obscured with English football club decals, golf club membership stickers or condo parking permits. Secondly, you must place a tissue box on the back shelf of your car under the rear window. Thirdly, you must hang as many CDs or plastic religious ornaments from your rear vision mirror as it will support. Finally, you must place a Garfield doll with suction caps on one of your windows. Your car will then be ready to drive on Thai roads.

Q: Can I use my mobile phone whilst driving in Thailand?

A: No problem at all, but it should be noted that if you wish to use the rear-vision mirror to put on your lipstick or trim your eyebrows at the same time as you are using a mobile phone in the other hand, you should ensure that you keep an elbow free to steer the car. Alternatively, you may place a toddler on your lap and have the child steer the car whilst you are carrying out these other essential tasks.

Q: Is it necessary to use indicator lights in Thailand?

A: These blinking orange lights are commonly used by newly arrived farang drivers to indicate they are about to change lanes. This provides a useful signal to local drivers to close up any gaps to prevent the farang driver from changing lanes. Therefore it is recommended that farang drivers adopt the local practice of avoiding all use of indicator lights. However, it is sometimes useful to turn on your left hand indicator if you want to merge right, because this confuses other drivers enabling you to take advantage of an unprotected gap in the traffic.

Q: Why do some local drivers turn on their left hand indicator and then turn right, or turn on their right hand indicator and then turn left?

A: This is one of the unsolved mysteries of driving in Thailand.

Edited by Benny10

Thanks guys.

Ahhhh ...now I understand why I it seems like general chaos ...because it is!

My first taxi ride (from the airport) - something got our drivers heckles up so he drove at full pelt, literally no more than an inch away from the car infront for at least half the journey (including the bridges!)

I couldn't help thinking at the time he was over-reacting and ultimately his efforts were fruitless as he couldn't keep up with the other driver all the way. Still, I guess he didn't lose face? in his own mind at least? :D

Life's too short!

LOL @ Benny10...very close to the mark! The only one I have an issue with is this one..

• The largest vehicle has the right of way, except elephants always have the right of way and water buffalos come second.

This one is only true for vehicles with 4 wheels or more. Just like the breakdown of relativity at the quantum level the laws relating to motorbikes are fundamentally different. They have right of way over anything including pedestrians on the footpath...lol Not only is there primary goal to be first home but they also endeavour to fill any voids made vacant by the larger vehicles.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I drove approximately 2100km throughout Northern Thailand last summer with my TGF, from Bangkok to Suhkothai, Chiangmai, Chiang Khong, Chiang Rai, down to Hua Hin and Pranburi, then back into Bangkok. Prior to the trip, I had anxiety thinking about dealing with driving on the wrong side (I'm American), road conditions, different signage, matorbikes pulling out without looking and myriad other worries that crossed my mind. I shouldn't have wasted the time worrying. I was pleasantly surprised by the Thai road system. Generally, the roads were in good shape, with excellent signage, and generally easy to find my way around. I went through numerous police checkpoints and was never stopped or hassled. Thai drivers will turn a two lane city street into three or four lanes, but you get used to that. The scariest thing was cars and trucks passing in corners. You have to stay aware at all times, and keep as far to the left as you can get, especially in the hills. I carried an International Driver's Permit, and rented the cars from Budget, with full insurance. While I would never rent a car while staying in Bangkok, I would not hesitate to rent and drive when exploring other parts of Thailand. Now if I could only stop turning on the windshield wipers when I mean to activate the turn signal.

Thanks guys.

Ahhhh ...now I understand why I it seems like general chaos ...because it is!

My first taxi ride (from the airport) - something got our drivers heckles up so he drove at full pelt, literally no more than an inch away from the car infront for at least half the journey (including the bridges!)

I couldn't help thinking at the time he was over-reacting and ultimately his efforts were fruitless as he couldn't keep up with the other driver all the way. Still, I guess he didn't lose face? in his own mind at least? :)

Nothing to do with losing face. He simply followed the first, and most important rule:

The most important rule is that you must arrive at your destination ahead of the car in front of you. This is the sacrosanct rule of driving in Thailand. All other rules are subservient to this rule.

Edited by Benny10

I went through numerous police checkpoints and was never stopped or hassled.

Sounds like the BIB you have seen were not hungry, had a full tank and school fees already paid.

Sounds like the BIB you have seen were not hungry, had a full tank and school fees already paid.

My TGF was kind of surprised, as well. I did see a younger white woman driving with a thai male at one checkpoint. They were out of the vehicle and the BIB were searching it. That was outside Chiang Rai. Probably looking for drugs.