IGNORED

Shipping furniture & personal items from UK to Pattaya

shaggy

Hello Addicts

My apologises if this is not the right section to post my query gents.

I wish to have feedback from fellow UK members who have shipped their personal items or furniture from the UK to Pattaya.Can anyone offer me some advice or oint me in the right direction.I am aware it WILL be cheaper to buy new furniture etc in Thailand.I am checking my options if it will be feasible to do so.Many thanks for your feedback.

Cheers

Shaggy

M.I.A.M.I~Money Is A Major Issue

Shaggy

Hi Shaggy,

I did this a few years ago and it went very well. I found a removals firm in the UK Yellow Pages. They quoted me a price for shipping my stuff door to door. Also, they offered 3 months' free storage, which was handy as our house was being built at the time. They arrived one morning with a removals van, packed everything up in handy sized cardboard boxes and off they went.

When the stuff arrived in Thailand, the agent in Bangkok phoned to say there was 12,000 baht cutoms duty to pay. Once this was handed over, the goods were delivered to our now completed :-) house and unpacked for us. There were a couple of very minor breakages but nothing serious. It wasn't even worth pursuing an insurance claim. This was in 2005. I paid GBP1700, including insurance cover of GBP5000. This was for a maximum of 120 cubic feet of household effects which went as a part load - being way too little to fill a shipping container. Coming to Pattaya, I'd suggest having your stuff shipped to Laem Chabang, which is only a few miles from Pattaya.

Before you commit yourself though, be aware that you can buy good furniture here at reasonable prices. Or you can even get someone to make stuff to order.

Edited by Colin in Pattaya