IGNORED

Bangkok Hotel Internet charges

lostagain

I am trying to work out the logistics for a trip to Bangkok.

I have been to Pattaya but not Bangkok.

I need to be near the Bangkok Smile Dental Clinic on Sukhumvit 21 (Asoke Road).

Looks to be a bit north of Soi Cowboy.

The sticking points are:

(1) I am looking in the range of 1000-2000B/night.

(2) I need a good internet connection in the room.

(3) Hardwired connection MUCH preferred over WiFI.

(4) Of course guest friendly would be a large plus.

A number of the hotels I looked at advertise Internet WiFI but the fine prints has things like

(1) available free in lobby

(2) 150 Baht/hour connected net

150 Baht/Hour might be acceptable for checking email once a day but it is a deal breaker for me.

$1000US is way over the top for 10 days of internet service.

Any thoughts/suggestions/comments ??

How did 150 a day work out to 1000 USD?

150 baht a day for 10 days is 1500 baht which is basically $45 USD

I stayed at the Amari business suite and I got a "hardwired" connection for around 800 baht a day. They included the ADSL modem.

You need to understand that WIFI is an efficient technology and most places will offer it, due to the ease of which it can be offered to customers.

I know what your going through mate and I hope you find a place with a good connection

Thailand Airsoft The website is for sale. I am starting up a new Bitcoin project and need development funds... The Airsoft Site is being sold for 800,000 THB

Hello Lostagain...

I'm familiar with the problem you describe. I always look for a good (free, if at all possible) Internet connection, too. I find that many of the hotels which advertise "WiFi" seem to charge for it when you get there (unless they specifically say "Free WiFi"). And the rates are usually anything but cheap.

So, one solution which works for me is to use an external antenna, with some gain or amplification, and a USB adapter. With that, I can usually pick up a signal from True WiFi and connect to Green Bangkok which is a free WiFi service available in many parts of BKK. Unfortunately, the speed is limited to about 64Kb/sec. But this is sufficient for email although very marginal for Skype. One other minor annoyance is that they drop you off the connection after one hour of use (sometimes less) and you have to completely disconnect (unplug your antenna) and re-connect. But that's only a small inconvenience when you consider the price.

See: http://www.truewifi.net/th/promotion/green_bangkok.htm (which seems to only be in Thai, but will give you some idea). You have to sign up for an account but, if you're worried about supplying personal data (passport no. and an email address), it seems that they don't check on the validity of information supplied so whatever you enter will probably work.

You can see the antenna and USB adapter I use at:

http://www.frys.com/product/5398448 and http://www.frys.com/product/5279887#detailed

Something similar is probably available at Pantip Plaza in BKK.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Bakwan

P.S. One thing I forgot to add: If you get the antenna and USB adapter I mentioned, you should also try to get an extension (coax with appropriate connectors) for the cable that comes with the antenna. The one supplied is only about 1 meter long (which means you'd have to locate your laptop very near a window). I got an extension at Pantip Plaza which provides and extra couple of meters, making it much more convenient. (But don't get an extension much longer than this or you'll lose signal strength.)

Edited by Bakwan

How did 150 a day work out to 1000 USD?

Not per day ... I could live with that ... the price was listed at per hour.

150Baht/hour * 24 hours/day * 10 days * 33 Baht/Dollar(US)

Actually works out to $1090 (more or less).

OK ...

24 hours a day may not be realistic but it is as close as 1 hour/day.

Split the difference and it is still way too much.

>> You need to understand that WIFI is an efficient technology and most places will offer it, due to the ease of which it can be offered to customers. <<

I realize it is easy to install and saves loads on wiring cost but as a IT Manager I cringe at the possible security problems. Given a choice I will stick with wire. Not given a choice I will live with WifI or GPRS.

Edited by lostagain

See: http://www.truewifi.net/th/promotion/green_bangkok.htm (which seems to only be in Thai, but will give you some idea). You have to sign up for an account but, if you're worried about supplying personal data (passport no. and an email address), it seems that they don't check on the validity of information supplied so whatever you enter will probably work.

Thank you Bakwan.

As it turns out they do have a page in English:

http://www.truewifi.net/products/index_en.html

I will look into their service a bit more.

Their English page doesn't seem to mention Green Bangkok. But their prepaid services provide higher speed connections.

Bakwan

There is Ever Rich on the smaller numbered soi end of Suk. A 15 min walk from Asocke. and the BTS is just over head, and can get you there also.

THey have wireless internet as their internet option, and it is free.

The rooms there are small by any standard, but you can find their web site, it has pics of the rooms. But there is a smaller room size they have that has NO windows. Now, before you jump to conclusions, that is not always a bad thing.... it is the quietest room in the area. And, on most of the hotels with prices under 2000 baht, your window looks into someone elses window most times!!!

Every Rich is super clean and a good quiet place to stay. I stay there, as it is walking distance to all the Nana action, but far enough away that I am not bothered with all the noise.

Check the website. You should find the internet there OK enough.

It should be relatively easy to find a hotel with wi-fi included. If in doubt, email them to check first. A number of hotels, like the Compass Group, give you free wi-fi if you book directly with their hotels but not when booked through a 3rd party.

Somerset Lakepoint if booked through RatestoGo is just over 1,900 a night - incl free LAN internet connection.

It's on Soi 16 and the hotel tuk-tuk will drop you off at Exchange Tower at the Asoke intersection. From there it's a 5 minute walk to the Smile place.

Somerset Lakepoint

Edited by filibuster

:)

Ever Rich looks like a winner.

I even like the idea of the "Taylor Shop" as I need to pick up some clothes as well.

Ever Rich Web Site

PA Ever Rich Hotel Thread (2007)

PA Ever Rich Hotel Thread (2008)

PA Ever Rich Hotel Thread (2009)

Trip Advisor Ever Rich Hotel Thread (2009)

BackPacker.Com.Tw Ever Rich Hotel Thread (2008)

DSC00392.jpg

DSC00391.jpg

New Teeth, New Threads .... When done I should be "Hansom Man" .... 'course the wallet might be a bit lighter :)

Edited by lostagain