IGNORED

Vietnam Visa for UK passport holder

bazray

Hi all, I'm going to book a few days to Vietnam (Hanoi) I'm going to fly from Bangkok and I have a UK passport. Basically whats the cheapest way to sort out a visa for Vietnam. I have seen website that will write a letter of approval for about £15, is that needed or is it easier to do in Bangkok or on arrival?

Cheers in advance

Edited by bazray

Hi

I did it when I got to Bangkok. A little travel place down the Khao San road. Just took a couple of pictures and my passport, came back next day complete with visa, no problems at all. Can't remember how much but think it was around 1000 - 1500 baht all in. Didn't need any letter of approval.

1 bit of advice though, immigration on the Vietnam side is fierce! Make sure you have a name of a hotel you are staying in ready. I didn't because I was traveling with a mate and he was handling those details. The Immigration officer wasn't very understanding at all!!

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

Hi

I did it when I got to Bangkok. A little travel place down the Khao San road. Just took a couple of pictures and my passport, came back next day complete with visa, no problems at all. Can't remember how much but think it was around 1000 - 1500 baht all in. Didn't need any letter of approval.

1 bit of advice though, immigration on the Vietnam side is fierce! Make sure you have a name of a hotel you are staying in ready. I didn't because I was traveling with a mate and he was handling those details. The Immigration officer wasn't very understanding at all!!

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

No problem

RULES

1NQq.gif

Im based in the UK so I just posted off mines to the London Embassy. It cost £40 plus £8 postage. So that's certainly not the cheapest way to do it. I just didn't want to be hanging around the Vietnamese Embassy in Bangkok for hours until it was done.

That deal in Kao San Road sounds a good one though.

I agree with the advice about having a hotel sorted out prior to arriving in Hanoi. Not just for the Immigration (but that is a valid point), but the taxi's have many scams for tourists. One is that you name the hotel you want to go to and they will phone ahead to their partner-in-crime and tell them the name of the hotel is going to. Their partner in crime is in a low budget guest house and prints up a booking form with the name of the hotel you 'think' you are going to. On arrival at the bogus guest house, you are told, "Yeah yeah yeah this is (insert hotel name), the old one burnt down/closed down (insert excuse here)" and they will charge you a silly rate for a substandard room.

I recommend you make a booking with a hotel and have them arrange a pick-up at the airport.

Take a jacket or a couple of long sleeved tops for Hanoi. It can get pretty chilly at night (around 10-13 degrees celsius)

If you give Paul a ring at Thai Visa Express i think he sorted a mate out i believe he dropped it in his office and it was back within 5 days, they also do a same day service he uses someone in Pattaya.

He is really helpful guy.